We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Child group caption text using a Foreign Key Column

Current I have a table that has one of its columns as a Foreign key. I can show the related textual value of the column in the table rows, however when I group by on this column the summary caption text shows the id value and not the corresponding text value.

e.g.

Current displays....               Brand: 1 - 5 Items

I Want to display...              Brand: Pepsi - 5 Items

8 Replies

GG Graham Gardner December 17, 2012 11:05 AM UTC

Could someone please contact me about this as I need a resolution ASAP,

thanks in advance

GS Gowri S Syncfusion Team December 21, 2012 11:33 AM UTC

Hi Graham,

Sorry for the delay.

We are unable to reproduce the issue. We have prepared a simple sample and the same can be downloaded from the following links.

SampleWebGrid.zip

Could you please try the above sample and get back to us whether you are able to reproduce the issue? If not, could you please give more information or by reproducing the issue in the above sample so that we could sort out the issue and provide you with solution.The information provided would be of great help in resolving the issue.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Gowri S.

GG Graham Gardner January 28, 2013 06:33 PM UTC

Sample is in visual 2010 format I am using 2008 and cannot open the example could you save it as a 2008 project please.

SN Sridhar N Syncfusion Team February 4, 2013 10:40 AM UTC

Hi Graham,

We have prepared the sample in vs2008 for your convenience and the same can be downloaded from below link.

ChildGrid.zip 

Please let me know if any concern.

Regards,
Sridhar N

GG Graham Gardner May 3, 2013 01:17 PM UTC

Sorry for the delay in responding, thanks for this.

I have a similar problem with the grids filterbar drop down boxes ie. I want to display the foreign keys text instead of the number in filters drop down 

ie. we have a Brands column that uses a foreign key
idBrands BrandName
1              Brand X
2              Brand Y

etc

in the main table the Brand Column filter dropdown shows the number I want it to display the BrandName in the filter dropdown but to actually filter the main table using the corresponding id number? 

GG Graham Gardner May 3, 2013 03:22 PM UTC

how would i setup the childtable if  it was held in a datatable rather than the classes shown in the example you provided?

GG Graham Gardner May 4, 2013 09:41 AM UTC

I am getting the following script error when selecting an opton from the filter box and is probably why the numbers are still showing rather than the related tables BrandName.

Microsoft JScript runtime error: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: Possible incorrect RelationDescriptor.ChildTableName for Relation Brand.
Engine.SourceListSet[theBrands] returned null.
Did you forget to call Engine.SourceListSet.Add(new SourceListSetEntry(theBrands, list)
or did you specify a wrong ChildTableName?
Valid ChildTableName entries are: 'DefaultView'

BM Bala Murugan A.S Syncfusion Team May 6, 2013 12:34 PM UTC

Hi Graham Gardner,

Thanks for your update.

Could you please confirm whether you are trying to display countrycode in filter dropdown for CountryName column.

Please refer the above sample and replicate your scenario in the above sample and send back to us with screenshot of what you are expecting plus detailed information so that we could able to provide you a better solution quickly?. The information provided would be a great help for us to resolve your issue.

Regards,
Bala Murugan A.S

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon