We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Dynamic synchronization between winform controls and GridGroupingControl

Hi, I have forms where I have the standard Winform controls (ComboBox, TextBox, Checkbox) which shows the values of a row in GGC which is also present in the form.

If I make a change in any of the controls (or in GCC current row), the update value in the counterpart (controls or GGC) is only shown once a new row has been selected and after we return to the starting row, hence recorded. So basically, the values are not changing dynamically

I actually have a part of the program that can actualize dynamically from the GGC to the WinForm Combobox - Whenever I commit a change in a GridCellType.ComboBox, I use : 

Private Sub GridGroupingControl1_TableControlCurrentCellCloseDropDown(sender As Object, e As GridTableControlPopupClosedEventArgs) Handles GridGroupingControl1.TableControlCurrentCellCloseDropDown

If e.TableControl.CurrentCell.Renderer.Model.Description = "GridComboBoxCellModelDesc" Then

Dim renderer As GridComboBoxCellRenderer = GridGroupingControl1.TableControl.CurrentCell.Renderer

If (renderer.ColIndex = 1) Then

ComboBoxNameInControls.SelectedIndex = renderer.ListBoxPart.SelectedIndex

End If

End sub

This

This triggers the SelectedIndex event for the Winform ComboBox (Private Sub ComboBoxNameInControl_SelectedIndexChanged (sender as object, e As EventArgs) Handles ComboBoxNameInControl.SelectedIndexChanged) and update it dynamically.

I have 3 questions related to this: 

1) what procedures shall I follow to do the same with textboxes (on each side)

2) what event shall I pick on each side (WinForm and GGC) to get a perfectly synchronized form - and is it possible to avoid an event for each and every control (a more general approach)

3) I have an audit trail on the GGC side, with an event "GridGroupingControl1_RecordValueChanging" : is it possible to fire this event whenever a change is made on the WinForm controls side?

Thanks in advance!!! - Nicolas

12 Replies

PM Piruthiviraj Malaimelraj Syncfusion Team June 21, 2016 02:23 PM UTC

Hi Nicolas, 

Thank you for using Syncfusion products. 

In order to synchronize the grid with winforms controls while changing the records of the table , you can bind the datasource of the grid to the winforms controls using DataBindings property of that controls. We have dashboard sample for binding records at runtime. Please refer to the sample from below location. 

Sample location:  

<InstalledLocation\Syncfusion\EssentialStudio\<version number>\Windows\Grid.Grouping.Windows\Samples\Getting Started\Record Binding Demo\CS> 

Regards, 
Piruthiviraj 

NI Nicolas June 22, 2016 06:27 PM UTC

Hi! The example you provided is ok, and my grid has the same performance but the "problem" still remains : the Grid / Textbox are only updated once the record selection has changed. Is it possible to update Grid/Control before that? Thanks - Nicolas

PM Piruthiviraj Malaimelraj Syncfusion Team June 23, 2016 12:20 PM UTC

Hi Nicolas, 

Thank you for your update. 

In order to update the grid , when changing the value of the winforms controls, you need to refresh the grid and set the current value for the grid. To also update the winforms controls from the grid, SourceListListChanged event can be used. Please make use of below code and refer to the attached sample. 

Code snippet 

this.textBox1.KeyDown += textBox1_KeyDown; 
//To update the grid without change selection 
void textBox1_KeyDown(object sender, KeyEventArgs e) 
{ 
    if (e.KeyCode == Keys.Enter) 
    { 
        this.gridGroupingControl1.Table.CurrentRecord.SetValue("Col1", this.textBox1.Text); 
        this.gridGroupingControl1.Refresh(); 
    } 
} 

this.gridGroupingControl1.SourceListListChanged += gridGroupingControl1_SourceListListChanged; 
//To update the WinformControls while changing the current cell value 
void gridGroupingControl1_SourceListListChanged(object sender, Syncfusion.Grouping.TableListChangedEventArgs e) 
{ 
    if (e.ListChangedType == ListChangedType.ItemChanged) 
    { 
        e.Table.TableDirty = true; 
    } 
} 

Sample link 

Regards, 
Piruthiviraj 

NI Nicolas June 23, 2016 06:00 PM UTC

Hi! the sample provided is missing the 2015 version of VS, but anyways I tried the code provided, and it works like a charm for the Controls to Grid side! I used the TextBox.Validating event instead of KeyDown event for the TextBox. 
    Private Sub oTraining_Validating(sender As Object, e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles oTraining.Validating
        GridGroupingControl1.Table.CurrentRecord.SetValue("otraining", oTraining.Text)
        GridGroupingControl1.Refresh()
    End Sub

I wonder if there is a way to trigger the event GridGroupingControl1_RecordValueChanging in the otraining.validating event? 

The opposite is however not working as expected (Grid to Control) even if I imported the System.ComponentModel, any idea of what could be wrong?

Thanks for the great support !!! Nicolas

PM Piruthiviraj Malaimelraj Syncfusion Team June 24, 2016 02:50 PM UTC

Hi Nicolas, 

We had analyzed the your query. In our previous update, we have provided the solution to update the grid from WinForms controls by SourceListListChanged event and also to update winforms controls to grid by textBox1.KeyDown event. If you are using textBox1.validating event, the grid will be updated when the record selection is changed which what you have reported in your previous update. RecordValueChanging event will be triggered when you are changing the cell value of the grid so when the textbox value has changed , this event will be automatically triggered because these controls are using binding context. Could you please provide us with details about why you are using textBox1.validating event to update the grid? 

Regards, 
Piruthiviraj 

NI Nicolas June 24, 2016 08:29 PM UTC

Hi Piruthiviraj!

I installed an older version of VS to understand your programming, and I saw the difference : the ENTER key press is what's updating from GRID to CTL (triggering the SourceListListChanged) - so basically, it now works both ways for the updating, I added an event where I generate an ENTER in the grid for the users that do not press enter ENTER for each field - that yields the same result

Private Sub GridGroupingControl1_TableControlCurrentCellValidating(sender As Object, e As GridTableControlCancelEventArgs) Handles GridGroupingControl1.TableControlCurrentCellValidating
        SendKeys.Send("{ENTER}")
    End Sub

As for your question, I use the validating event in the Textbox for the same users that do not press ENTER, but rather change Textbox when they are finished completing one, it is not as instantaneous as the Key press event (your event is better in that point of view, as long as the user is using the key press...), but basically the job is done

Private Sub oTraining_Validating(sender As Object, e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles oTraining.Validating
        Call modMain.DynamicCTLToGGC(GridGroupingControl1, "otraining", oTraining.Text) 'This is the program lines you made I placed in a sub
        'Here raise the event : GridGroupingControl1_RecordValueChanging
    End Sub

Now, the RecordValueChanging is an important event for me as it yields the Audit Trail sub as follows :

Private Sub GridGroupingControl1_RecordValueChanging(sender As Object, e As RecordValueChangingEventArgs) Handles GridGroupingControl1.RecordValueChanging
        Call modMain.AuditTrailGGC(GridGroupingControl1, sender, e, "Edit", Me.PID.Text)
    End Sub

As I explained earlier, the RecordValueChanging is triggered easily whenever the user is changing values in the grid. However, I am still missing the piece that will trigger this event whenever a user is changing data from the windows' controls

All the best! - Nicolas

NI Nicolas June 24, 2016 08:36 PM UTC

P.S. I tried using the KeyPress event for the Textbox to check if it was triggering or not the RecordValueChanging event, and apparently it is not
- Nicolas

PM Piruthiviraj Malaimelraj Syncfusion Team June 27, 2016 12:33 PM UTC

Hi Nicolas, 

The RecordValueChanging event can be manually triggered by using the RaiseRecordValueChanging method of grid Table. Please make use of below code. 

Code snippet 
Private Sub textBox1_Validating(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As CancelEventArgs) 
                If Me.gridGroupingControl1.Table.CurrentRecord IsNot Nothing Then 
                                'Raise the event. 
                                Dim eventArgs As New RecordValueChangingEventArgs(Me.gridGroupingControl1.Table.CurrentRecord, "Col1", Me.gridGroupingControl1.TableDescriptor.Columns("Col1").FieldDescriptor, Me.textBox1.Text) 
                                Me.gridGroupingControl1.Table.RaiseRecordValueChanging(eventArgs) 

End If 
End Sub 

Regards, 
Piruthiviraj 

NI Nicolas June 27, 2016 01:41 PM UTC

That's really great!!! Thanks a bunch, works like a charm! - Nicolas

NI Nicolas June 27, 2016 01:50 PM UTC

I noticed that it's not picking up the old value, let me see if I can resolve - Thanks! - Nicolas

NI Nicolas June 27, 2016 05:39 PM UTC

Resolved! Just need to re-order the timing of the event (before setting the value to the GGC)

Sub DynamicCTLToGGC(GGC As GridGroupingControl, Fld As String, ByVal Val As String)
    Dim eventArgs As New RecordValueChangingEventArgs(GGC.Table.CurrentRecord, Fld, GGC.TableDescriptor.Columns(Fld).FieldDescriptor, Val)
    GGC.Table.RaiseRecordValueChanging(eventArgs)
    GGC.Table.CurrentRecord.SetValue(Fld, Val)
end sub

Thanks to the team ! - Nicolas

PM Piruthiviraj Malaimelraj Syncfusion Team June 28, 2016 04:49 AM UTC

Hi Nicolas, 

We are glad to hear from you that the issue is resolved. Please let us know if you have any other queries. 

Regards, 
Piruthiviraj 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon