We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Layers in Diagram 5

Looks as though Layers are no longer z-order based in version 5.

Playing with the Diagraming Sample, and it seems that I can place an object on layer 1, and another object on layer 2, and then place object on layer 2 behind all, and it moves behind the object on layer 1.

Is this correct? If so, the function of layers is really, very significantly hampered. Very counter-intuitive and completely unlike any traditional drawing program, including Visio, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc...

Also, oddly enough, 2 layers can be simultaneously active, and when active, placing an object onto the canvas places it into BOTH layers. How can one object be on two layers? Non-sense.

3 Replies

J. J.Nagarajan Syncfusion Team April 30, 2007 10:53 PM UTC

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion product.

Please refer to the attached document and let me know if your requirement is something different.

Thanks,
Nagaraj

http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/user/uploads/Document_91809b72.zip

ER ERobishaw May 1, 2007 11:13 PM UTC

Point well made... looks like Visio is using the same non-sense scheme.

IMHO this is one place you would want to DEVIATE from Visio, or at-least offer a non-Visio layer mode...

The whole point of layers is that you put an object in a layer, and move the layer behind / in front of other layers, and the object(s) move behind / in front of the other objects in the corresponding layers. Kinda like super-groups, basically.

For the life of me I can't imagine why you would operate otherwise.... can you?

Drawing programs like Illustrator, Photoshop, even Microsoft's Blend work as expected. I guess Visio is the odd-man out.

Maybe a way to "correct" this is to add an overload to the MoveBehin, MoveToBack() (or whatever they actually are... I'm not looking at the code right now) that would allow you to say MoveToBack(bool onlyThisLayer)

>Hi Eric,

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion product.

Please refer to the attached document and let me know if your requirement is something different.

Thanks,
Nagaraj

http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/user/uploads/Document_91809b72.zip

J. J.Nagarajan Syncfusion Team May 2, 2007 07:13 PM UTC

Hi Eric,

Thanks the update. I have forwarded your feedback to our development team and we will try to implement this functionality in our product.

Thanks for using syncfusion product.

Regards,
Nagaraj

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon