We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Custom Map in Map Widgets?

Hi,

at the lower end of the page

http://help.syncfusion.com/dashboard-platform/dashboard-designer/compose-dashboard/configuring-and-formatting-dashboard-widgets/bubble-map#how-to-format-bubble-map-widget

it is written how to use a custom map in bubble map, same in Choropleth Map.
The real properties pane of those widgets doesn't reflect the shown settings. There can maps be chosen but no custom map be defined. 

Probably I have to go the way to
- set the widget in the dashboard,
- export it,
- unzip it, 
- edit the contents,
- zip it 
- and import it back.

Meanwhile I can create so called Shapes which are obviously used and was able to convert them into kind of a GeoJSON -- the presumed format of shapes usable by the widgets.
To drop it in the Shapes folder of the zippy sydw-file exported and to tell its position to the Dashboard.xml, 
        <IsCustomShape>true</IsCustomShape>
        <Shape>MyShape</Shape>
        <ShapePath>Shapes\MyShape.json</ShapePath>
seems to do the trick. But I don't see nothing. The world map is gone but nothing else shown.
Am I on the right track (and my json is corrupt or anything) or isn't it done that way or something else has to be set ...?
There is no documentation about it in the world, so I have to ask -- kind of feel being near because the modified widget is actually imported.

Nice regards,

dtr.

Attached File is the modified sydw widget named as zip

Attachment: ChoroplethMap_Vlbg.sydw_1ebe1b92.zip

7 Replies

DT dtr May 18, 2016 09:12 AM UTC

Meanwhile, a very simple geoJSON (suspecting the taken one to be corrupt) did the job.
There could have been a problem with a multilayer source converted into a multilayer geoJSON which generally doesn't support multiple layers.
Somewhere I read, the maps in Syncfusion Dashboard do support multilayer maps so another shape format has to be chosen.
Which are supported and how are they implemented in doubt?
(for example shp format delivers more then one file, would those have to be in a directory underneath Shapes or a zip in that zip?)
Maybe there is some strongly confidential documentation about that somewhere?

DT dtr May 18, 2016 12:35 PM UTC

Though it doesn't make much sense, the option to set a custom map in the map controls is available as soon as a datasource is chosen and not one moment before.
And there we can see, that only json files are accepted.

NS Narendran S Syncfusion Team May 19, 2016 02:36 PM UTC

Hi Dieter, 
               Please find response for your queries below. 
Queries 
Response 
it is written how to use a custom map in bubble map, same in Choropleth Map. 
The real properties pane of those widgets doesn't reflect the shown settings. There can maps be chosen but no custom map be defined.  
Map properties window will be shown only after configuring at least single datasource as you specified in your last update. 
Probably I have to go the way to 
- set the widget in the dashboard, 
- export it, 
- unzip it,  
- edit the contents, 
- zip it  
- and import it back. 
Meanwhile I can create so called Shapes which are obviously used and was able to convert them into kind of a GeoJSON -- the presumed format of shapes usable by the widgets. 
To drop it in the Shapes folder of the zippy sydw-file exported and to tell its position to the Dashboard.xml,  
        <IsCustomShape>true</IsCustomShape> 
        <Shape>MyShape</Shape> 
        <ShapePath>Shapes\MyShape.json</ShapePath> 
seems to do the trick. But I don't see nothing. The world map is gone but nothing else shown. 
Am I on the right track (and my json is corrupt or anything) or isn't it done that way or something else has to be set ...? 
There is no documentation about it in the world, so I have to ask -- kind of feel being near because the modified widget is actually imported. 
a.       You can include need custom json through the dashboard designer itself after configuring datasource.  b.      We are currently investigating  “Vorarlberg.json” file which cannot be load in the designer, we will let you know the details by tomorrow. 
Meanwhile, a very simple geoJSON (suspecting the taken one to be corrupt) did the job. 
There could have been a problem with a multilayer source converted into a multilayer geoJSON which generally doesn't support multiple layers. 
Somewhere I read, the maps in Syncfusion Dashboard do support multilayer maps so another shape format has to be chosen. 
Which are supported and how are they implemented in doubt? 
(for example shp format delivers more then one file, would those have to be in a directory underneath Shapes or a zip in that zip?) 
Maybe there is some strongly confidential documentation about that somewhere? 
We will let you know the multilayer related details by tomorrow. 
Though it doesn't make much sense, the option to set a custom map in the map controls is available as soon as a datasource is chosen and not one moment before. 
And there we can see, that only json files are accepted. 
Yes, Map properties window will be shown only after configuring the at least single datasource. We suggest you to create datasource before proceeding on Map widget customization. 

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.     

Regards,    
Narendran S    

DT dtr May 22, 2016 03:52 PM UTC

Hi,

the "somewhere" I fond about multilayer in maps hasn't been for dashboard but for wpf maps.

Is there a possible connection for example to build dashboard widgets in wpf?
They would accept ESRI Shapes what would workaround the problem that the json import of custom maps seems to be a bit choosy.
I've no idea why it doesn't take the geoJSONs I put in and which are accepted by other tools, is there kind of documentation what they have to be like?

nice regards,

dtr.

MK Mukil Karunanithi Syncfusion Team May 23, 2016 08:44 AM UTC

Hi Dieter,   

Please find the response for your queries below.   

QUERY  
RESPONSE  
the "somewhere" I found about multilayer in maps hasn't been for dashboard but for WPF maps.   
here   
Yes, currently we do not have the multilayer feature support for Map in our Dashboard product. We have added this to our consideration list.   
Is there a possible connection for example to build dashboard widgets in WPF?   
It is not possible to add new customwidgets in Dashboard Designer in addition to the existing widgets at present. It is already available in our consideration list.  

They would accept ESRI Shapes what would workaround the problem that the JSON import of custom maps seems to be a bit choosy.   
I've no idea why it doesn't take the GeoJSONs I put in and which are accepted by other tools, is there kind of documentation what they have to be like?   
We will provide the solution for the issue “Unable to load the GeoJSON file with custom geometry points in Dashboard Designer” in upcoming release which is expected in the mid of june,2016.   

Regards,   

Mukil K.  

DT dtr May 23, 2016 09:25 AM UTC

Thank you Mukil,

this has been very helpful.
The geoJSONs I use are converted from SVG->DXF hence they aren't aligned to world coordinates. This doesn't mean it couldn't be arranged.
On the other hand I agree, that it has to be supported where world coordinates aren't required.
Now there is a starting point to fix my geoJSONs.

Nice regards back,

dtr.

MK Mukil Karunanithi Syncfusion Team May 24, 2016 05:46 AM UTC

Hi Dieter, 
              Thanks for your update. Please let us know if you require any further assistance. 

Regards, 
Mukil K 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon