We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Problems installing Essential Tools 8.3.0.21

I have just migrated from Essential Tools 7.3.0.20 to 8.3.0.21 with some difficulty, and though I seem to have resolved the issue I am posting details in case they are useful to other users.

To start with I completely uninstalled Essential Tools 7.3.0.20 from my PC and checked the GAC etc. to ensure that everything had actually gone. Then I installed version 8.3.0.21, selecting the Windows Forms option only. (I don't recall an option allowing me to select which version of the .Net Framework to install for but I am currently using VS2005 with .Net 2.0.) The installation seemed to work OK.

Then I opened up a my Windows VB.NET Application and verified that the tool box components had been correctly reset to version 8.302.0.21. I then removed the old project references which were showing version 0.0.0.0.

I then added a new blank form and added a couple of Syncfusion controls to the form to force re-creation of the project references. The problem is that references that were created pointed to the 8.303.0.21 assemblies, and not the 8.302.0.21 assemblies as I would have expected. This also generated hundreds of project errors as you can imagine.

So I then manually removed these references and using the "Add Reference" context menu in the solution explorer, navigated to C:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\8.3.0.21\assemblies\2.0 and added the assemblies manually. Although I definitely selected all of the dll files from the 2.0 folder, when I examine the reference properties of the Syncfusion.Core.dll file they show the file path is in the 3.5 folder and that the version is 8.303.0.21! Despite removing and recreating this reference a number of times it continues to show the version as 8.303.0.21 and the location as the 3.5 folder. The other six assemblies that I referenced show the expected 2.0 path and version of 8.302.0.21.

The good news is that the hundreds of project errors that occurred with 8.303.0.21 disappeared as soon as I replaced with the references to 8.302.0.21 even though the Syncfusion.Core file is showing 8.303.0.21.

The installer also added versions 8.302.0.21 AND 8.303.0.21 of the assemblies into the GAC, which I found unusual as upto version 7.3.0.20 only one version (2.0) had been installed. I uninstalled the 8.303.0.21 version.

I will be using the dlls in the precompiledassemblies folder, so until I hear to the contrary, I will assume these files are OK to release as part of a setup program.

Regards,
Steve G

5 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 21, 2010 05:41 PM UTC

Just a quick update - I can confirm that the project references behave themselves if I start with a new/completely blank project.

VK Vijayabharathi K Syncfusion Team July 22, 2010 01:29 PM UTC

Hi Steve,

Thank you for sharing us your case so that this will be helpful for the others who are in need of it.

Thank you for your participation in Syncfusion Community Forum.

Regards,
Vijayabharathi K

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 23, 2010 02:53 PM UTC

Another quick update.

I decided to remove all project references to the new version and add them back in again. So I removed the 8.303.0.21 reference for the Syncfusion.Core assembly and others, closed the project and reloaded only to find that the reference to the Syncfusion.Core assembly was still there (the others had gone as expected). So I removed a second time and reloaded and this time it had definitely gone. Now manually adding all of the correct references back in again, the project seems to compile and run OK. Looks like somehow I managed to get the same reference to version 8.303.0.21 Syncfusion.Core in twice.

VK Vijayabharathi K Syncfusion Team July 26, 2010 01:49 PM UTC

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your update.

I would also like to let you know that in addition to our Community Forums, we have other customized support avenues like our Direct Trac Developer Support System

http://www.syncfusion.com/support/directtrac

and we hope you will take advantage of this system as well.

Regards,
Vijayabharathi k

S. S.Anandharaman Syncfusion Team July 27, 2010 11:42 AM UTC

Hi Steve,

We regret for the inconvenience caused.

Could you please follow the below steps to resolve the reported assembly referencing problem?

1. Open the Syncfusion Dashboard.

2. Run MultiTarget manager utility from Dashboard under the Assembly management category.

3. Select .NET Framework targeting version "2.0" in the MultiTarget manager.

4. Click "Perform Action" and restart Visual Studio.

This will resolve your reported assembly reference problem. Please let me know if you have any concerns.

Note: Please ignore our previous update.

Regards,
AnandharamanS

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon