We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Binding CustomTypes to GridGroupingGrid fails if inherited

Hi there,

installed ES2012 V2, I have a gridgroupinggrid (GGC) that I try to bind to businessObjects.

Mapping and filling TableDescriptor is done via iterating through ObjectProperties

Dim computerItemProperty As PropertyInfo
            Dim allCol As GridColumnDescriptorCollection = New GridColumnDescriptorCollection()
            Dim singlecol As GridColumnDescriptor
            'IBaseClass:
            For Each computerItemProperty In assetPropertyType.GetProperties()
                singlecol = New GridColumnDescriptor(computerItemProperty.Name, computerItemProperty.Name, computerItemProperty.Name)
                singlecol.AllowFilter = True
                If singlecol.Name <> "" Then
                    allCol.Add(singlecol)
                End If
            Next
   'IMyObject Class:
            For Each computerItemProperty In computerPropertyType.GetProperties()
                singlecol = New GridColumnDescriptor(computerItemProperty.Name, computerItemProperty.Name, computerItemProperty.Name)
                singlecol.AllowFilter = True
                allCol.Add(singlecol)
            Next
'Enable Filtering
            m_Filter.WireGrid(GGC)
            GGC.TableDescriptor.Columns.Clear()
            GGC.TableDescriptor.Columns = allCol
        End Sub

After intialization, next steps were to get the data and bind them to datasource:

' MyObjectCollection inherits only Ilist(of MyObject)
Dim myObjects as MyObjectCollection = GetObjectCollection()
GGC.Datasource = myObjects

--> This fails, as when binding occurs the debugger runs into the dataset - cast -exception as some data are null. The businesObject itself, declared in an Interface, handles this by returning string.empty or nothing. I have no idea why the binding-process runs down to the dataset.

Then I simply used the collection and built a new list:

Dim myObjects as MyObjectCollection = GetObjectCollection()
Dim myDataSource = list(of MyObject) = new List(of MyObject)
For each mysimpleObject as MyObject in MyObjectCollection
myDatasource.Add(mysimpleObject)
next

GGC.Datasource = myDatasource

This works, EXCEPT! That there are data which are not shown.

The Class MyObject inherits from a BaseClass (e.g. field "id"), and these items are not shown in the grid.
Class MyObject
Inherits BaseClass
MyName as string
MyDate as Date
All direct fields (MyName,MyDate) are shown correctly, the derived fields are not shown at all; the columns itself are appearing, the cellvalues are missing.

Perhaps I could solve it when I get the key to setup the datasource for the collection. Can someone provide me an example?

2 Replies

MS Mr. Sascha Wald May 24, 2012 02:23 PM UTC

I found the reason. Which is, btw, not reasonable!

The Class "MyObject" should encapsulate the access to the dataset, but there was a public property DataRow of Type DataSetRow.

Changing this property to "Private", and the grid collects the data with no error and shows the inherited elements also.

I guess the Syncfusion-Grid tries something in reflection and runs there into the dataset when the property is public, and if private it uses the object-declaration...

So, now I can setup the Datasource to "MyObjectCollection" and everything works fine...

AS Asarudheen S Syncfusion Team May 29, 2012 09:24 AM UTC

Hi Sascha,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

We are glad to know that issue got resolved. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you for using Syncfusion products.

Regards,
Asarudheen.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon