We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Permanent trackball

Hello,

I'm working on a scatter series charting project right now and one of the requirements is a "permanent trackball" - a vertical line marker of sorts that a user could shift around horizontally to "mark" datapoints with the ability to snap to it if close enough. This behavior is very similar to that of the trackball already present, however that is not permanent (and I am not sure if it can provide a binding for the "currently highlighted data point".

Is there any way to implement this? If possible via some bindings (I'd like to avoid code-behind) - if it's not possible, I'll have to live with it, though.

Thank you,
T.D.

7 Replies

DA Devi Aruna Maharasi Murugan Syncfusion Team October 3, 2016 12:49 PM UTC

Hi Thanh, 

Thanks for contacting Syncfusion Support. 

Your requirement can be achieved by VerticalLineAnnoation of SfChart. We have prepared a demo sample for your reference and it can be downloaded from below link, 

Sample: ChartTrackBall 

Please refer below UG documentation link to know more about annotation, 

Regards, 
Devi 

TT Thanh Tomas Dang October 5, 2016 06:26 AM UTC

Hello Devi!

First, thank you so much for your example! This works quite well for me. One thing I'd like to ask is - is it possible to snap the vertical line annotation to the data points?

Thank you again,
Thanh

DA Devi Aruna Maharasi Murugan Syncfusion Team October 6, 2016 01:24 PM UTC

Hi Thanh, 

Thanks for your update. 

We have achieved your requirement (mark data point in trackball) by custom trackball behavior. In custom trackball behavior class , we have to set the data point for placing trackball as like in below code 

private void CalculatePoint() 
  { 
     var xPoint = this.ChartArea.ValueToPoint(ChartArea.PrimaryAxis, 2); 
     var yPoint = this.ChartArea.ValueToPoint(ChartArea.SecondaryAxis, 32); 
     if (this.AdorningCanvas != null) 
          OnPointerPositionChanged(new Point(xPoint, yPoint)); 

} 

We have prepared a demo sample for your reference and it can be downloaded from below link, 

Regards, 
Devi 

TT Thanh Tomas Dang October 7, 2016 08:52 AM UTC

Hi Devi,

is the trackball movable?

What I meant/need is a vertical line (It doesn't really matter if it is an annotation or an actual trackball) that I can move around left and right. If it is near a datapoint, it should snap to the point, but I can still move it.

It sounds like a hard thing to do, I tried using Drag Delta events to snap the annotation to the points, but it seems like it doesn't work and only Drag Completed works.

Thank you,
Thanh

DA Devi Aruna Maharasi Murugan Syncfusion Team October 10, 2016 12:10 PM UTC

Hi Thanh, 

Thanks for your update. 

We are able to achieve your requirement with FindNearestChartPoint method of chart series in DragCompleted event of annotation.We have prepared a demo sample for your requirement and it can be downloaded from below link, 

Sample: DragCompleted 

Regards, 
Devi 

TT Thanh Tomas Dang October 10, 2016 12:13 PM UTC

Thank you Devi,

this is what I needed!

Best regards,
Thanh

DA Devi Aruna Maharasi Murugan Syncfusion Team October 11, 2016 04:20 AM UTC

Hi Thanh, 

Thanks for your update. 

Please let us know, if you need any further assistance. 

Regards, 
Devi 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon