We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Using Dashboard in Azure WebApp

Hi 
We are looking at using a dashboard as part of a data app we are building and have some questions. 

1.  Users of the dashboard belong to a Subscription - can the dashboard be pre-filtered for the SubscriptionId? (i.e users on subscription 3 see the data for their area only) Looking at the documentation I am unclear whether this can only be done using the Dashboard Server.

2. If the dashboard server is needed to deal with this situation doe it have to be installed within the same WebApp? 

2. We  will be running the service as a WebApp on Azure using SQL2012 - Are there any limitations on this for simple dashboards and / or Dashboard Server?

Thanks for any advice

Christina   

4 Replies

CS Christina Spencer June 1, 2016 11:40 AM UTC

Hi just to clarify - we need to know if it is possible to deploy the Dashboard Server or SDK to an Azure WebApp, or is a VM a minimum requirement? 

Christina

NR Nigin Raj E.C Syncfusion Team June 2, 2016 11:18 AM UTC

Hi Christina,
Thanks for contacting Syncfusion Support. 
Users of the dashboard belong to a Subscription - can the dashboard be pre-filtered for the SubscriptionId? (i.e users on subscription 3 see the data for their area only) Looking at the documentation I am unclear whether this can only be done using the Dashboard Server. 
In dashboard viewer SDK, we have the API filterParameters that can be used to achieve what you have mentioned . You can pass the column with its value to filter the dashboard. You can pass n number of column value pairs to filterParameters and each column need to be separated by ‘&’ symbol.  Below is the sample code for using filterParameters API. 
$('#dashboard').ejDashboardViewer({  
url: "",//Dashboard service URL  
report: "",//Dashboard sydx location  
filterParameters"Column Name1=Value&Column Name2=Value" 
});
                For eg: If a sales dashboard need to be shared among four sales managers, who are in charge of four regions, then using filterParameters API, you can restrict the data to the specific region based on the manager who has logged in. When the first manager views the dashboard we can set Region=North to filterParameters, then the dashboard will be showcasing the data specific to North region.
   In our upcoming release we have user based filtering feature. Using that you can achieve the requirement specified, If you are planning to host the Dashboards in our Dashboard Server. 

If the dashboard server is needed to deal with this situation doe it have to be installed within the same WebApp? 
For achieving the requirement using SDK you do not need to have Dashboard Server hosted. For the user based filter we have promised for the upcoming release you need to have the dashboards hosted in Dashboard Server and it doesn’t need to be installed in the same WebApp. 
We  will be running the service as a WebApp on Azure using SQL2012 - Are there any limitations on this for simple dashboards and / or Dashboard Server? 
Dashboard Server and Service can be hosted as a WebApp in Azure. But we cannot load remote dashboards for now. This feature will be available in our upcoming release which is expected in the mid of June 2016. 
I hwe need to know if it is possible to deploy the Dashboard Server or SDK to an Azure WebApp, or is a VM a minimum requirement? 
Yes, Dashboard Server and SDK can be hosted as WebApp or in a VM. 

Please let us know if you have any further queries. 
Regards, 
Nigin Raj E C 

CS Christina Spencer June 2, 2016 11:37 AM UTC

Thank you - I look forward to your next release. Do you have instructions on hosting Viewer and Server as a WebApp in Azure?  Deployment instructions talk about  "copy over the folder Windows Service" ...   ... and run the Syncfusion Dashboard Service Installer.exe, neither of which are available on webapps - I guess this must utilize the WebJobs features which I have not yet explored...

regards
Christina

NR Nigin Raj E.C Syncfusion Team June 3, 2016 07:01 AM UTC

Hi Christina, 
A new incident has been created for your last update. Please, follow-up with incident for further assistance. 
Regards, 
Nigin Raj E C  

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon