We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

How to move Dashboard Metadata from local SQL CE to a SQL Server 2014 instance?

Hi,
While installing the Dashboard Server on my local machine, I chose to install the metadata in my local SQL CE.
Now, I want to get this metadata setup on a SQL Server 2014 in one of these 2 ways:
a) Migrating data from my local SQL CE to the SQL 2014 would be best.
b) Or in some other way get a default setup of the metadata on the SQL Server 2014.
Either way, once I do that I will want to make my local Dashboard Server start using the above new Dashboard Metadata (instead of my CE).
Thanks
Praveen

7 Replies

MS Makila Subramaniyan Syncfusion Team May 26, 2017 10:50 AM UTC

Hi Ramesh, 

Please find the response for your queries. 

a)Migrating data from my local SQL CE to the SQL 2014 would be best. 

At present we do not have support to migrate data from one database server to another. 

We will check this support and let you know before 30th May 2017. 
b) Or in some other way get a default setup of the metadata on the SQL Server 2014. 
Either way, once I do that I will want to make my local Dashboard Server start using the above new Dashboard Metadata (instead of my CE). 

To setup with SQL Server 2014, please follow the below steps,  

1. Stop Syncfusion Dashboard Server using 'Stop dashboard server IIS/IIS Express' Utility present in the desktop. 
2. Backup your metadata from the below location. 
%programdata%\Syncfusion\Dashboard Server 
3. Delete the data of Syncfusion dashboard server from below location 
%programdata%\Syncfusion\Dashboard Server 
For Example: C:\ProgramData\Syncfusion\ Dashboard Server 
4. Start Syncfusion Dashboard Server using 'Start dashboard server IIS/IIS Express' Utility present in the desktop. 
5. Now starup settings  page will be open.You can setup dashboard server using SQL Server 2014. 

Thanks, 
Makila S 

RP Ramesh Praveen May 26, 2017 07:32 PM UTC

Thanks for the info. I will follow b).

MS Makila Subramaniyan Syncfusion Team May 30, 2017 01:22 PM UTC

Hi Ramesh, 

Most Welcome. 

For migrate data from SQL CE to SQL 2014 follow the below procedure. 
  1. Download the ExportSqlCe command line tool from the link https://github.com/ErikEJ/SqlCeToolbox/releases/download/3.7.2.0/SqlCe40Toolbox.exe
  2. Open the exe and you can find the window with empty connections in left side of the tool.
  3. Right click the Data connection node and select “Add SQl Server Compact 4.0 Connection..”

1. Browse the location as “C:\ProgramData\Syncfusion\Dashboard Server\App_Data\DashboardServer.Sdf” and give the password as “dashboardserver”.

1. Right click the “DashboardServer.sdf”, and select to script Schema and Data

1. Now Save the filename for the script, default extension is .sqlce

1. Now select table windows will be open,Click OK on that window.

1. Now resulting script file (DashboardServer.sqlce) can be run against a SQL Server database, using  SQL Server sqlcmd command line utility.
  2. Open Command Prompt,at the command prompt type “sqlcmd -S ServerInstance -U Username -P Password -d databasename -i C:\DashboardServer.sqlce”.
  3. Now the dashboard has been created in your sql server.

Now you have migrated your meta data from sqlce to sql server. 

Now you have to change the connection string of the Dashboard Server to denote the new sql server database. 

Please follow the below steps to get the encrypted connection string. 
  1. Please download the utility from the below location.
  1. Extract the zip file.
  2. Run the following bat file 'RunDecryptUtility.bat' from the extracted one.
  3. Utitlity asking for the connection string to encrypt it. Please provide the connection string and press enter as below.

1. Now the encrypted connection string will be available to copy
  2. You can copy and paste it in the '<ConnectionString></ConnectionString>' node in the below file location and change the ServerType as ‘MSSQL’ as below.

C:\ProgramData\Syncfusion\Dashboard Server\Configuration\config.xml 
  1. Now you can stop the Dashboard Server using 'Stop Dashboard Server IIS/ IIS Express' shortcut in desktop.
  2. Start the Dashboard Server using 'Start Dashboard Server IIS/ IIS Express' shortcut in desktop.

Thanks, 
Makila S 

RP Ramesh Praveen June 7, 2017 01:47 AM UTC

So, I tried doing b) above - deleting the contents of the "Dashboard Server" folder. The first time it worked as mentioned, good! Now, I had to do it one more time, because I had to change the schema with which the tables were getting created in the database.

So, the 2nd time, I cleared the Dashboard Server folder, then stopped and restarted the Dashboard server (in fact restarted the whole machine), this time however, the dashboard page is opening with a "Internal Server Error"! Can you tell me how to fix this? I want it to go back to the "startup settings".

Thanks
Praveen

MS Makila Subramaniyan Syncfusion Team June 7, 2017 12:37 PM UTC

Hi Ramesh, 

Please clear your browser cache and start the Syncfusion Dashboard Server. Now startup settings page will be open and you can able to proceed further. 

Thanks, 
Makila S 

RP Ramesh Praveen June 7, 2017 06:49 PM UTC

Yes, clearing browser cache helped, thanks.

MS Makila Subramaniyan Syncfusion Team June 8, 2017 06:54 AM UTC

Hi Ramesh,  

Thanks for your update.  

Please let us know if you need further assitance on this.  

Regards,  
Makila S 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon