We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

GridTree or TreeViewAdv - Which one to use...

I have a project where need to have a tree like display and each node on the tree needs columns of data as well. From what I can see GridTree or TreeViewAdv can both do this. Currently I am not sure which to use.
The functionality I need is :
- By code populate the initial tree (and its columns)
- UI allows new nodes to be added (as children of existing nodes)
- UI allows new nodes to be added (as siblings of existing nodes)
- UI allows nodes to be reordered
- When a user selects a node in the tree - they can edit information associated with that node (in a different part of the UI)
- By code the amended tree can then be serialized back into the same data structure it was loaded from
Which control should I be using for this?
Thanks

1 Reply

SR Sivakumar R Syncfusion Team March 15, 2016 05:56 PM UTC

Hi Clarotechuk,

Please find the details below,

GridTreeControl
TreeView
By code populate the initial tree (and its columns)
GridTreeControl supports different modes of data population.
1.     Self-relational data
2.     Parent-child property mapping (using ParentPropertyName and ChildPropertyName)
3.     On-demand loading using RaiseRequestTreeItems event.

Also provides support to define columns
Support to bind data and columns can be achieved using DataTemplate.
UI allows new nodes to be added (as children of existing nodes)
This can be achieved via ContextMenu. Refer the below sample for adding ContextMenu for cell.
This can be achieved via ContextMenu. Refer ContextMenu sample under TreeView control in dashboard.
 UI allows new nodes to be added (as siblings of existing nodes)
This can be achieved via ContextMenu. Refer the below sample for adding ContextMenu for cell.
This can be achieved via ContextMenu. Refer ContextMenu sample under TreeView control in dashboard.
When a user selects a node in the tree - they can edit information associated with that node (in a different part of the UI)
Yes, This can be achieved.
Yes, This can be achieved.

By code the amended tree can then be serialized back into the same data structure it was loaded from

Which control should I be using for this?

It is not possible to serialize & de-serialize expand and collapse states of nodes. But you can programmatically expand and collapse nodes.
It is not possible to serialize & de-serialize expand and collapse states of nodes.

Sample:
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/123384/ze/WpfApplication11559907590

Thanks,
Sivakumar

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon