We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Is there any way to control the deployment size?

I added sfDatePicker to my project, and suddenly it ballooned to 62MB from 1MB.
Is there any way to choose only some of the controls?

Also, any pointers to documentation on the types expected by the control?
Or the properties exposed by the control?

8 Replies

TA Thirumurugan Arumugam Syncfusion Team March 6, 2015 10:15 AM UTC

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support.

Query #1: I added SfDatePicker to my project, and suddenly it ballooned to 62MB from 1MB.

We have checked the reported problem by deploying an application with and without SfDatePicker control. We have used VisualStudio 2013 built-in Memory diagnostics tool.

Details of the testing results in the below table.

References

Deployment Size

SfDatePicker with respective assemblies only

47 MB

SfDatePicker with Full SDK reference

52 MB

Query #2: Is there any way to choose only some of the controls?

You can choose some of the controls by adding their respective assemblies instead of adding entire package(full SDK reference). For using SfDatePicker control kindly add Syncfusion.SfInput.WinRT.dll and Syncfusion.SfShared.WinRT.dll available in following locations,

Version 8.0: [drive]:\Program Files (x86)\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\[version]\Assemblies for WinRT\8.0

Version 8.1: [drive]:\Program Files (x86)\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\[version]\Assemblies for WinRT\8.1

Query #3: Also, any pointers to documentation on the types expected by the control? Or the properties exposed by the control?

You can get more details about the SfDatePicker control from the following link,

http://help.syncfusion.com/UG/winrt/default.htm#!documents/sfdatepicker.htm

Please let us know if you need further assistance on this.

Regards,

Thirumurugan Arumugam

AW Anthony Wieser March 6, 2015 10:50 AM UTC

Thanks for the reply.

5MB more isn't a lot of savings, but it's a start I suppose.

Thanks for the link to the online documentation. I had downloaded the offline documentation that integrates itself into the help viewer in VS2013, but it wasn't actually very helpful, as it appeared to be mainly documentation generated from the source code.

On the other hand the PDF documentation appears to be the same as the online stuff and is more useful, and has more visual examples.

Thanks.

TA Thirumurugan Arumugam Syncfusion Team March 6, 2015 03:28 PM UTC

Hi Anthony,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

We would like to know whether you are using app packages to check the deployment size? We have misunderstood your query and provided details in last update kindly ignore it. We have created App packages for the app using Store and found that the size of package with SDK reference is 20.5 MB and the size of package with individual assemblies is 775 KB. We did not get app package size as 62 MB even using SDK reference. Kindly update us more details about way to find the deployment size at your end. So that we can proceed further to resolve your problem.

Please let un know if you need further assistance on this,

Regards,
Thirumurugan Arumugam

AW Anthony Wieser March 6, 2015 05:51 PM UTC

OK, I've tried again.

I'm judging on the size of the Appx folder on my hard disk.  I'm in a debug build.
The first report I

Before adding the sfDatePicker, my app was 2,137,360 bytes.
after adding by dropping on the control, and taking the default package (Syncfusion 8.1 controls for Universal XAML) the compiler reported
Copying files: Total 62 mb to layout, and the size was reported as 67,031,973 bytes

Adding just the two references to Syncfusion.SfInput.Universal and Syncfusion.SfShared.Universal resulted in a size of 3,950,085

That's a far more acceptable answer, so thanks for the followup.

SC Saranya CJ Syncfusion Team March 9, 2015 04:28 AM UTC

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for your update.
Please let us know if you require any other assistance on this.

Regards,
Saranya

AW Anthony Wieser March 12, 2015 07:25 AM UTC

I've moved my development environment from a 64 bit machine to a 32 bit machine.
The project references are now no longer valid, as C:/program files (x86)  is now C:/program files

Is there a way to make it platform agnostic so it can load on both dev machines?

AW Anthony Wieser March 12, 2015 07:31 AM UTC

Found it: 
I needed to make the reference in the .csproj file $(MSBuildProgramFiles32)\Syncfusion\Essential Studio...

SC Saranya CJ Syncfusion Team March 13, 2015 06:27 AM UTC

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for your update.
Please let us know if you require any other assistance on this.

Regards,
Saranya

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon