We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Is there a way to detect when the user is done typing their search term?

I can't currently use sfautocomplete in my Xamarin.Forms dictionary app: Unlike the SearchBar control from Xamarin sfautocomplete doesn't support the Completed event that would fire when the user is done entering data into the autocomplete field, which normally happens when the user taps the Done button on the keyboard. This is useful when the user chooses to enter the whole search term by hand without relying on the suggestion from the autocomplete control.

If there is a way to detect when the user is done entering their search term by hand, I'd like to know how to do that.

9 Replies

PK Pavendhan Kumar Syncfusion Team August 29, 2016 12:29 PM UTC

Hi Alexei,

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support.

Query: Completed Event not available in SfAutoComplete.

Currently we do not have Completed Event support in AutoComplete. So we have considered your request as feature and planned to implement the Completed event. If you could confirm some specific details, it would help us to implement the feature in line with your requirement.

"Completed Event will be triggered if user clicks the done button on keypad".

If our definition of the feature is different from your requirement, then let us know the specific details, so that we can work towards fulfilling your requirement.

Regards,
Pavendhan K.

EE Espen Evje September 15, 2017 08:33 AM UTC

Hi,

is there any news about the "Completed" event for the SfAutoComplete control?

My requirement is the same as Alexei. The Completed event should fire when the user is finished typing and click "Done" on the device keyboard.

This will often be the case when the "SuggestAppend" property is set to true and the user starts typing a few characters. If there is a match, then the suggestion is appended to whatever the user was typing and he could just press "Done" on the keyboard. I need to perform some action when this happens. Should be the same as when the user click the suggestion from the dropdown.

Any workarounds available while waiting for the event?

/espen

SK Selva Kumar  Veerakrishnan Syncfusion Team September 18, 2017 12:39 PM UTC

Hi Espen,

Thanks for your response.

We have planned to include the "CompletedEvent" in SfAutoComplete in our Volume 3 Service pack 2. This release will be expected to be rolled out by end of September.

Regards,
Selva Kumar V.

EE Espen Evje October 3, 2017 08:15 AM UTC

Hi, I cannot find the "CompletedEvent" in the new release v15.3.0.33 as suggested.

Is this event still not supported and do you know when it is planned to be supported?

/espen

SK Selva Kumar  Veerakrishnan Syncfusion Team October 4, 2017 02:31 PM UTC

Hi Espen,

We can achieve the Completed event by using "SelectionChanged event" in the Sample. In the SfAutoComplete control when we press "Done" button on keyboard the SelectionChanged event get fired. In this you can get the complete text from the suggestion list which is Append on the SfAutoComplete text box. Please download the sample from the link given below to achieve this requirement. Also use our latest Volume 3 Service pack 2 assemblies to achieve this behaviour.

Sample link: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/general/ze/AutoComplete_2-618157227.zip

Please let us know if you have any concern on this.

Regards,
Selva Kumar V.

KK Kalle Koskinen December 9, 2017 08:37 PM UTC

I'm not seeing the SelectionChanged event fire when pressing done on keyboard.
It only fires when selecting item from the autocomplete list.
I'm using nuget package 
15.4.0.17 and testing on android emulator and Oreo device.

SK Selva Kumar  Veerakrishnan Syncfusion Team December 11, 2017 11:47 AM UTC

Hi Kalle Koskinen,

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support.

A support incident to track the status of this query has been created under your account.

Please log on to our support website to check for further updates.

Link: https://www.syncfusion.com/account/login?ReturnUrl=%2fsupport%2fdirecttrac%2fincidents/  

Regards,
Selva Kumar V.

SY sung yong lee May 7, 2018 06:16 PM UTC

In SfAutoComplete, after completing the physical keyboard on the android device via the usb port and entering the enter key, the Completed event does not occur.

RB Rabhia Beham Kathar Mideenar Syncfusion Team May 8, 2018 09:26 AM UTC

Hi Sung,

Thanks for Contacting Syncfusion Support.

We have checked the reported issue using SfAutoComplete Control. We could able to reproduce the issue with latest Syncfusion assemblies. We have logged the defect report for the same. We are currently working on the issue and the issue fix will be available in Volume 2 Sp 1 Release which is expected to be rolled out by the end of June 2018.

Please let us know if you have any concern.

Regards,
Rabhia Beham K.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon