This blog provides the show notes for our June 16, 2022, webinar, “Getting Started with .NET MAUI.” The webinar was presented and hosted by Microsoft MVP Leomaris Reyes. If you missed it, or would like to watch it again, you can find a recording of the webinar on our YouTube page or following.
During this webinar, Leomaris Reyes welcomes us into the world of .NET MAUI. Join us as she walks through the best tips and tricks for adapting to MAUI, showcases some of the highlights, and looks into the future of .NET MAUI.
Welcome to .NET Multi-Platform App UI (MAUI)
- It’s a cross-platform framework for building native desktop and mobile applications with C# and XAML.
- It was announced on May 19, 2020, at Microsoft Build and is part of .NET 6.
- Provides controls for hybrid Blazor scenarios.
- MAUI is a new framework, an evolution of Xamarin, not a name change.
- You can migrate Xamarin applications to MAUI without any problems!
- You can continue practicing both Xamarin and MAUI.
- Improvement to performance.
- New options enabled, such as model-view-update (MVU) pattern.
- Facilities in the extension of controls.
.NET MAUI essentials
Provides cross-platform APIS for native device features, such as:
- Access to sensors, such as accelerometer, compass, and gyroscope.
- Connectivity status check.
- Information about the devices.
- Text readers.
Most important improvements
- Single project:
- A project that targets multiple platforms and devices.
- A single location to manage resources like fonts and images.
- Multiple targeting to organize platform-specific code.
- You no longer need to perform image conversions for each platform and dimension.
- Easy access to other platforms:
- You can continue to access a platform-specific file in case you need it.
- Quick access to devices and emulators.
How do I access MAUI resources?
- From Windows, you can Install Visual Studio 2022 Preview.
- Confirm that .NET MAUI is checked under “Mobile Development with .NET workload.”
- You can also install it for Mac using the command line.
How can I contribute to MAUI?
- Share your experience and share it in MAUI Reviews.
- Get creative and experiment.
- If you see any Microsoft Challenges, participate!
During this webinar, we took a look at getting started with .NET MAUI as well as what the future of MAUI currently looks like.
We hope you enjoyed this webinar and please keep an eye out for our future .NET MAUI webinars.
When will Syncfusion release MAUI versions of their controls?
We have already developed a few controls in .NET MAUI. Refer to the Syncfusion .NET MAUI controls page for the available controls and refer to the article on Syncfusion’s roadmap of .NET MAUI controls to learn the schedule for releases of new controls.
What is the status of the Syncfusion Image Editor, PDF Viewer/Editor, and combo box with .NET MAUI?
Please find the expected time of availability for these controls:
- Image Editor—2022 Volume 4
- PDF Viewer—2022 Volume 4
- Combo Box—2022 Volume 3
For more details, refer to this article on the roadmap of .NET MAUI controls.
What options for automated UI testing will Syncfusion offer?
As of now, the framework doesn’t have any provision to automate UI testing.
I was wondering about specific controls being made available for MAUI, like GridView, Editors?
You can refer to our article on the roadmap of .NET MAUI controls for details.
Do you know if MAUI is going to be available soon? I mean, not only in preview but a full release?
.NET MAUI general availability has already rolled out. Refer to .NET MAUI GA Release: Syncfusion Updates blog to learn more.
Are we required to spend any additional amount for a Syncfusion license for MAUI if we already purchased one for Xamarin.Forms?
No, you don’t need to spend a penny to get your hands on Syncfusion’s .NET MAUI controls if you have a Syncfusion license for Xamarin.Forms. For more details, you can refer to this collection of FAQs.
Recommended resources (related links):
Reach out to Leomaris:
- Blog: https://askxammy.com/author/leoreyes/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/leomarisreyes11?lang=en
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/leomaris-reyes-1b598661/
- Syncfusion .NET MAUI controls