We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Request for Help with Composite 3-Grid Control

I'm using Syncfusion grids in an application I'm building. I've created a control which uses three grids together to create a display that displays a table of information with additional information for the columns and rows. I've attached a demo of this control. To see the extra sections, click on the left/right arrow or the up/down arrow.

Overall, this "ExtraGrid" works very well. However, there are several bugs I haven't been able to fix. I wonder if someone would look at the code and tell me if there is an easy solution to any of these problems:

1) Auto-sizing doesn't work well (i.e. double-clicking on the edge of a column header). Usually, the columns are auto-sized too narrow. In the attached example, for instance, column YTT is auto-sized too narrow to fit "Lawrencium".
2) Auto-sizing doesn't consider the size of the drop-down symbol in combo-box cells.
3) The right-most column of the left section and the bottom-most row of the top section cannot be expanded. Attempts to expand them actually make them smaller.
4) Single cells cannot be highlighted. Ranges can be highlighted and copied, but single cells cannot.

ExtraGridDemo_2570962a.zip

3 Replies

AA Arulraj A Syncfusion Team May 27, 2011 07:27 AM UTC

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion Products.

1. We are unable to reproduce the mentioned issue in the provided sample. Please let us know which Essential Studio version you are using in your project.
Please try the following code which resizes the columns with respect to its text.

Me.ColWidths.ResizeToFit(GridRangeInfo.Table(), GridResizeToFitOptions.NoShrinkSize)

Your requirement has been achieved in the following sample. Please refer it and let us know if this helps
a rel='nofollow' href='http://www.syncfusion.com/uploads/redirect.aspx?&team=support&file=GC_Modified-573573706.zip'>http://www.syncfusion.com/uploads/redirect.aspx?&team=support&file=GC_Modified-573573706.zip

Please let us know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,
Arulraj.A

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 2, 2011 01:24 AM UTC

Arulraj,

Thank you for the detailed reply, and thank you for the sample code. By studying the sample code, I now know about the AllowDragOutside behavior, which lets me adjust the width of the rightmost columns. That is one problem fixed.

However, I still have a few other questions. Thanks to your code, I see how it is possible to highlight a single cell when you click on it with the mouse, but that seems to work only for the top and left sections. For the main section, whose cells are read-only, the behavior is still undesirable. The user can select, copy, and paste two or more cells, but cannot select a single cell alone. Can you explain why this happens, and how I might fix it?

Also, you mentioned that you weren't able to reproduce the column sizing problems I described. Perhaps the grid works differently with your screen settings. I've attached a screenshot to show how the grid appears on my screen. Notice that many of the words in the Desc column and all the words in the Source column are truncated, even though I've double-clicked on the edge of those two column headers. In your reply, you showed me how to auto-size columns programmatically. I appreciate that advice, but my problem isn't with programmatic auto-sizing; it is with user auto-sizing. My understanding is that when the user double-clicks on the edge of a column header, the column width is supposed to adjust to fit all of that column's contents. Am I mistaken about that?

Thanks again for the excellent support.

-TC

ColumnSizingProblem_726ff342.zip

AA Arulraj A Syncfusion Team June 6, 2011 08:38 AM UTC

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

You can change the color for selection using AlphaBlendSelectionColor property and assign the same color in QueryCellInfo for currentcell. The following code explains the same.

Me.AlphaBlendSelectionColor = System.Drawing.Color.DarkOrange

Here is the modified sample
http://www.syncfusion.com/uploads/redirect.aspx?&team=support&file=GC_Modified-566482731.zip

We are unable to reproduce the resize issue while double clicking the header, resize is done correctly when double clicked on column header. Please mention us the Syncfusion Essential Studio version you are using so that we shall check the same from our side.

Please let us know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,
Arulraj A

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon