We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Complex filter for grid

Hi

Is it possible to define a more complex filter in Grid.
For example I would like to show all rows containing a column that starts with "BB" or "DD" but does not contain "CC"?

Example:
Column 1
Column 2
Column 3
AAbbbCCC
BBCCC
BBAADD
DDBB
DDCC
BBDDCC
BBAADD
Now I want wo set a filter for column 2 like descrbed above. I would like to get a grid lie this:
Column 1
Column 2
Column 3
789BBAADD3
012DDBB4
BBAADD7
Is there a possibility to achive this?

5 Replies

VA Venkatesh Ayothi Raman Syncfusion Team February 24, 2017 01:22 PM UTC

Hi Bernd, 
Thanks for contacting Syncfusion support. 

We don’t have support for filter operator like notcontains for string column. In Grid has filter operators for string and numbers columns like as follows, 
1)      Equal 
2)      notEqual 
3)      contains 
4)      startswith 
5)      endsWith 
6)      greaterthan 
7)      lesserthan 
8)      greaterthanOrEqual 
9)      lesserthanOrEqual 
So, we have achieved your requirement by customizing the filter operators externally and perform the filtering in “notcontains” filter operators by using fitlercolumn method. But we need to initially define the filteroperator in create event of grid like as follows, 
Code example
@Grid 
<input type="button" value="filter" ej-button id="button"  (click)="buttonClick($event)" /> 
<ej-grid #grid [dataSource]="gridData" [allowPaging]="true" (create)="create($event)" [allowFiltering]="true" [filterSettings]="filter" > 

</ej-grid> 

@Create event 

create(e: any) { 
        //create event in Grid 
        var isNull = function (val) { 
            return val === undefined || val === null; 
        }; 
        var toLowerCase = function (val) { 
            return val ? val.toLowerCase ? val.toLowerCase() : val.toString().toLowerCase() : (val === 0 || val === false) ? val.toString() : ""; 
        }; 
        var b = { 
            //set the customized filter operator 
            notcontains: function (actual, expected, ignoreCase) { 
                if (ignoreCase) 
                    return !(!isNull(actual) && !isNull(expected) && toLowerCase(actual).indexOf(toLowerCase(expected)) != -1); 

return !(!isNull(actual) && !isNull(expected) && actual.toString().indexOf(expected) != -1); 
            } 
        } 

var a = $.extend(true, ej.data.fnOperators, b);// add the customized filter operator to default filters 
    } 
Screenshot 1: “Select the  operators in custom filter dialog on Excel filter” 

Screenshot 2:” output” 

Note: we have enabled the excel filter in grid. Please refer to the following help documentation for excel filter. 
While we click the button then we have filtered the specific columns by notcontains operator in Grid using filterColumn method. Please refer to the following code example and sample, 
Code example
@button click event 
buttonClick(e: any) { 

this.Grid.widget.filterColumn("Column2", "notcontains", "CC"); //filter the column based on customized operator 
    } 
Output

We have created a sample based on your requirement which can be download from following link, 

Regards, 
Venkatesh Ayothiraman. 

BS Bernd Schuhmacher February 24, 2017 03:22 PM UTC

Hi
Thanks for looking into my request.
Unfortunately it seems the problem is not solved. As soon as I click the button "filter" the other filters are reset and so only the "notcontains" filter works as it seems. As soon as I add another { Column1: 129, Column2: "AAbbbBBB", Column3: 1 } this row is shown to. SO the startsWith "BB" or "DD" filter seems not to work in that moment.

Can I add more than one filter for the same column with the filterColumn Method. It seems the EXCEL style filter is able to do this ...

Regards
Bernd

VA Venkatesh Ayothi Raman Syncfusion Team February 27, 2017 12:49 PM UTC

Hi Bernd, 
Thanks for the update. 
Yes, filtered column method removes the previous filter objects while filtering the same column using filterColumn API. So we suggest you to push the new filter objects in filteredColumn arrays and then refresh the grid content by calling the refreshContent api. Please refer to the following code example and Help documentation for more information, 
Code example
@Grid 
<input type="button" value="filter" ej-button id="button"  (click)="buttonClick($event)" /> 
<ej-grid #grid [dataSource]="gridData" [allowPaging]="true" (create)="create($event)" [allowFiltering]="true" [filterSettings]="filter" > 

</ej-grid> 
@button click event 
buttonClick(e: any) { 

this.Grid.widget.model.filterSettings.filteredColumns.push({ field: "Column2", operator: "notcontains", value: "CC", predicate: "and" }) //filter the column based on customized operator 
        this.Grid.widget.refreshContent(); //refresh the grid 
    } 

Note: In above code example, we can add more than one filter for same column. 
Help documentation
We have also prepared a sample for your convenience which can be download from following link, 

Regards, 
Venkatesh Ayothiraman. 

BS Bernd Schuhmacher March 4, 2017 06:06 PM UTC

Hi

Great. This looks like it is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks.

VA Venkatesh Ayothi Raman Syncfusion Team March 6, 2017 04:08 AM UTC

Hi Bernd, 
Thanks for feedback. 
We are glad to know your requirement is achieved. 
Thanks, 
Venkatesh Ayothiraman.  

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon