We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Unicode Font

Hi,

i've created a PDF file that contains two strings: the differences between the strings are only the Unicode flag.

1 Arial Narrow 12 (Unicode=False)
2 Arial Narrow 12 (Unicode=True)

The result is that the strings are different. Why?

I've attached a ZIP file that contains the visual basic project and the pdf result sample.

Regards,
Stefano M

UnicodePDFTest_55a787eb.zip

9 Replies

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team October 29, 2010 10:14 AM UTC

Hi Stefano,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

You need to create TrueTypeFont from the file when the document is set with PdfA1B conformance level. Please try the modified sample in the link below.

F97085.zip

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Geetha

EE Enrica EANDI November 2, 2010 05:25 PM UTC

Hi Geetha,

thank you for your reply.

How can i create the font from the fontFile if I don't know where it is located but i know that it is installed on the pc? I can't distribute TTF file.

I have the font name ("Arial Narrow") and not the font file ("ARIALN.TTF").

Regards,
Stefano

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team November 8, 2010 11:51 AM UTC

Hi Stefano,

For PdfA1B conformance documents, TrueTypeFont must be created from the font files so that the font information can be embed in the PDF document. You can get the file from the Fonts (Control Panel) in the PC. There is no need to distribute the font file.

Regards,
Geetha

EE Enrica EANDI November 9, 2010 05:54 PM UTC

Hi Geetha M,

I use the font Arial Narrow in a console application and I distribute my application to thousands of users. The individuation of True Type font must be in c# code and I can't distribute the font.

Could you send me the same sample (F97085) without the embedded resource "ARIALN.TTF" assuming that I've installed the font in my pc (i want to use the installed font arial narrow)?

Regards,
Stefano

SP Selvakumar P Syncfusion Team November 15, 2010 12:22 PM UTC

Hi Stefano,

Currently in Essential PDF, we do not have provision for embedding the installed font in the computer.
In order to embed, it should be retrieved from a location as given in the earlier sample F97085.zip. However, we have added your request to our feature-requests list. We will let you know once this has been implemented.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Selvakumar.

EE Enrica EANDI January 21, 2011 07:52 AM UTC

Hi Selvakumar,

The sample that i sent to Syncfusion contains two text with the first as Unicode and the second not Unicode.

The solution for you is to load the font from file, but this mode load the font always as Unicode but my first question was "Why the texts on Pdf are different if i use Unicode font or not Unicode font?".

I've another question: Is it possible to incorporate only fonts as Unicode? Unicode is larger than not Unicode but if I create the font as not Unicode it is not incorporated to the pdf. Why? Can I incorporate the font only if it is Unicode? If no, how can I use not unicode font and incorporate it? And why the aspect of an Arial Narrow text is different if it is Unicode or not?

Thanks

Regards,
Stefano

SP Selvakumar P Syncfusion Team January 26, 2011 05:28 AM UTC

Hi Stefano,

Unicode is a 16-bit encoding system that is defined by the Unicode Consortium. Unicode provides a unique number for every character, regardless of which platform, program, or language is being used. A hexadecimal number is used to represent that character. So, the texts are different when we use a Unicode font than a non Unicode font.

The text size is different when we use Unicode font because it contains fonts for different languages and scripts. So, typographical compromises are required.

Arial Unicode MS font is a complete font as it contains all characters in Arial plus full fonts for Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Arabic and Hebrew, plus all of the different symbol characters and character ranges.

Regards,
Selvakumar.

EE Enrica EANDI February 8, 2011 12:57 PM UTC

Hi Selvakumar,

So can't I embed a non Unicode font, right? I can embed only Unicode font.

Thanks

Regards,
Stefano

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team February 9, 2011 08:43 AM UTC

Hi Stefano,

You can embed any font (except PdfStandardFont) using the font file in PDF.

Regards,
Geetha

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon