We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

PDF - Search & Replace

We are looking for a solution to search and replace fields or text string within a pdf. We were working with the API but we could not figure out how to accomplish this task. Any help would be appreciated.

12 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 21, 2005 04:57 PM UTC

Hi Thomas, The current version of Essential PDF can only create PDF files from scratch and does not have the capability to read existing PDF documents. However we do have plans for implementing reading functionality in the 4-6 months timeframe. We will surely try to implement search and replace feature if possible during that timeframe. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks, Stephen. >We are looking for a solution to search and replace fields or text string within a pdf. > >We were working with the API but we could not figure out how to accomplish this task. > >Any help would be appreciated. >

MD Martin Dolecek November 11, 2008 05:29 PM UTC

Hello Stephen or someone else,

please is this functionality now possible in present version (Nov 2008)? Is there some example in C# how to do it? Thank you very much, I must be fully sure, that this is possible now.

Martin

>Hi Thomas,
>
>The current version of Essential PDF can only create PDF files from scratch and does not have the capability to read existing PDF documents. However we do have plans for implementing reading functionality in the 4-6 months timeframe. We will surely try to implement search and replace feature if possible during that timeframe.
>
>Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Stephen.
>
>
>>We are looking for a solution to search and replace fields or text string within a pdf.
>>
>>We were working with the API but we could not figure out how to accomplish this task.
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>

SS Sri Subhashini M Syncfusion Team November 12, 2008 12:42 PM UTC

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

With the current implementation of Pdf.base, we can read an existing document with the help of class PdfLoadedDocument. We can extract the text and images from an existing PDF document by using the methods ExtractText() and ExtractImages().

ExtractText() method retrieves text content from PDF document and it does not preserve the text formatting style. We could perform search and replace operations over the extracted text.

Please do find the sample from the below specified location which demonstrates above specified feature and let me know if this helps.

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/pdf.windows/F3498/Pdf_Window_34980.zip

Regards,
Suba

AS Alan Schofield April 27, 2009 03:00 PM UTC

I've looked at the sample supplied but unless I am mistaken (I've not finished downloading the trial yet!) it appears to simply create a new PDF conainaing the text, with the selected test replaced.

What I need is a way to replace text in a completed PDF document, either in the original or in a copy. Either way the result must be an exact copy of the original exccept for the replaced text.

Note: there is no requirment to replace images, simply text.

BP Bhuvaneswari P Syncfusion Team April 29, 2009 10:46 AM UTC

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The current version of Essential PDF can only read existing document page by page or we can extract entire text or image without the position details in the document.

Currently we don't have support to find and replace text in the document. Previously given workaround will work in case the document contains only text without formatting.

We have logged feature request regarding this requirement. We will get back to you once the feature is implemented.

Best Regards,
Bhuvana

AM Anders Molin June 19, 2014 12:12 PM UTC

Hi,

This is an old thread, but is there any news about this.

I need to find some text in a pdf, and replace it with some new text. The text is formatted and I need to keep this formatting....

DB Duane Boldt October 20, 2014 09:46 PM UTC

I would also like to both search and replace test and search and replace images.  Has this functionality been added since this thread was started in 2005?

Duane

DB Duane Boldt October 20, 2014 09:48 PM UTC

I would also like to both search and replace TEXT and search and replace images.  Has this functionality been added since this thread was started in 2005?

Duane

PT Philip Tenn May 31, 2017 06:40 PM UTC

Hello,

I need this sample code, but I get access denied when trying to download it.

AK Ayswarya Krishna Kumar Syncfusion Team June 1, 2017 02:37 PM UTC

Hi Customer,    
Thank you for your update.  
At present, we do not support replacing a text in the PDF document using Syncfusion PDF library. However, we can find the texts in the PDF document using FindText() method. The sample provided in the forum is a workaround sample. But it has some drawbacks. We cannot retrieve the font name and the font color for the found text. While replacing the text, we cannot place the text in the exact bound of the text found(overlapping of the texts may occur). We will consider this as a feature in our product. Please let us know your requirements regarding the find and replace of the texts in the PDF document. This will be helpful for us to analyze further and assist you better.    
Regards,  
Ayswarya 

PA Paul October 16, 2017 12:33 AM UTC

wow! 12 years and still not implemented :-(... this is the only reason why i downloaded syncfusion essentials... 

glad to have seen this thread... saved me a time...

kindly announce once this feature is supported

PE Priyanga Elangovan Syncfusion Team October 16, 2017 12:09 PM UTC

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Currently, the PDF viewer do not support replacing the texts in the PDF document. The feature “Replacing the text in the PDF document” does not comes under the scope of the PdfViewerControl and we are focusing only in displaying the PDF document and manipulating annotations in it. We do not have any plans to implement the support for PDF editor and the support for finding and replacing texts in the PDF documents.

Please let us know if you have any concern.

Regards,
Priyanga.E

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon