We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Setting locale does not work

Hello

I am using EJ 2 version 16.1.0.34 (nuget package).

Changing the locale of the grid (or any other control) does not do anything.

Are there some packages/scripts that need to be added in order to get the localization to work?

I also tried the following
but to no avail.

Could you please provide me with a step-by-step instruction on how to set the language of a control to any other language than English?

Kind regards
Phil

29 Replies

RS Renjith Singh Rajendran Syncfusion Team April 17, 2018 09:22 AM UTC

Hi Ben, 

Thanks for contacting Syncfusion support. 

To achieve localization in Grid we suggest you to load translation object in your application use “load” function and set the value for the “locale” property of Grid. Please refer the code example below, 

<div> 
    <ejs-grid id="Grid" dataSource="ViewBag.DataSource" allowGrouping="true" allowFiltering="true" locale="de-DE" allowPaging="true"> 
        <e-grid-columns> 
       </e-grid-columns> 
    </ejs-grid> 
</div> 

<script> 
    ej.base.L10n.load({ 
        'de-DE': { 
            'grid': { 
                'EmptyRecord': 'Keine Aufzeichnungen angezeigt', 
               'Items': 'Artikel' 
            }, 
            'pager': { 
                'currentPageInfo': '{0} von {1} Seiten', 
               'previousPagerTooltip': 'Zum vorherigen Pager' 
            } 
        } 
    }); 
</script> 

We have also prepared a simple sample of localization in Grid, which could be downloaded from the link below, 

Please get back to us if you need further assistance. 

Regards, 
Renjith Singh Rajendran. 

UN Unknown April 17, 2018 10:08 AM UTC

Thanks to your reply I was able to use the localization, thank you a lot.

Now it seems that I will need to manually translate all the texts by myself?
Are there no translations already available, as it is the case for the EJ 1 controls?

RS Renjith Singh Rajendran Syncfusion Team April 18, 2018 07:13 AM UTC

Hi Ben, 

Thanks for the update. 

Currently we don’t have localization package for Essential JS 2 components and we have added this in our feature request list. It will be available in our any of our upcoming release. 

Until then we appreciate your patience. 

Regards, 
Renjith Singh Rajendran. 

UN Unknown April 18, 2018 03:34 PM UTC

I see, thank you for the update.

However, could you tell me if the localization package will be available this year or more likely next year?

If it helps speeding up the process of creating the localization package, I would be willing to translate the EJ2 controls into German (I already translated all the EJ 1 controls for an application of ours). Just let me know if that would help you.

Kind regards

RS Renjith Singh Rajendran Syncfusion Team April 19, 2018 01:32 PM UTC

Hi Ben, 

Thanks for the update. 

The feature “Provide localization package support for Essential JS 2 components” will be available in our Essential Studio Volume 3, 2018 release, which is scheduled to be rolled out in the month of August 2018.  

Until then we appreciate your patience. 

Regards, 
Renjith Singh Rajendran. 

UN Unknown October 26, 2018 02:10 PM UTC

Hello

Essential Studio Volume 3, 2018 has been released some time ago.
Is it now possible to use the feature "localization package for Essential JS 2 components"?
If so, could you provide me with an example on how to use it for a component (e.g. Grid)?

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards
Phil

MF Mohammed Farook J Syncfusion Team October 29, 2018 12:22 PM UTC

Hi Phil, 

We are glad to announce that support for "localization package for Essential JS 2 components" have been available from our Volume 3, 2018 release. We have published the ej2-locale in the github repository. Please refer the below link below, 

Based on your request we have prepared a sample in which we have loaded the localization package to apply the “de-DE” culture in Grid.  

Please refer the code example below, 

<ejs-grid id="Grid" allowPaging="true" allowGrouping="true"> 
</ejs-grid> 

<script> 
    function loadCultureFiles() {                  
        var ajax = new ej.base.Ajax(location.origin + '/../../scripts/src/de-DE.json', 'GET', true);   //load the de-DE json culture file 
        ajax.send().then((e) => { 
            var culture = JSON.parse(e); 
            ej.base.L10n.load( 
                culture                                  
            ); 
            ej.base.setCulture('de-DE');                //Set the culture for the EJ2 components 
        }); 
    } 

document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function () { 
        loadCultureFiles(); 
    }); 
</script> 

Regards, 
J Mohammed Farook 

CO Costa November 5, 2018 01:13 PM UTC

Hi. What about the currency symbol, the digit separator, the default date format for the locale? Just as it is implemented in the Essential JS 1.

MF Mohammed Farook J Syncfusion Team November 6, 2018 04:22 AM UTC

Hi Phil, 
We have analyzed your query and please find the code example for applying  format syntax for number and date column. 

<ejs-grid id="Grid"  dataSource="ViewBag.dataSource" allowPaging="true" > 
      <e-grid-pagesettings pageCount="5"></e-grid-pagesettings> 
            <e-grid-columns> 
                <e-grid-column field="OrderID" headerText="Order ID" textAlign="Right" width="120"></e-grid-column> 
                <e-grid-column field="CustomerID" headerText="Customer Name" width="150"></e-grid-column> 
                <e-grid-column field="OrderDate" headerText=" Order Date"   format="yMd" width="130"></e-grid-column> 
                <e-grid-column field="Freight" headerText="Freight"  format="C2" width="120"></e-grid-column> 
                <e-grid-column field="StockInUnits" headerText="Stock"  format="N0" width="140"></e-grid-column> 

</e-grid-columns> 

Regards, 
J Mohammed Farook 

CO Costa November 6, 2018 11:56 AM UTC

Hi, Mohammed. I'm not Phil, but it doesn't matter.
Of course, I'm talking about a localized currency symbol, localized decimal separator, localized default date format.
For example, how can I see the European Euro '€' symbol with the ',' symbol as the decimal separator in the 'Freight' column in your example?

Thanks.

MF Mohammed Farook J Syncfusion Team November 6, 2018 12:21 PM UTC

Hi Costa, 

We have validated your query. For Internationalization and localization, you need to include cldr files into your application. You need to download cldr-data globally in any location by using below command. 

Command: 
npm install cldr-data 

After installing cldr-data, you can find cldr-data for all locale in this location(node_modules->cldr-data->main). You need to copy the required(or all) locale cldr-data and paste into your application folder(Scripts->cldr->main->paste copied cldr files). 

You need to include cldr-data into your application and refer file location in index.cshtml file like below code example. Please find the below code example and sample for your reference. 

[code example] [index.cshtml] 
<div> 
    <ejs-grid id="Grid" locale="it" dataSource="ViewBag.DataSource" allowPaging="true" allowGrouping="true"> 
        <e-grid-pagesettings pageCount="4" pageSize="5"></e-grid-pagesettings> 
   </ejs-grid> 
</div> 

<script> 
    ej.base.L10n.load({                          //for loading translations 
        'de': { 
                'GroupDropArea': 'Ziehen Sie einen Spaltenkopf hier, um die Gruppe ihre Spalte', 
            }, 
                'currentPageInfo': '{0} von {1} Seiten', 
                'totalItemsInfo': '({0} Beiträge)', 
            } 
        } 
    }); 

<script> 

function loadCultureFiles(name) { 
            var files = ['ca-gregorian.json', 'numbers.json', 'timeZoneNames.json', 'currencies.json']; 
            var loadCulture = function (prop) { 
                var val, ajax; 
                ajax = new ej.base.Ajax(location.origin + '/../../scripts/cldr-data/main/' + name + '/' + files[prop], 'GET', true); 
                ajax.onSuccess = function (value) { 
                    val = value; 
                    ej.base.loadCldr(JSON.parse(val)); 
                }; 
                ajax.send(); 
                ej.base.setCulture('it'); 
                ej.base.setCurrencyCode('EUR'); 
            }; 
            for (var prop = 0; prop < files.length; prop++) { 
                loadCulture(prop); 
            } 
        } 

loadCultureFiles('it'); 
        }); 
    }); 
</script> 

In above the code example we have applied Euro symbol for number and date column. 
Regards, 
J Mohammed Farook 

CO Costa November 7, 2018 12:37 PM UTC

Yes, It works.
Thank you!

MF Mohammed Farook J Syncfusion Team November 7, 2018 01:01 PM UTC

Hi Costa, 

Thanks for the update. We are happy to hear your problem has been resolved.  

Please get back to us, if you need further assistance. 

Regards, 
J Mohammed Farook 

CO Costa November 8, 2018 11:06 AM UTC

Yes, It works. But, unfortunately, works alternately. Either culture(cldr-data)  or text translation(https://github.com/syncfusion/ej2-locale). I couldn't get them to work at the same time.
Help.

MF Mohammed Farook J Syncfusion Team November 9, 2018 11:23 AM UTC

Hi Costa, 

Query: Yes, It works. But, unfortunately, works alternately. Either culture(cldr-data)  or text translation(https://github.com/syncfusion/ej2-locale). I couldn't get them to work at the same time. 

We have validated your query and created a sample based on your requirement. Here, we have created a sample with both loading culture files(for formats., and others) and loading translations(text translations). Please find the below code example and sample for your reference. 

[code example] 

<div> 
    <ejs-grid id="Grid" locale="it" dataSource="ViewBag.DataSource" allowPaging="true" allowGrouping="true"> 
        <e-grid-columns> 
       </e-grid-columns> 
    </ejs-grid> 
</div> 

<script> 

ej.base.L10n.load({             //for loading translations 
        'it': { 
                'EmptyRecord': 'Record vuoto', 
                'GroupDropArea': 'Gruppo Drop Area', 
            }, 
                'currentPageInfo': '{0} di {1} pagine', 
                'totalItemsInfo': '({0} post)', 
            } 
        } 
    }); 

function loadCultureFiles(name) {            //for applying number format and others 
        ej.base.setCulture(name); 
        var files = ['ca-gregorian.json', 'numbers.json', 'timeZoneNames.json']; 
        if (name === 'it') { 
            files.push('numberingSystems.json'); 
        } 
        var loader = ej.base.loadCldr; 
            var val, ajax; 
            if (name === 'it' && prop === files.length - 1) { 
                ajax = new ej.base.Ajax(location.origin + '/../../scripts/cldr-data/supplemental/' + files[prop], 'GET', false); 
            } else { 
                ajax = new ej.base.Ajax(location.origin + '/../../scripts/cldr-data/main/' + name + '/' + files[prop], 'GET', false); 
            } 
                val = value; 
            }; 
            ajax.send(); 
            loader(JSON.parse(val)); 
        }; 
            loadCulture(prop); 
        } 
    } 

loadCultureFiles('it'); 
    }); 
</script> 

Please find the sample in below link. 

Regards, 
J Mohammed Farook 

CO Costa November 11, 2018 01:39 AM UTC

I think my problem was because of the different names of cultures in the files cldr-data and ej2-locale.
For example, in cldr-data italian culture is called 'it', and in ej2-locale - 'it-IT'. Because of this, it was impossible to use cldr-data and ej2-locale at the same time.

I solved the problem by renaming 'it-IT' in 'it', in it-IT.json file.

{
    "it-IT": {
        "chart": {
            "Zoom": "Zoom",
            "ZoomIn": "Ingrandire", 

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Also the 'ajax.send().then((e) => {..." code leads to an syntax error in IE 11.

How to avoid this error in IE 11 ?

VA Venkatesh Ayothi Raman Syncfusion Team November 12, 2018 04:18 AM UTC

Hi Costa, 
Thanks for the update. 

Yes, you can use corresponding culture file name which is in CLDR data. Here culture name ‘it’ holds the Italian localization. Also, IE 11 doesn’t support the arrow function. So, you can use function instead of arrow. Please refer to the following Online reference for more information, 

Regards, 
Venkatesh Ayothiraman. 

CO Costa November 12, 2018 11:00 AM UTC

It's clear, thank you.

UN Unknown November 12, 2018 11:56 AM UTC

@Costa thank you for your comment about renaming the culture name from "it-IT" to "it" in the [culture].json file. This really helped me.

There still seem to be some issues with the translations of some Syncfusion controls.

DropDownList - missing text
When using remote data, if there are no data returned, the message displayed is "No Records Found".
However, this text does not exist in the en-US.json file. 
Where does this text come from?
Add a means for translating it via the ej2-locale files.

Grid - validations not translated
When using validation rules in a Grid (e.g. ValidationRules(new { required = true })), the error message is not translated.
The text for this message is "This field is required.", which does not exist in the en-US.json file. It seems to be coming from jquery-validation.
Add a means for translating the Grid validation error messages via the ej2-locale files.

There might be more errors like these in the Syncfusion controls.
However, it is not up to me to find and fix these.
Please recheck all controls and make sure the translations work flawlessly.

MF Mohammed Farook J Syncfusion Team November 13, 2018 12:43 PM UTC

Hi Phil, 

Query 2: Grid - validations not translated. When using validation rules in a Grid (e.g. ValidationRules(new { required = true })), the error message is not translated. The text for this message is "This field is required.", 

We have already logged Need to provide localization support for form validator as a feature and it is expected to be rolled out in Volume 4, 2018 release. You can track down the status of this feature from the below link. 

Until use the below workaround. You can achieve your requirement by using created event. Please find the below code example and sample for your reference. 

[code example] 

<div> 
    <ejs-grid id="Grid" locale="it" dataSource="ViewBag.DataSource" created="created" toolbar="@(new List<string>() { "Add", "Edit", "Delete", "Cancel", "Update" })" allowPaging="true" allowGrouping="true"> 
        <e-grid-editSettings allowAdding="true" allowDeleting="true" allowEditing="true" mode="Normal"></e-grid-editSettings> 
        <e-grid-columns> 
            <e-grid-column field="OrderID" headerText="Order ID" textAlign="Right" width="120"></e-grid-column> 
       </e-grid-columns> 
    </ejs-grid> 
</div> 

<script> 

function created(e) { 
        this.getColumns()[0].validationRules = { required: [true, 'Questo campo è obbligatorio'] } 
   } 

</script> 

Regards, 
J Mohammed Farook 

MF Mohammed Farook J Syncfusion Team November 13, 2018 01:02 PM UTC

Hi Phil, 

Query 1: When using remote data, if there are no data returned, the message displayed is "No Records Found". 

You can localize "No Records Found" message in the DropDownList using the noRecordsTemplate property. Kindly refer to the following link:  

<ejs-dropdownlist id="employees" dataSource="@ViewBag.data" placeholder="Select an employee" popupHeight="270px"  
                    noRecordsTemplate="@Html.Raw("<span class='norecord'> Nessun record trovato </span>")">  
    <e-dropdownlist-fields text="Name"></e-dropdownlist-fields>  
</ejs-dropdownlist>  

Query 2: Grid - validations not translated. When using validation rules in a Grid (e.g. ValidationRules(new { required = true })), the error message is not translated. The text for this message is "This field is required.", 

We have already logged Need to provide localization support for form validator as a feature and it is expected to be rolled out in Volume 4, 2018 release. You can track down the status of this feature from the below link. 

Until use the below workaround. You can achieve your requirement by using created event. Please find the below code example and sample for your reference. 

[code example] 

<div> 
    <ejs-grid id="Grid" locale="it" dataSource="ViewBag.DataSource" created="created" toolbar="@(new List<string>() { "Add", "Edit", "Delete", "Cancel", "Update" })" allowPaging="true" allowGrouping="true"> 
        <e-grid-editSettings allowAdding="true" allowDeleting="true" allowEditing="true" mode="Normal"></e-grid-editSettings> 
        <e-grid-columns> 
       </e-grid-columns> 
    </ejs-grid> 
</div> 

<script> 

function created(e) { 
        this.getColumns()[0].validationRules = { required: [true, 'Questo campo è obbligatorio'] } 
   } 

</script> 

Regards, 
J Mohammed Farook 

UN Unknown November 13, 2018 01:38 PM UTC

Query 1: When using remote data, if there are no data returned, the message displayed is "No Records Found". 
I could apply the translation as described in your answer.
However, it is quite bothersome to add the NoRecordsTemplate to each and every DropDownList.

Will the "No Records Found" message be added to the ej2-locale file in a future release?

The workaround for the Grid validators is fine by me.

Thank your for your help.

MF Mohammed Farook J Syncfusion Team November 14, 2018 01:13 PM UTC

Hi Phil, 

Query: When using remote data, if there are no data returned, the message displayed is "No Records Found". I could apply the translation as described in your answer. However, it is quite bothersome to add the NoRecordsTemplate to each and every DropDownList. 

You can also provide the localization in the application using the following code   

<div class="control-wrapper">  
    <div id="default" style='padding-top:75px;'>  
        <ejs-dropdownlist id="customers" query="new ej.data.Query().select('CustomerID','OrderID').take(10)" placeholder="Select a customer" locale="it-IT" popupHeight="200px">  
            <e-dropdownlist-fields text="CustomerID" value="OrderID"></e-dropdownlist-fields>  
            <e-datamanager url="http://js.syncfusion.com/demos/ejServices/Wcf/Northwind.svc/Orders/" crossDomain="true"></e-datamanager>  
        </ejs-dropdownlist>  
    </div>  
</div>  
<script>  
    ej.base.L10n.load({  
        'it-IT': {  
            'dropdowns': {  
                'noRecordsTemplate': "Nessun record trovato",  
                'actionFailureTemplate': "La richiesta non è riuscita"  
            }  
        }  
    });  
</script  

Kindly refer to the following UG documentation: https://ej2.syncfusion.com/aspnetcore/documentation/drop-down-list/localization   

Regards, 
J Mohammed Farook 

UN Unknown November 14, 2018 03:12 PM UTC

Thank you a lot for your reply.

I added the following to "en-US.json" (and the translated texts to the other locale files as well):
"dropdowns": {
    "noRecordsTemplate": "No records found",
    "actionFailureTemplate": "The request failed"
}

This solved my problem.

Could you please make sure that this is added to the "en-US.json" file (and all other locales as well)?

MF Mohammed Farook J Syncfusion Team November 15, 2018 08:56 AM UTC

Hi Philippe, 

We have created a new incident #220529 under your account so please follow the incident for further update. 

Regards, 
J Mohammed Farook 

UN Unknown November 15, 2018 09:33 AM UTC

Thank you very much for your help.

MF Mohammed Farook J Syncfusion Team November 15, 2018 09:35 AM UTC

Hi Philippe,  
Thanks for your update. Please get back to us if you need further assistance from us. 
Regards, 
J Mohammed Farook 

MN Mustafa Noman replied to Mohammed Farook J July 27, 2020 02:00 PM UTC

Hi Costa, 

Query: Yes, It works. But, unfortunately, works alternately. Either culture(cldr-data)  or text translation(https://github.com/syncfusion/ej2-locale). I couldn't get them to work at the same time. 

We have validated your query and created a sample based on your requirement. Here, we have created a sample with both loading culture files(for formats., and others) and loading translations(text translations). Please find the below code example and sample for your reference. 

[code example] 

<div> 
        <e-grid-columns> 
       </e-grid-columns> 
    </ejs-grid> 
</div> 

<script> 

ej.base.L10n.load({             //for loading translations 
        'it': { 
                'EmptyRecord': 'Record vuoto', 
                'GroupDropArea': 'Gruppo Drop Area', 
            }, 
                'currentPageInfo': '{0} di {1} pagine', 
                'totalItemsInfo': '({0} post)', 
            } 
        } 
    }); 

function loadCultureFiles(name) {            //for applying number format and others 
        ej.base.setCulture(name); 
        var files = ['ca-gregorian.json', 'numbers.json', 'timeZoneNames.json']; 
        if (name === 'it') { 
        } 
            var val, ajax; 
            if (name === 'it' && prop === files.length - 1) { 
                ajax = new ej.base.Ajax(location.origin + '/../../scripts/cldr-data/supplemental/' + files[prop], 'GET', false); 
            } else { 
                ajax = new ej.base.Ajax(location.origin + '/../../scripts/cldr-data/main/' + name + '/' + files[prop], 'GET', false); 
            } 
                val = value; 
            }; 
            ajax.send(); 
            loader(JSON.parse(val)); 
        }; 
            loadCulture(prop); 
        } 
    } 

loadCultureFiles('it'); 
    }); 
</script> 

Regards, 
J Mohammed Farook 

hi this example work good but some cldr-data not working. can you help ?

say if i set the culture to  bn or bn-IN its not woking & getting error, see my code exmplate in the screen link bellow

https://www.screencast.com/t/F9gvBOq7ETY
zhttps://www.screencast.com/t/fCFOouvv

please help me i need to use localization for the country Bangladesh, so i think the option from the cldr-data is bd or bn-IN

Thnaks

RR Rajapandi Ravi Syncfusion Team July 28, 2020 12:33 PM UTC

Hi Phil, 

Thanks for the update 

We have analyzed your query and we could see that you like to use the ‘bn’ culture locale. To load the bn culture you have to define the ‘bn’ in the following places. Please refer the below code example and sample for more information. 

<script> 
        ej.base.setCulture('bn'); 
        ej.base.setCurrencyCode('BDT'); 
        daterangepicker = document.getElementById('daterangepicker').ej2_instances[0]; 
        grid = document.getElementById('Grid').ej2_instances[0]; 
        var L10n = ej.base.L10n; 
        L10n.load({ 
            'bn': { 
                    'EmptyDataSourceError': 'DataSource darf bei der Erstauslastung nicht leer sein, da Spalten aus der dataSource im AutoGenerate Spaltenraster', 
                    'GroupDropArea': 'Ziehen Sie einen Spaltenkopf hier, um die Gruppe ihre Spalte', 
                    'Item': 'Artikel', 
                    'Items': 'Artikel', 
                    'UnGroup': 'Klicken Sie hier, um die Gruppierung aufheben' 
                }, 
                'daterangepicker': { 
                    placeholder: 'Einen Bereich auswählen', 
                    startLabel: 'Wählen Sie Startdatum', 
                    endLabel: 'Wählen Sie Enddatum' 
                } 
            } 
        }); 
        loadCultureFiles('bn'); 

}); 

function loadCultureFiles(name) { 
        var files = ['ca-gregorian.json', 'currencies.json', 'numbers.json', 'timeZoneNames.json']; 
        if (name === 'bn') { 
        } 
            var val, ajax; 
            if (name === 'bn' && prop === files.length - 1) { 
                ajax = new ej.base.Ajax(location.origin + location.pathname + '/../../scripts/cldr-data/supplemental/' + files[prop], 'GET', false); 
            } else { 
                ajax = new ej.base.Ajax(location.origin + location.pathname + '/../../scripts/cldr-data/main/' + name + '/' + files[prop], 'GET', false); 
            } 
                val = value; 
            }; 
            ajax.send(); 
            loader(JSON.parse(val)); 
        }; 
            loadCulture(prop); 
        } 
    } 

</script>