We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Visual Studio 2012 stops responding after build or debug

After ending a debug session or performing a build, Visual Studio 2013 stops responding and I have to use the task manager to end the application. 
I am using Essential Studio Enterprise Edition 2014 Volume 4 (12.4.0.24) with Visual Studio Professional 2012.

15 Replies

SA Solai A L Syncfusion Team February 13, 2015 11:46 AM UTC

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion Products.

We couldn’t able to reproduce the reported issue in our side. Could please provide us a brief explanation of the issue and step by step replication procedure. So, that it would be easy for us to provide a prompt solution.

Please let us know if you have any concerns.

Thanks & Regards,

AL.Solai.

SM Shawn Moyle February 13, 2015 01:21 PM UTC

I may have found another reason for this happening.  I had the Microsoft Sample Browser add-in installed.  I have removed that, and the problem seems to have stopped.  I will keep a watch on the situation and let you know if it changes.

SM Shawn Moyle February 13, 2015 05:13 PM UTC

I had a GridGroupingControl on a RibbonForm with a RibbonControlAdv. 
I removed the RibbonControlAdv, changed the RibbonForm to a Form, and the problem seems to have disappeared.  I will update if this changes.

SA Solai A L Syncfusion Team February 16, 2015 04:14 AM UTC

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for the update.

We will wait, until we hear from you.

Thanks & Regards,

AL.Solai.

CG Christoph Gasser February 20, 2015 10:35 AM UTC

Having the same problem.

Using VS 2013 and a GridGroupingControl. After running Debug VS stops repsonding. But only when a GGC was shown in one of the forms.

BR
C

SM Shawn Moyle February 20, 2015 11:52 AM UTC

It's also intermittent.  It will work fine a couple of times and freeze on the next.  No rhyme or reason that I can think of.

SA Solai A L Syncfusion Team February 24, 2015 11:08 AM UTC

Hi Shawn/ Christoph,

Sorry for the delay.

We regret to let you know that we could not able reproduce the reported issue in our side. Please refer the below sample and video for reference. Could you please provide us a simple sample replicating the issue or reproduce the issue in the sample provided below and send back to us. So, that it would be easy for us to proceed further.

Sample:

http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/118225/WindowsFormsApplication31552809417.zip

Video:

http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/118225/Video123614779.zip

Please let us know if you have any other concerns.

Thanks & Regards,

AL.Solai.

SA Solai A L Syncfusion Team February 24, 2015 01:23 PM UTC

Hi Shawn/Christoph,

Along with previous update please consider this too.

We would like to suggest you that this issue may be due to .NET Framework. Hence, please install the refresh build of the same version 12.4.0.24. If still the issue is not resolved please let us know the .net frame work you are using and ensure that all the dlls are referred from same version.

Thanks & Regards,

AL.Solai.

SM Shawn Moyle February 27, 2015 07:34 PM UTC

Tried the suggestions, but Visual Studio 2012 still randomly stops responding when I stop debugging.  I am using .NET Framework 4.5.  Could it be that I am binding the GridGroupingControl to a BindingList<T> instead of a dataset as in your supplied example?

SM Shawn Moyle March 2, 2015 03:47 PM UTC

The type of binding does seem to be a factor.  I changed my project to bind to a dataset and everything seemed to work fine.  I switched back to  a BindingList<T>, and Visual Studio froze again.

SA Solai A L Syncfusion Team March 3, 2015 10:08 AM UTC

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for your update.

We regret to let you know that we couldn’t able to reproduce the reported issue in our end, we have tried in all possible cases. We have used a sample which contains the data assigned using IBinding List. Could you please provide us a simple sample replicating the issue and also your system specification too? So, that it would be easy for us to proceed further. Please refer the below provided video, replicating that the issue is not getting reproduced.

Sample:

<InstalledLocation>\Syncfusion\EssentialStudio\12.4.0.24\Windows\Grid.Grouping.Windows\Samples\Data Sources\IBindingList Demo\CS

Video:

http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/118225/SampleVideo-1063994493.zip

Thanks & Regards,

Al.Solai.

WW Wilfried Walpot March 18, 2015 05:19 PM UTC

I had the same issue, but I checked the "Use managed compatibility mode" in Tools-Options-Debugging-General, there the most bottom option.

SM Shawn Moyle March 18, 2015 05:26 PM UTC

Thanks!  I think that worked.  I will have to keep an eye on it.

WW Wilfried Walpot March 18, 2015 05:35 PM UTC

Glad to hear.
Perhaps the Syncfusion guys, can explain it a little more, as I'm just a hobby developer. :)

SA Solai A L Syncfusion Team March 19, 2015 08:32 PM UTC

Hi WilFried,

Thank you for your update.

The Visual Studio 2013 Debugger introduces a new feature which allows evaluating the result value of functions. With this new feature the existing behavior of Property evaluation (which are essentially functions) has also changed and this new behavior is now the default. This only causes the problem. Please refer the below link for better clarification.

Link:

http://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/2013/Nov/21/Visual-Studio-2013-Could-not-evaluate-Expression-Debugger-Abnormality

Thanks & Regards,

AL.Solai.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon