We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
If you became a customer of the Syncfusion Reporting Platform or the Report Viewer, Report Designer, or Report Writer components before October 2019 and have questions related to those products, you can request support through our forum system. However, please note that this support system is only for existing customers who are still using the Syncfusion Reporting Platform or its components and not for new customers looking for reporting products from Syncfusion.

For new customers or those with general reporting questions, we recommend contacting our support team at https://support.boldreports.com/, which is a separate brand created by Syncfusion for its reporting solutions. Our team will be happy to assist you with any questions you may have.

Thank you for choosing Syncfusion for your reporting needs.

Question: What is the viability of using ReportWriter with Xamarin Forms?

What I'm looking for is a cross-platform solution for a Xamarin Forms application targeting .NET Standard 2.0 (iOS, Android and UWP.)

This expounds a bit on this question and this approach.

Reading through the documentation (though sparse) and piecing things together, given that the Report Framework targets .NET Standard, would the following be possible?

1. Create a Xamarin Forms .NET Standard 2.x Project
3. Create a simple, data bound report (RDL/RDLC) and embed it as a project resource
4. Load the report at runtime and set the processing mode to local.
5. Load data from a repository (e.g. SQLite) and add the result as a datasource to the report.
6. Export the report to PDF
7. Use the Syncfusion Xamarin Forms PDF viewer to present it to the user

Thank you

Robert

9 Replies

VS Vinoth Srinivasan Syncfusion Team May 16, 2019 01:14 PM UTC

Hi Robert, 

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion components. 

Yes, we can create a Xamarin cross platform application with our report writer to export the report as PDF and load the exported PDF stream into PDFViewer as per your requirement. We have prepared a sample based on your requirement with SQLite data and it can be downloaded from the below location. 

As of now we can only work with RDLC report in Xamarin application. 

Regards, 
Vinoth S. 

RM Robert Mims May 16, 2019 01:16 PM UTC

Vinoth,

Thank you, that is great news.

Robert

VS Vinoth Srinivasan Syncfusion Team May 17, 2019 05:43 AM UTC

Hi Robert. 

Thanks for your update. Please let us know if you require any further assistance on this. 

Regards, 
Vinoth S. 

RM Robert Mims May 20, 2019 06:31 PM UTC

Vinoth,

The sample worked great and I've begun integrating a version of the concept within the product.

One observation I had is that the Syncfusion.Report.Portable.dll is an older version than the service pack I installed today. Checking the other installs and Nuget references that contain it yielded a similarly named assembly that had additional dependencies that would not compile the same as your sample provided reference (this as I target .NET Standard 2.0 and taking on System.Drawing.Common does not have the System.Drawing.FontStyle enumeration.)

I noticed that the version you included had the SkiaSharp dependency and that the Syncfusion.Report.Net.Core target for .NET Standard 1.4 appeared to resemble it more than the .NET Standard 2.0 dependencies (which align more with .NET Core 3+ than Standard.)

Long way of getting to my question:

Is it the case that for this to work, until Core and Standard converge, we'll need to reference the .NET Standard 1.4 Syncfusion.Report.Portable.dll target manually in our .NET Standard 2+ projects?

Thank you.

Robert

VS Vinoth Srinivasan Syncfusion Team May 22, 2019 03:49 AM UTC

Hi Robert, 

Currently, we don’t have our ReportWriter as a public release to make of use of it with Xamarin, which will be available in any of our future release. Until the release, you can get the updated assemblies with latest public version though Direct-Trac support.  You don’t have the problem make use of the Sycnfusion.Report.Portable NetStandard1.4 assemblies when you don’t have the need to make need to make use of our File Format libraries. If you like to make use of the product along with file formats libraries the please contact our support with your production version, we will share you the Syncfusion.Report.Portable assemblies with your production version. 

Regards, 
Vinoth S. 

RM Robert Mims May 22, 2019 10:12 AM UTC

Thank you, Vinoth.

Robert

VS Vinoth Srinivasan Syncfusion Team May 23, 2019 07:00 PM UTC

Hi Robert, 

We have updated details in forum and please refer the incident for more details 

Regards, 
Vinoth S. 

RM Robert Mims May 23, 2019 07:52 PM UTC

Thank you, Vinoth.

Worked great on all platforms after I updated the references.

I'll use this in my current efforts and be sure to report back.

Kind regards,

Robert.

VS Vinoth Srinivasan Syncfusion Team May 24, 2019 06:47 AM UTC

Hi Robert, 

Thanks for your update. If you need any further assistance, please let us know. 

Regards, 
Vinoth S. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon