We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Disappearing dockable windows and more

I am currently evaluating the Syncfusion components to see whether they can replace the set of components my company use today. I started with the dockable windows provided by Syncfusion and I have noted a couple of problems already by just running the sample apps provided with the evaluation download.

The first problem is really serious as tool windows disappears in the SDI Demo found under the docking package. The following is 100% reproducable for me (Essential Studio 4.4.0.51)
1. Start the SDI Demo sample app
2. Drag the DockController pane to the lower right corner
3. Drag the Docking Manager pane to the lower left so that there are four panes in a row at the bottom of the window.
4. Undock the four panes by double clicking on the leftmost title bar until all are undocked, you may have to drag them to the side.
4. Double click on the title bars in reverse order to redock the undocked panes. But the result is that they disappear...

The second problem is also pretty serious and is found in the WindowFill demo
1. Start the WindowFill sample app
2. Drag the Tasks pane and stack it on top of the Items pane to form a stack of three panes but when you drop the pane all three panes disappear.
3. If you resize the application window the panes appears again.

It is suprising to me that such serious bugs can be found after just playing around for a few minutes with the sample apps provided with the product.

The third problem I have noted is less serious in nature but very obvious. That is that the tabs of the dockable windows does a poor job of mimicing the styles that they are supposed to look like. There are obvious differences both for the VS.NET 2005 style and the Windows XP Theme style, and the differences are not improvements but makes the tabs uglier and less clear than the originals. I have not looked at the other styles in detail so I don't know about them.

I must say that I am pretty close to giving up on this component set already. The quality does not simply seem to be acceptable.

Does any one want to comment on this? Other customers or Syncfusion employees?

5 Replies

MU Murugan Syncfusion Team December 8, 2006 11:38 PM UTC

Hi Svante,

We really regret for the inconvenience. We were able to reproduce the above mentioned issues ( DockControl disappearing and control resizing issue ). Regarding VS2005 visualstyles we will contact the development team and let you know the details soon.

Thanks for evaluating Syncfusion products.

Regards,
Murugan P.S

SL Svante Lidman December 9, 2006 01:31 PM UTC

Ok, can someone tell me whether this level of quality is typical for Syncfusion (i.e., not suitable for production use) or whether this was an anomaly.

If an anomaly, what is the expected turn-around to get critical issues (as the first on in the list) fixed. And of course more specifically, when will the reported issues be fixed?

The answers to these questions will determine whether I will spend more time evaluating Syncfusions products or whether it is time to move on.

Thanks,

Svante

SL Svante Lidman December 13, 2006 09:05 AM UTC

Any update on this? I really like the breadth of the Syncfusion libraries but that won't help if the quality and customer service is not there.

Thanks,

Svante

SL Scott Lerch December 14, 2006 11:14 PM UTC

Unfortunately this is fairly typical. Every new release seems to break features that worked in previous releases. Support is quick to respond but fixes take awhile and many times they require you to create a sample project to prove something is broken which is time consuming. If your application can manage without all the GUI bells and whistles, I would avoid using Syncfusion products.

>Any update on this? I really like the breadth of the Syncfusion libraries but that won't help if the quality and customer service is not there.

Thanks,

Svante

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team December 15, 2006 10:16 AM UTC

Hi Svante / Scott,

Our sincere apologies for not updating this thread. We have made several improvements in Docking Manager Framework over the previous versions in v.4.4. Unfortunately, it introduced certain issues in this version, which we are currently working on fixing them.

Please refer to the below listed bug report details.

1) As with control disappearing issue, We were able to reproduce the issue and have logged a defect report with high priority.Here is the defect report link to keep track of the bug fix

http://www.syncfusion.com/support/issues/tools/Default.aspx?ToDo=view&questId=3166

2) Regarding resizing issue, we already intimated to our development team and they are currently working on this issue.

3) Visual style issue, we can make changes to the existing styles in the upcoming versions.

We strongly regret for the inconveniences caused to you by this delay in addressing these issues.

Thanks for your patience. Please do let us know if we can be of further assistance to you in this regard.

Regards,
Praveena.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon