We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon
Starting in 2019, the Reporting control is no longer included in Essential Studio. If you're experiencing issues with the Syncfusion Reporting Platform, Report Viewer, Report Designer, or Report Writer, we recommend migrating to Bold Reports, our dedicated reporting platform.

Bold Reports offers a comprehensive suite of tools and features for all your reporting needs, and we will help you make a smooth transition from the discontinued control. Our support team at https://support.boldreports.com/ is here to assist you with any questions or difficulties you may encounter during the migration process.

We thank you for choosing Syncfusion and appreciate your understanding.

RDLC Report Data Source

Hi,

What type of data source would I need to create to allow me to use a list(of  xxxxxxx) where xxxxxxx is a derived class.

I have created an object that holds data about people I have tried to link it to a dataset in the RDLC file and when I do this it will not render?

How do I setup the schemer in the RDLC to match the object content. Your examples are not total clear on this.

4 Replies

AS Anandakumar S Syncfusion Team October 3, 2013 05:24 AM UTC

Hi Darren,

Thanks for using Syncfusion Products.

Q) What type of data source would I need to create to allow me to use a list(of  xxxxxxx) where xxxxxxx is a derived class.

A) DataSource with type IEnumerable collection of class works with ReportViewer.

Please find sample for this in the following location.

Sample:http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/113888/InvoiceDemoVb-2109428047.zip

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Anandakumar S

DH Darren Hunnter October 3, 2013 12:40 PM UTC

The example is not what I need, what we are doing is creating and xds file, and linking that to the RDLC file the RDLC dose not link to SQL Server, MDB, SDF or any other external data source. When I look at the xml of the report it gives me the following name space.

System.Data.DataSet.

The dataset is not connecting to any external data sources, I have created a class that I put data in to and then attach this to a report. If I view the report with the windows report viewer and the report works fine.

But when I load the report in to the silver light report viewer it will not render the report. If I take the dataset out of the report then the report renders.

So is it the fact that the control dose not understand the namespace System.Data.DataSet, when it is trying to render the report.

There are cases like ours where we store raw data in the database and then interpret this as the software this is going to be used with is bespoke and we dont store the interpreted data in the DB we just store the raw data and then process it.

So we need to be able to add an object to a dataset and then display the object.

The winforms object class is

Public Class SalesPerson

Private m_id As Int32
    Private m_FullName As String = ""
    Private m_Title As String = ""
    Private m_SalesTerritory As String = ""
    Private m_ID2002 As String = ""
    Private m_ID2003 As String = ""
    Private m_ID2004 As String = ""

Public Property id As Int32
        Get
            Return m_id
        End Get
        Set(value As Int32)
            m_id = value
        End Set
    End Property
    Public Property FullName As String
        Get
            Return m_FullName
        End Get
        Set(value As String)
            m_FullName = value
        End Set
    End Property
    Public Property Title As String
        Get
            Return m_SalesTerritory
        End Get
        Set(value As String)
            m_SalesTerritory = value
        End Set
    End Property
    Public Property SalesTerritory As String
        Get
            Return m_SalesTerritory
        End Get
        Set(value As String)
            m_SalesTerritory = value
        End Set
    End Property
    Public Property ID2002 As String
        Get
            Return m_ID2002
        End Get
        Set(value As String)
            m_ID2002 = value
        End Set
    End Property
    Public Property ID2003 As String
        Get
            Return m_ID2003
        End Get
        Set(value As String)
            m_ID2003 = value
        End Set
    End Property
    Public Property ID2004 As String
        Get
            Return m_ID2004
        End Get
        Set(value As String)
            m_ID2004 = value
        End Set
    End Property

End Class

The code on form load of the windows form is

Imports Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms Imports System.Collections Public Class Form1     Dim ds As DataSet     Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgsHandles MyBase.Load         Dim staff As New List(Of SalesPerson)         Dim tempstaff As New SalesPerson         'Dim reportDataSource4 As New ReportDataSource()         staff = New List(Of SalesPerson)         tempstaff.id = 1         tempstaff.FullName = "Jason Smith"         tempstaff.Title = "Sales Representative"         tempstaff.SalesTerritory = "Northeast"         tempstaff.ID2002 = "1375876.8256"         tempstaff.ID2003 = "40"         tempstaff.ID2004 = "4557045.0459"         staff.Add(tempstaff)         'reportDataSource4.Name = "SalesPerson"         'reportDataSource4.Value = staff.ToList         Me.ReportViewer1.LocalReport.ReportPath = "C:\Development\Silverlighttest\ReportTest\ReportTest\Reports\Report1.rdlc"         'Me.ReportViewer1.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(reportDataSource4)         Me.ReportViewer1.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(New ReportDataSource With {.Name = "SalesPerson", .Value = staff.ToList})         Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()         'ds = New DataSet         'ds.ReadXml("c:\temp18\1.xml")         'ds.WriteXmlSchema("c:\temp18\Data.xsd")     End Sub End Class

As you can see I am createing a derived class of salesperson and then adding that to the report and it works.

But when I load the report in to the silverlight control you have created then the
report throughs uri errors Even if the report refrenced correctly.

I need to be able to set data in the report this way NOT LINKING TO ANY DATABASE, WE ONLY HAVE A DATASET ON THE
REPORT.

Can you please get back to be as soon as possible.....

Thanks.

DH Darren Hunnter October 3, 2013 01:43 PM UTC

Woops it was me been stupped I changed the processing mode to local from remote that seem to allow the report to render.

RG Ragavan G Syncfusion Team October 4, 2013 09:19 AM UTC

Hi Darren .

We are glad to know that your issue has been fixed . 

Please let us know if you need further assistance regarding on this .

Thanks ,

Ragavan G

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon