We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Binding and editing complex objects

Hello,

I am trying to use the grid to manipulate some Entity Framework objects.  If I am not using a compound object, it is now working great for me (awesome control!!!)  The problem, now, is that I would like to show a subset of data in the grid, and when I edit it (and eventually when I click on it, using master-detail) it would provide more details. 

As an example, lets say I have a Customer class that has:

string FirstName
string LastName
List<Address> Addresses

and Address looks like
string Address1
string Address2
string City
string State
string Zip

Lets also assume that the List<Addresses> will only return a single address even though it is a list... so all I want to do is deal with Address[0], and we can also assume it is always populated.

In the grid, if I want to display FirstName, LastName, and Address1, how would I go about doing that?  In other control sets I could do Address[0].Address1 and that would work, but not here.  Eventually I'd like to edit all of these fields.

Thank you for your help!

9 Replies

SR Sellappandi Ramu Syncfusion Team April 9, 2015 12:34 PM UTC

Hi Paul,

Thanks for using Syncfusion products.

Based on your requirement we have created a sample to render the grid by using array data. The sample can be downloaded from following location.

Sample Link: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/118758/TestGrid-1406488504.zip

For your kind information, we need to use the dot(“.”) symbol in field If we want to render the array of data. Please refer the following code snippet.

<ej:Grid ID="Grid" runat="server">

<Columns>

<ej:Column Field="ID" HeaderText="ID" IsPrimaryKey="true" Visible="false" >

</ej:Column>

<ej:Column Field="FirstName" HeaderText="First Name" >

<ej:Column Field="LastName" HeaderText="Last Name" >

< ej:Column Field="Addresses.0.Address1" HeaderText="Address" >

</Columns>

<EditSettings AllowEditing="True" AllowAdding="True" AllowDeleting="True"></EditSettings>

<ToolbarSettings ShowToolbar="True" ToolbarItems="add,edit,delete,update,cancel"></ToolbarSettings>

</ej:Grid>

Please try the above sample and get back to us if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Sellappandi R

PY Paul Yanzick April 10, 2015 04:52 AM UTC

Hello,

Thank you for your reply!

Your example worked, although I had to change the references to an older version of the controls (must have released a new version in the last week or so???)  In any case, it worked... and I was able to edit.

I implemented the same thing in my app, and the fields are displayed now, but if I try to edit (using a dialog edit), the fields that show data in the grid from the addresses become blank.  If I get rid of the dialog edit so it is inline editing, I have the same problem.. as soon as I go into edit mode, those fields blank out.  Any thoughts as to why that may be happening?  I am not seeing anything different really.  Everything in the parent object is shown in edit, just not the values of the Address object.

Thanks
Paul

PY Paul Yanzick April 10, 2015 05:18 AM UTC

Here is what my grid looks like right now:

<ej:Grid ID="gridDistributors" runat="server" AllowPaging="True" OnServerEditRow="gridEditEvents_ServerEditRow" OnServerAddRow="gridEditEvents_ServerAddRow"
    OnServerDeleteRow="gridEditEvents_ServerDeleteRow" OnDataBinding="gridDistributors_DataBinding">
    <ClientSideEvents ActionComplete="complete" EndAdd="endAdd" EndDelete="endDelete" EndEdit="endEdit" />
    <Columns>
        <ej:Column Field="DistributorID" Visible="false" HeaderText="DistributorID" IsPrimaryKey="true">
            <NumericEditOptions Tag="" />
        <ej:Column Field="DistributorName" HeaderText="Distributor Name">
        <ej:Column Field="DistributorContact" HeaderText="Contact">
        <ej:Column Field="PhoneNumber" HeaderText="Phone Number">
        <ej:Column Field="EmailAddress" HeaderText="Email Address">
        <ej:Column Field="Addresses.0.AddressID" HeaderText="AddressID" Visible="false">
        <ej:Column Field="Addresses.0.Address1" HeaderText="Address 1">
        <ej:Column Field="Addresses.0.Address2" HeaderText="Address 2">
        <ej:Column Field="Addresses.0.City" HeaderText="City">
        <ej:Column Field="Addresses.0.State" HeaderText="State">
        <ej:Column Field="Addresses.0.Country.CountryID" HeaderText="CountryID" Visible="false">
        <ej:Column Field="Addresses.0.Country.CountryDescription" HeaderText="Country" EditType="Dropdown">
        <ej:Column Field="Addresses.0.ZipCode" HeaderText="ZipCode">
        <ej:Column Field="IsActive" HeaderText="Active Distributor" EditType="Boolean">
    </Columns>
    <PageSettings Template="" />
    <EditSettings AllowEditing="True" AllowAdding="True" AllowDeleting="true" EditMode="Dialog" AllowEditOnDblClick="true"></EditSettings>
    <ToolbarSettings ShowToolbar="True" ToolbarItems="add,edit,delete"></ToolbarSettings>
    <ContextmenuSettings EnableContextmenu="true"></ContextmenuSettings>
</ej:Grid>
<script type="text/javascript">
    function complete(args) {

if (args.requestType == "beginedit") {
            var currentRow = args.model.currentViewData[args.rowIndex];
            $("#gridDistributors_dialogEdit").ejDialog({ title: "Details of " + currentRow.DistributorName });
        }
    }
</script>

PY Paul Yanzick April 10, 2015 05:37 AM UTC

It is also worthwhile noting I think that inspecting the page I can see all of the data there in JSON format, including the Country databind (which is also showing up blank).  I have removed the Country databind in case that was messing things up, actually stripping it down to basically the example you provided as far as the grid goes (only Address1 being displayed in the grid) and the same thing is happening.

Thanks
Paul

PY Paul Yanzick April 10, 2015 05:44 AM UTC

It seems that you are using a jsondata.js as well.. I am not.  Not finding that file in the version I am using.  

Here are the scripts I AM using though:

<script src="/Scripts/jquery-1.10.2.min.js"></script>
<script src="/Scripts/jquery.easing.1.3.min.js"></script>
<script src="/Scripts/jquery.globalize.min.js"></script>
<script src="/Scripts/jsrender.min.js"></script>
<script src="/Scripts/ej.web.all.min.js"></script>
<script src="/Scripts/ej.webform.min.js"></script>
<script src="/Scripts/jquery.validate.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

PY Paul Yanzick April 11, 2015 04:16 AM UTC

I have also upgraded to the latest controls that were released a couple days ago... same issue.

PY Paul Yanzick April 11, 2015 05:21 AM UTC

Ok, I have made some progress.  I had replaced the scripts (and apparently the jquery-easing-1.3.min.js file was renamed from jquery-easing.1.3.min.js which caused some issues for me) and the data is being populated in the fields, except there is still a problem.

One of the columns is to be a dropdown.  If I use EditType="DropDown" it no longer works, I am unable to edit anything in the grid.  If I remove EditType="Dropdown" then it renders edit correctly, minus the dropdown.  The same thing happens if I add that parameter to the sample program that was posted earlier, it does not allow editing any longer.

So one problem is resolved, another one is created... Please advise

SR Sellappandi Ramu Syncfusion Team April 13, 2015 02:21 PM UTC

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the update.
We have analyzed your reported issue and found that you have created an incident “#137742” and also the forum “#118783” for the same query “Editing is not working while using Edit type as dropdown” . So please refer the incident #137742for better follow up.
Please let us know if you have any queries.
Regards,

Sellappandi R

SR Sellappandi Ramu Syncfusion Team April 15, 2015 01:59 PM UTC

Hi Paul,
Please ignore the previous update.

The sample using EditTemplate property can be downloaded from the below location.
Sample Link: http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/118783/TestGrid679791128.zip
Please get back to us if you need any further assistance.
Regards
Sellappandi R

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon