We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Any way to work around an old, broken control?

Hello, Community!

I'm using an application that's using a VERY dated version of Syncfusion controls (v4.102.0.62 and v4.102.0.1003).  The company that made the application is no longer supporting it (stopped around 2011).  When Windows 10 Anniversary Edition rolled in, it broke the application which uses a small handful of Syncfusion controls.  This is a known issue, and for those with source code, you can get an updated version of the controls and recompile.  Unfortunately, while I have the knowledge to do such things (I'm a C# developer), I don't have the source code.

I looked at various ways of forcing the use of a newer assembly, and while there are options, this one is old enough that the Public Key Token is different (it has to be the same if you want to force an application to use a newer assembly).  I'm kinda stuck.  Does anyone have any ideas, including any MacGyver moves?  I've run out of ideas.

Of course, if there's a patched version of the assemblies in question, that would be ideal!

Here's the specific error:

System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
   at Syncfusion.Drawing.DrawingUtils.NCPaintHelper(Control control, INonClientPaintingSupport ncPaintDelegate, Message& m)
   at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.ThemedWindowDrawing.DrawThemedBorderColor(Control control, Message& msg)
   at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.ScrollControl.WmNcPaint(Message& msg)
   at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.ScrollControl.WndProc(Message& msg)
   at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.TreeViewAdv.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

And here are the installed assemblies:

Syncfusion.Core (v4.102.0.62, PK 632609b4d040f6b4)
Syncfusion.Grid.Base (v4.102.0.1003, PK 3cda94b1926e6fbc)
Syncfusion.Grid.Windows (v4.102.0.1003, PK 3cda94b1926e6fbc)
Syncfusion.Shared.Base (v4.102.0.1003, PK 3cda94b1926e6fbc)
Syncfusion.Shared.Windows (v4.102.0.1003, PK 3cda94b1926e6fbc)
Syncfusion.Tools.Base (v4.102.0.1003, PK 3cda94b1926e6fbc)
Syncfusion.Tools.Windows (v4.102.0.1003, PK 3cda94b1926e6fbc)

Again, bit of a longshot, but any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.  I'd really like to continue using the program, and with the exception of the add-in based on the Syncfusion controls, it works fine.

Thanks!
Jason W. Pegg

25 Replies

MK Mallika Kannan Syncfusion Team March 20, 2017 08:22 AM UTC

Hi Jason, 

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support. 

This reported issue is fixed in our latest version v15.1.0.33. Can you please sharing your product version? So that we can check and let you know the details of this. 

Regards, 
Mallika 

JP Jason Pegg March 25, 2017 06:14 PM UTC

Thank you for the response.  I appreciate you getting back to me!

I think there may be a misunderstanding of my original post.  As mentioned, I'm using an application that has an old version of Syncfusion controls embedded in it.  The old application was written by another company that is no longer supporting it.  The version can be seen in the assembly information I provided (v4).  My question is whether or not there's a way to update the controls so that the old application continues working.

As I mentioned, it's a long shot but I wanted to ask.  Please take another look at the original post and see if the request makes sense.  I am not trying to update my own software; this is not an application I wrote, nor do I have access to the source control.  What I DO know is that the application is using a Syncfusion control, that the control is causing the unhandled exception, and that it started with the Anniversary Edition update of Windows 10.  I'm just trying to see if there's a way to rescue the software.

Please see the original post and let me know if it makes sense, and if there's anything I can do to work around the problem.

Thank you for your time!
Jason...

MK Mallika Kannan Syncfusion Team March 27, 2017 11:12 AM UTC

Hi Jason, 

Thanks for your update. 

A support incident to track the status of this defect has been created under your account.  

Please log on to our support website to check for further updates 

Regards, 
Mallika 

JO Jojon March 10, 2019 02:07 AM UTC

Hi

I also get same problem as mention above. Can you also help me please.

Regards
Jojon

SP Subburaj Pandian Veluchamy Syncfusion Team March 11, 2019 10:24 AM UTC

Hi Jojon, 

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support. 

As we mentioned earlier in this forum, this reported “Arithmetic overflow exception after Windows anniversary update” has been fixed from 15.1.0.33 version. If possible, we request you to upgrade to our latest Essential Studio version in order to resolve this issue. Or else can you share the version details in which you are currently facing issue? So that we can check and let you know the details of this.  

Regards,
Subburaj Pandian V  

JO Jojon March 11, 2019 08:38 PM UTC

Hi Subburaj

From the right click of the file, it's looks like ver 11.3040.0.30.

Regards
Jojon

AA Arulraj A Syncfusion Team March 12, 2019 11:05 AM UTC

Hi Jojon, 

We have merged the fix for the issue “Arithmetic overflow exception after Windows anniversary update” in 11.3.0.30 and the patch for this fix can be downloaded from the following location. 

Recommended approach - exe will perform automatic configuration   

Please find the patch setup from below location:   
Advanced approach – use only if you have specific needs and can directly replace existing assemblies for your build environment   
Please find the patch assemblies alone from below location:   

Assembly Version: 11.3.0.30 

Installation Directions :    
This patch should replace the files “Syncfusion.Shared.Base and Syncfusion.ToolsWindows” under the following folder.   
$system drive:\ Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\$Version # \assemblies\$Version#\4.6   
Eg : $system drive:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\ 11.3.0.30\assemblies\ 11.3.0.30\4.6   

To automatically run the Assembly Manager, please check the Run assembly manager checkbox option while installing the patch. If this option is unchecked, the patch will replace the assemblies in precompiled assemblies’ folder only. Then, you will have to manually copy and paste them to the preferred location or you will have to run the Syncfusion Assembly Manager application (available from the Syncfusion Dashboard, installed as a shortcut in the Application menu) to re-install assemblies.   

Note :    
You can change how you receive bug fixes by navigating to the following link and updating your preferences.   

Disclaimer:    
Please note that we have created this patch for version 11.3.0.30 specifically to resolve the following issue reported in this Forum 129450. If you have received other patches for the same version for other products, please apply all patches in the order received. This fix was included in our 15.1.0.33 version. 

Regards, 
Arulraj A 

JO Jojon March 12, 2019 02:44 PM UTC

Hi.

I am sorry.. because i am not expert in IT. Can you help me to describe the step by step?

Will this patch apply for syncfusion software or apply for "xx" old software? The developer of "xx" old software currently is closed. I don't know how to fix this problem.

Regards
Jojon

AA Arulraj A Syncfusion Team March 13, 2019 07:10 AM UTC

Hi Jojon, 

Thanks for the update. 

Please refer the following step by step user guide to install a patch. 

Let us know whether this helps also if you need any further assistance on this. 

Arulraj A 

JO Jojon March 13, 2019 12:01 PM UTC

Hi
It's still difficult for me.. 
The "xx" old software have syncfusion version 11.3040... and i don't have syncfusion ver 11.3040 software.. currently i am using win10 entrprise version 1809 build 17763.348.. i am searching in the internet syncfusion software.. as you mention before that syncfusion 15.1 and above already fix for arithmatic problem.. i find ver 15.2 and  try install ver 15.2 with the option check intall to GAC... but i still get same problem..

Can you help me again please..

Regards
Jojon

AA Arulraj A Syncfusion Team March 14, 2019 12:30 PM UTC

Hi Jojon, 

Thanks for your update. 

Please try the following steps to replace the patch assemblies. 
  1. Take a backup of your existing assemblies from your project.
  2. Using Syncfusion Assembly Manager utility remove all version assemblies from GAC.
  3. Unzip the provided assembly zip file.
  4. Replace the files “Syncfusion.Shared.Base and Syncfusion.ToolsWindows” in the Bin folder of your project and ensure whether the assemblies are referred properly using Visual Studio.
  5. Run the project and check.

Let us know whether this helps also if you need any further assistance on this. 

Arulraj A 

PH Paul Houlgate August 28, 2019 03:51 PM UTC

We've just started running into this issue as well.

Is it possible to get a patch for version 12.3.0.36?

JP Jagadeesan Pichaimuthu Syncfusion Team August 29, 2019 11:07 AM UTC

Hi Paul,  

We have merged the fix for the issue “Arithmetic overflow exception after Windows anniversary update” in 12.3.0.36 and the patch for this fix can be downloaded from the following location.  

Recommended approach - exe will perform automatic configuration     

Please find the patch setup from below location:    
Advanced approach – use only if you have specific needs and can directly replace existing assemblies for your build environment    
Please find the patch assemblies alone from below location:   

Assembly Version: 12.3.0.36 

Installation Directions:     
This patch should replace the files “Syncfusion.Shared.Base and Syncfusion.ToolsWindows” under the following folder.    
$system drive:\ Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\$Version # \assemblies\$Version#\4.6    
Eg : $system drive:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\12.3.0.36\assemblies\ 12.3.0.36\4.6    

To automatically run the Assembly Manager, please check the Run assembly manager checkbox option while installing the patch. If this option is unchecked, the patch will replace the assemblies in precompiled assemblies’ folder only. Then, you will have to manually copy and paste them to the preferred location or you will have to run the Syncfusion Assembly Manager application (available from the Syncfusion Dashboard, installed as a shortcut in the Application menu) to re-install assemblies.    

Note:     
You can change how you receive bug fixes by navigating to the following link and updating your preferences.    

Disclaimer:     
Please note that we have created this patch for version 12.3.0.36 specifically to resolve the following issue reported in this Forum 129450. If you have received other patches for the same version for other products, please apply all patches in the order received. This fix was included in our 15.1.0.33 version.  

Regards,  
Jagadeesan

DA dario December 19, 2019 02:15 PM UTC

Hi we also have this kind of error in an application that has an old version of Syncfusion controls embedded in it.  The old application was written by another company that no longer supports it.

The syncfusion controls version used in this applications was 13.2200.0.29 using .Net 2.0

is it possible to have a fix for this version so we can still use this application?

Kind Regards,
Dario

SM Suriyaprabha Murugabaskaran Syncfusion Team December 20, 2019 06:52 AM UTC

Hi Dario, 

Thanks for your updates. 

Fix for the reported issue was included in version 15.1.0.33. In order to get the issue resolved, please upgrade to or above the version 15.1.0.33. 

Regards, 
Suriyaprabha M. 

SS Shanthi sri K July 31, 2020 07:25 AM UTC

Hi team Syncfusion,

I am getting this error  in my application , I am using  Syncfusion version 13.3450.0.7 with .net 4.5 . Is this already a known issue? Is the fix already available in newer versions?

Exception:
System.OverflowException

Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

at Syncfusion.Drawing.DrawingUtils.NCPaintHelper(Control control, INonClientPaintingSupport ncPaintDelegate, Message& m)
   at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.ThemedWindowDrawing.DrawThemedBorderColor(Control control, Message& msg)
   at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.ScrollControl.WmNcPaint(Message& msg)
   at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.ScrollControl.WndProc(Message& msg)
   at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridControlBase.WndProc(Message& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

VR Vijayalakshmi Roopkumar Syncfusion Team August 3, 2020 06:54 AM UTC

Hi Shanthi. 

Thank you for using our Syncfusion Products. 

Query : I am getting this error  in my application , I am using  Syncfusion version 13.3450.0.7 with .net 4.5 . Is this already a known issue? Is the fix already available in newer versions? 

Yes the reported exception “Arithmetic overflow exception after Windows anniversary update” is a known issue and it has been fixed from 15.1.0.33 version. Also the fix is exist in our newer version. If possible, we request you to upgrade to our latest Essential Studio version "18.2.0.44" in order to resolve this issue.  

Else, please let us know, if you need the patch for the currently using version "13.3450.0.7"? So that we can check and let you know the details of this. 

Please let us know if you have any other concerns on this. 

Regards, 
Vijayalakshmi VR. 

SS Shanthi sri K August 11, 2020 06:16 AM UTC

Hi Vijayalakshmi Roopkumar,

Thanks for answering my query. I have upgrading to latest 18.2.0.44 version and the issue is resolved.

VR Vijayalakshmi Roopkumar Syncfusion Team August 11, 2020 07:29 AM UTC

Hi Shanthi 

Thank you for your update. 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance on this. 

Regards, 
Vijayalakshmi VR 

SS Shanthi sri K August 11, 2020 09:55 AM UTC

Hi VijayaLakshmi Roopkumar,

Can we use the license key of one Syncfusion version  to another versions. To make it simple I have the license key for 13.3 Syncfusion can the same license be used for 18.2?
At present my Syncfusion is working in trial period.

VR Vijayalakshmi Roopkumar Syncfusion Team August 12, 2020 06:21 AM UTC

Hi Shanthi,  

Syncfusion introduced new licensing system from v16.2.0.*. Our license keys are based on specific version and platform. If you are using NuGet packages\trial installer, you should generate and register corresponding version and platform license key in your application.  

Also ensure that all the referenced Syncfusion assemblies\NuGet packages are on same version.   

Find below knowledge base article to know about which version license key should use in application,  

Please let us know if you need further assistance on this.  

Regards,  
Vijayalakshmi VR. 

SS Shanthi sri K April 29, 2021 11:05 AM UTC

Hi team,

I am using Syncfusion 17.4 version and facing below issue,

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Chart.ChartControl.get_IsZoomed()
   at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Chart.ChartControl.WndProc(Message& m)

Is this an issue from syncfusion framework ?

DD Devakumar Dhanapoosanam Syncfusion Team April 29, 2021 04:08 PM UTC

Hi Shanthi sri K, 

We have analyzed the provided stack trace details, can you please share the following details which will be more helpful for us to analyze the reported issue and provide a better solution at earlier? 
·       Can you please share the replication steps in detail with screenshot or video? 
·       Can you please share the chart related code snippet details or chart types and behavior using in chart? 
·       Please share the application scenario using the chart. 
·       If possible, can you please share the issue reproducing sample. 

Please follow up on the support incident created by you for further updates for the same issue. 

Regards, 
Devakumar D 

EL Eva Lidji-Arad August 4, 2021 02:59 PM UTC

hi,

We are using version 7.1.0.21 and lately we started to get this error ("Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow"),

can you make a patch to this version also?

thanks

YP Yuvaraj Palanisamy Syncfusion Team August 5, 2021 02:58 PM UTC

Hi Eva Lidji-Arad, 

We are not having the support to provide the patch for too old version. Could you please update the our Syncfusion package version to latest (19.2.0.51).

Please let us know if you have any concern.  

Regards, 
Yuvaraj.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon