We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

How to determine if pdf is password protected?

Hi,

I'm using Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedDocument in VB.NET to read a pdf document. I'd like to know how to know whether the document is password protected. I've seen that
Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedDocument.Security
has a protected property called "Enabled" which seems to be exactly what I want... only it is friend. What is the correct way of determining if the pdf is password protected? I've tried reading the
Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedDocument.Security.Permissions
property and comparing it to
Syncfusion.Pdf.Security.PdfPermissionsFlags.Default,
but it just doesn't feel right. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Felix

3 Replies

GL George Livingston Syncfusion Team June 15, 2012 12:39 PM UTC

Hi Felix,

Thank you using Syncfusion products.

To identify whether a document is secured, try loading the document in PdfLoadedDocument without providing the password, this action would throw “PdfDocumentException”. This is the way to identify the whether a document is password protected or not.

Please try this and let us know if you have any concerns.

Thanks,

George

FK Felix Kozelsky June 19, 2012 06:43 AM UTC

Hello George,

thank you for the answer. I finally managed to test it out and I still have a problem with it. The way you suggested doesn't work with PDFs that are locked for editing and not locked for reading. I need to be able to determine if the PDF is password protected in any way.
I haven't tested it through to the details but PDF I'm using is protected from anything but printing.

I ended up with
Public Function IsPasswordProtectedPDF(FileName As String) As Boolean
    Try
      Dim pdfDoc As New Syncfusion.Pdf.Parsing.PdfLoadedDocument(FileName)
      If pdfDoc.Security.Permissions <> Syncfusion.Pdf.Security.PdfPermissionsFlags.Default Then
        Return True
      End If
    Catch ex As Syncfusion.Pdf.PdfDocumentException
      Return True
    Catch
      Return False
    End Try
    Return False
  End Function

which still employs comparing permissions to default. Is there a reason why the Security.Enabled property is friend accessible? Why can't it be Public Readonly?

Thank you for your time,
Felix

GL George Livingston Syncfusion Team June 25, 2012 03:53 AM UTC

Hi Felix,

Thank you for patience.

Please create a Direct-Trac incident to get the implementation of a property to identify whether the PDF document is protected or not.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Georeg

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon