We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Grouping nodes System.NullReferenceException

Hello,

I am trying to group nodes to get a node that looks like the image atached in the zip file.
When I make a group and launch the app the group renders in the stencil. Once I drag the group to the diagram I get System.NullReferenceException.

Requirements:
- Dragging the group from stencil
- Editing annotations in each node
- Ports on each node in group
- Every square is a separate node

Attachment: NodeGroup_d3359d7b.zip

5 Replies

RA Ranjitha Amirthalingam Syncfusion Team April 11, 2017 09:03 AM UTC

Hi Olivier, 

Thanks for contacting Syncfusion Support. 

Please find the response to your queries as below. 

S.No 
Query 
Response 
I am trying to group nodes to get a node that looks like the image attached in the zip file. 
When I make a group, and launch the app the group renders in the stencil. Once I drag the group to the diagram I get System.NullReferenceException. 

Reported issue: Null Reference Exception occurs while drag and drop the group from Stencil. 

We have already fixed the reported issue and the fix will be available in our Essential Studio 2017 Volume 1 Service pack 2 Release v15.1.0.41. Please download the build from the following link. 

Please check the issue with our latest build and let us know whether the reported issue is resolved or not. 

Requirements: 
- Dragging the group from stencil 
- Editing annotations in each node 
- Ports on each node in group 
- Every square is a separate node 

Yes, we have support to drag and drop the group from Stencil. Also, we can add port, annotations to every node inside group and edit the annotations of every node.  

Regards, 
Ranjitha A. 

OV Olivier Verhaegen April 11, 2017 03:54 PM UTC

Hi Ranjitha,

I had already installed version 15.1.0.41 but the error still occurs.
Is it possible to give me an example project on grouping nodes, I don't seem to find any for my requirements.

I want to make the node attached in my first post. 
The user needs to connect lines to every small rectangle wich are filled with text, it must also be possible to add rectangles to the NodeGroup.
Also it would be nice if the nodes could be moved with the arrow keys on the keyboard. How do I enable this function?

Thanks for your help.

Olivier Verhaegen

RA Ranjitha Amirthalingam Syncfusion Team April 14, 2017 03:22 PM UTC

Hi Oliver, 

Please find the response to your queries as below. 

S. No 
Query 
Response 
I had already installed version 15.1.0.41 but the error still occurs. 
Is it possible to give me an example project on grouping nodes, I don't seem to find any for my requirements. 

We have provided sample to represent grouping of Nodes. Please refer to the sample from the below link. 

Sample Link:
GroupingNodes

I want to make the node attached in my first post.  

We have represented the same in the provided sample. 
The user needs to connect lines to every small rectangle wich are filled with text 
If we try to select the node, initially the group will be selected. Then we can select individual node inside group. Now we can connect nodes inside group using Connectors (through Quick Command). 
it must also be possible to add rectangles to the NodeGroup. 

Yes, it is possible to add number of Nodes to the Group. We have added 7 nodes to the group in the provided sample. 
Also it would be nice if the nodes could be moved with the arrow keys on the keyboard. How do I enable this function? 

We don’t have support to nudge the Nodes in a group. 

Additional Details: 

In this sample, we have added 7 Nodes to the Group. Also, Port and annotation(text) have been added for each node in the group. 

Regards, 
Ranjitha A. 

OV Olivier Verhaegen April 16, 2017 09:35 PM UTC

Hi Ranjitha,

Thank you for your example, it has helped me out a lot.

I'm still facing one problem though. I use stencil to add nodes and groups to the diagram.
So I also use xaml instead of C# (for adding nodes and groups to stencil).

I can add my group from the stencil to the diagram.
But when i delete the group using the built in delete button, I get the following error.

System.NullReferenceException:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Do you know what causes this error?
My project is attached to this message. It may be easier if you see it for yourself.

Thank you very much for your help.

Olivier Verhaegen

Attachment: TestDiagramCSharp_f8838b48.zip

SC Saranya Chandrasekaran Syncfusion Team April 17, 2017 08:53 AM UTC

Hi Oliver,

We have confirmed that the reported issue “Exception raised while deleting group” as an issue and a support incident is created under your account to track the status of the issue. Please logon to our support website to check for further updates.

https://www.syncfusion.com/account/login?ReturnUrl=/support/directtrac/incidents

Regards,

Saranya C.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon