We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Edit control for word-like text control?

I'm looking into using the edit control as a souped-up RTF text box in my application. The users will be using the text box for writing long paragraphs of text. I'd like to incorporate spell checking (via Word -- wordApp.CheckSpelling returns a boolean if the selection has a spelling error or not) with a word-like color-wave underline. Unfortunately, I can't find much information about it in your documentation. Can someone point me in the right direction?

1 Reply

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 8, 2002 11:51 AM UTC

Amanda, The relevant functions for wave line handling are listed in the Class Reference for EditControl. To draw a wave line, the location range and the color group of the wave line needs to be specified. There are eight defaults wave line color groups: Wave Line Black, Wave Line Blue, Wave Line Cyan, Wave Line Green, Wave Line Purple, Wave Line Red, Wave Line White, and Wave Line Yellow. A couple of samples are given below: 1) To draw a red wave line for all the text at line 10, use AddWaveLine(10, "Wave Line Red"); 2) To draw a red wave line from line 10/char 5 to line 12/char 10, use AddWaveLine(10, 5, 12, 10, "Wave Line Red"); To remove wave lines, the location range needs to be specified, e.g., 1) To remove all the wave lines at line 10, use RemoveWaveLines(10); 2) To remove all the wave lines from line 10/char 5 to line 12/char 10, use RemoveWaveLines(10, 5, 12, 10); Also, any change in a line will remove all the wave lines at that line. A sample packed with Essential Edit, WaveLineDemo, is a good reference for those functions. Based on your description of your application, it seems that the locations of wrong words (for wave lines) are not easy to determine. If you need more help or some customized wave line functions, please log an incident and a support engineer will be available. Thanks for choosing Essential Suite. -Syncfusion Technical Support Please note: The primary function of Essential Edit is to parse keywords or comments of a programming language and give colored displaying of obtained elements. It is similar to code editors in Visual Studio and other IDEs. It is quite different from RichTextBox, e.g., RichTextBox allows mixed styles for different text while Essential Edit does not; Essential Edit automatically parses syntax coloring information while RichTextBox does not, etc. Thus please consider those differences when replacing RichTextBox with Essential Edit.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon