We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Syncfusion Javascript vs Essential JS 2

Hi,

I am confused with the library offered by Syncfusion with regards the syncfusion javascript and the essential JS 2.   For example,  there is one javascript library (https://help.syncfusion.com/angular/overview) for Angular 2 and the other new ones Essential JS 2 (http://ej2.syncfusion.com/1.0.25/demos/#/material/chart/line.html)

May I know, I what condition or scenario should I used one over the other?  Thank you.

5 Replies

MS Mydeen S N Syncfusion Team November 15, 2017 10:52 AM UTC

Hi Albert, 

Essential JS 1 is the first-generation JQuery based JavaScript UI framework from Syncfusion that was initially released in July 2013. This framework has been in active development for more than four years so it is very feature rich and mature. It also includes support for all popular browsers including older browsers like IE8. We will continue to develop, maintain and support this version for several more years. However, please note that new feature development will only happen in Essential JS 1 if an equivalent control is not yet available in Essential JS 2. 

Starting with the Volume 4 2017 release, we have also shipped a beta version of the second generation of the Essential JS library (Essential JS 2). This new library has several advantages over the first-generation library since it has been built from the ground up to be more modular, lightweight, responsive, fast and has no external dependencies. However, it only supports modern browsers starting from IE11 and currently only includes a subset of the controls available in Essential JS 1. Please note that we will ensure that a control in Essential JS 2 will have feature parity with its equivalent in Essential JS 1 before it is officially released. 

Here are some guidelines for choosing between these two frameworks 

Existing applications 
  • Continue to use Essential JS 1 unless you need access to a new feature or control exclusively available in Essential JS 2. We will also be happy to provide any required assistance for migration.
  • Selectively use some controls from Essential JS 2.

New applications 
  • We recommend using Essential JS 2 unless a control is exclusively available in Essential JS 1 only.

Regards, 
Mydeen S N 

RF Robert Farrell September 18, 2018 02:39 PM UTC

Hi Mydeen,

Our company is looking to develop an application which fundamentally requires a Diagramming tool. I found your last response from Nov 2017 quite interesting, and I have a few questions which I was hoping you could answer:

1) Where do you stand today (September 2018) with JS 1 vs JS 2? Is JS 2 still in a Beta version?

2) I have found the Demo controls (particularly of the diagramming tool) very interesting. Could you explain what the "Preview" key refers too (see inserted screenshot)? 

Many Thanks

JR John Rajaram Syncfusion Team September 19, 2018 10:08 AM UTC

Hi Robert, 
Please find the below details. 
Query 1: Where do you stand today (September 2018) with JS 1 vs JS 2? Is JS 2 still in a Beta version? 
Answer: 
We would like to let you know that, our Essential JS 2 components are available for Production from the month of February 2018 (Essential Studio Volume 1, 2018 release). Please find the list of available Essential JS 2 components in the below link. 

Query 2:  I have found the Demo controls (particularly of the diagramming tool) very interesting. Could you explain what the "Preview" key refers too (see inserted screenshot)?  
Answer: 
The Preview label next to “Diagram” components refers that, Diagram component is at initial state and it is not recommended for Production application. But the components which don’t have Preview label represents that, it is suitable for your Production application. Currently Diagram component is planned to mark as final in our Essential Studio Volume 4, 2018 release. 
Please let us know if you have queries. 
Regards, 
John R 

RF Robert Farrell September 19, 2018 10:21 AM UTC

Thanks for your quick response John!

JR John Rajaram Syncfusion Team September 20, 2018 04:22 AM UTC

Hi Robert, 
Thank you for the update. Please let us know if you need further assistance on this. 
Regards, 
John R 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon