We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Binding Individual Cells

I'm trying to create a grid in which cells are individually bound to data sources. I have a couple of questions:

1. How do you do this with Syncfusion grids? I'm looking at the example called GDBGcombos from the Sample Browser. It supposedly creates a grid with columns bound to different tables. However, it either doesn't work or I'm blind because I just don't see it happening.

2. Does binding individual cells require GridDataBoundGrid? And if so, will I have performance problems with that grid? My application was loading the grid very slowly until I started using a class called "PerformanceGrid" (which I believe was written by Syncfusion to improve the performance of GridControl). If I have to switch from PerformanceGrid to GridDataBoundGrid, will the loading become slow again?

-TC

4 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 8, 2010 07:58 PM UTC

I still need help, but since I haven't received a response, I figured it might help to elaborate on my question.

I have a pivot/crosstab situation, where data stored 1-dimensionally in a table needs to be displayed 2-dimensionally in a grid. I also have another grid which is transposed. I've attached a screenshot which shows the two grids. (They work together.) I'm using the GridControl class and I have everything working except the data binding.

For data binding, I believe I need multiple bindings per grid. I know Syncfusion grids have some pivot features, but they seem to be geared toward OLAP and simulating Excel, and aren't appropriate for my application. To bind the pivot grid, therefore, I expect the easiest way will be to create a binding context for each column (or possibly for each cell). For the transposed grid, I know from the Syncfusion knowledge base that Syncfusion grids cannot be transposed easily, but I believe I can achieve the required result by binding each cell individually.

Thus, I've concluded that I need multiple bindings per grid. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do it. I've looked at several examples from the sample browser, but they all seem to bind only one table to each grid. Even so, I keep finding comments in the Syncfusion marketing literature which says the grids support the binding of individual cells and multiple unrelated tables. Can anyone provide me with an example which demonstrates these features?

-TC

Binding Question Illustration_654bd354.zip

CI Christopher Issac Sunder K Syncfusion Team May 21, 2010 09:22 AM UTC

Hi TC,

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion Products.

We regret for the inconvenience caused.

We have segregated your questions into following queries. Please follow it and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Query 1:
In the GridDataBoundGrid combo columns sample, foreign key is used to relate one table to another and the four grids are mingled with each other through this foreign key reference.
The 2nd and 3rd Grid carries the CustomerID/Name and EmployeeID/Name respectively. The changes in these table will affect the other 2 grids which holds the fields of the 2nd and 3rd Grid as foreign keys. Similarly the changes in the 4th and 1st will affect each other and they have the “OrderID” as their foreign key. And the combo cells in the Order Grid(1st one) are bind with data source individually.

Query 2: (Binding individual cells & GDBG Performance)
GridDataBoundGrid offers very high performance measures and can be customizable up to cell level and also used to display flat records of data. So if you have switched to GridDataBoundGrid, there will be no performance loss while loading the Grid.

Query 3:
Regarding binding of individual cells, a sample illustrating this technique is shipped in our dashboard which uses a customized user control called “PivotGridControl”.

The sample can be accessed through the following path:

{installed drive}:\{User type}\{User}\AppData\Local\Syncfusion\EssentialStudio\{version}\Windows\Grid.Windows\Samples\2.0\Product Showcase\Pivot Grid Demo

Let me know if you have any further concerns regarding this.

Regards,
Christopher K.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 21, 2010 05:44 PM UTC

Problem solved: I went to Syncfusion tech support, and they suggested I use a virtual grid. That turned out to be a good solution. It isn't what I would normally think of as binding, but it achieves the same effect and works well.

Before I contacted tech support, I never considered virtual grids as a binding solution. In all of the documentation I found and in the forum posts I saw, virtual grids are never discussed that way. If anyone from the company is reading this, I suggest you add a knowledge base page which discusses the different ways to bind Syncfusion grids, and include a section on virtual grids.

-TC

CI Christopher Issac Sunder K Syncfusion Team June 22, 2010 02:05 PM UTC

Hi TC,

Thanks for your update.

Regarding Virtual grid, we will add section discussing the binding ability in our UG documentation as you requested.

Thank you for using Syncfusion Products.

Regards,
Christopher K.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon