We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

How long does it take to install the documentation?

I downloaded the offline documentation package (sycnfusionessentialstudiohelpsetupcref2_124.exe) and installed it.

However, it's been stuck on Registering help collections, please wait... for the last 5 hours.

HlpCtntMgr.exe is running at 48% of CPU, and the memory consumption seems to go up and down.

How long should this take?

9 Replies

AW Anthony Wieser March 6, 2015 09:35 AM UTC

Well, it did eventually complete about 8 hours later, despite the window being unresponsive.

Alas, the documentation doesn't actually do much but list the members, not describe what they actually mean, so I'm not sure it was worth the wait.

KS Kathiresan Subramaniam Syncfusion Team March 6, 2015 06:09 PM UTC

Hi Anthony,

Sorry about the inconvenience caused.

We are checking with this issue and will provide you the response in very shortly.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Regards,
Kathiresan S.

KS Kathiresan Subramaniam Syncfusion Team March 7, 2015 12:37 PM UTC

Hi Anthony,

We regret for the inconvenience caused.

Q) How long should this take?
A)
Our Syncfusion Essential Studio Class Reference documentation installer v12.4.0.24 will take around 2 hours 30 minutes to complete the whole installation in normal machine. It will be based on RAM speed and Hard Disk.

In order to check this issue from our end, could you please provide the below requested details? The details to be provided will be much helpful to investigate the issue.

a) Visual Studio version and its service pack installed details.

b) OS with bit information.

c) OS language.

d) Framework installed version.

e) Help viewer tool with version.

f) Disk space availability of Essential Studio documentation installed drive.

Regarding this query “the documentation doesn't actually do much but list the members, not describe what they actually mean, so I'm not sure it was worth the wait”, we have checked by installed the Essential Studio Class Reference documentation setup at our end. It describes about the each members and what they actually mean as shown in the below image. If we misunderstood your query, kindly share more information to us.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Kathiresan S.

AW Anthony Wieser March 8, 2015 09:16 PM UTC

VS 2013, Pro
Version 12.0.31101.00 Update 4
.Net version 4.5.51650

Windows 8.1 Pro with media center 64 bit, English UK
Disk Free space 510GB
Help Viewer 2.1

Regarding my documentation comment, I was looking at members like
SfDateTimeCombo.FormatString

Also, SfDateTimeCombo.Value

It returns an object, which doesn't actually imply much of a contract.  What can I cast it to?

KS Kathiresan Subramaniam Syncfusion Team March 9, 2015 01:19 PM UTC

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your update.

We have checked the Syncfusion Essential Studio Class Reference Documentation setup with the same configuration machine as you mentioned. But it takes nearly 2 hours and 30 minutes alone to complete the whole installation. So, the 8 hours of installation time is purely based on your machine speed only.

Q) Regarding my documentation comment, I was looking at members like
SfDateTimeCombo.FormatString
Also, SfDateTimeCombo.Value
It returns an object, which doesn't actually imply much of a contract. What can I cast it to?

A) SfDateTimeCombo.FormatString property specifies the display format of DateTime in SfDateTimeCombo. You can get more details about this property in following link,

http://help.syncfusion.com/UG/winrt/default.htm#!documents/formatting1.htm  

SfDateTimeCombo.Value property returns the currently selected datetime in SfDateTimeCombo as object. It can be cast to DateTime as shown in following code:

DateTime.Parse(dateTimeCombo.Value.ToString());

Please let us know if you have any queries.

Regards,
Kathiresan S.

AW Anthony Wieser March 9, 2015 02:07 PM UTC

That kind of proves my point with regard to the documentation.

The FormatString isn't mentioned at all in the offline documentation
In the PDF and the page you linked to, it doesn't explain the values either.  it lists exactly one format string.  "hms" 
No documentation on what the fields mean though.

VJ Victory Jessie Selvam D Syncfusion Team March 10, 2015 10:38 AM UTC

Hi Anthony,

SfDateTimeCombo displays combobox for each part in DateTime based on the FormatString property. For FormatString="hms", it will display three comboboxes loaded with hour, minute and seconds input. The valid input elements for FormatString property is given as follows:

S.No

Input element

Description

h

Hour part in DateTime

m

Minute part in DateTime

s

Seconds part in DateTime

y

Year part in DateTime

M

Month part in DateTime

d

Date part in DateTime

t

AM/PM string in DateTime

We will update our documentation for SfDateTimeCombo.FormatString property and let you know once it get published.

Please let us know if you need further assistance on this.

Regards,
Jessie

EW Ewen Wallace replied to Kathiresan Subramaniam January 9, 2017 09:58 AM UTC

Hi Anthony,

A)
Our Syncfusion Essential Studio Class Reference documentation installer v12.4.0.24 will take around 2 hours 30 minutes to complete the whole installation in normal machine. It will be based on RAM speed and Hard Disk.

In order to check this issue from our end, could you please provide the below requested details? The details to be provided will be much helpful to investigate the issue.

a) Visual Studio version and its service pack installed details.

b) OS with bit information.

c) OS language.

d) Framework installed version.

e) Help viewer tool with version.

f) Disk space availability of Essential Studio documentation installed drive.

Regarding this query “the documentation doesn't actually do much but list the members, not describe what they actually mean, so I'm not sure it was worth the wait”, we have checked by installed the Essential Studio Class Reference documentation setup at our end. It describes about the each members and what they actually mean as shown in the below image. If we misunderstood your query, kindly share more information to us.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Kathiresan S.

A)

What!? 

A warning about that would have been nice. I installed it right in the middle of doing something - does this now mean I can't use Visual Studio until tomorrow?

MS Manivannan Sundararajan Syncfusion Team January 10, 2017 12:26 PM UTC

Hi Ewen,

Thanks for contacting Syncfusion support.

Please find the following responses for your queries.

Q1) A warning about that would have been nice.

A1) Thanks for your suggestions. We’ll consider this as our future enhancement and provide this in any of our upcoming volume releases.

Q2) I installed it right in the middle of doing something - does this now mean I can't use Visual Studio until tomorrow?

A2) No, you can continue using the Visual Studio when the offline documentation installation is going on. Offline documentation installation will not affect the other instances of Visual Studio.

Regards,
Manivannan S.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon