We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Implementing File Explorer

Spent last week implementing a file explorer with the TreeViewAdv.

This turned out to be hard. I wanted to have windows style navigation, so started with SHGetDesktopFolder(). Tree turned out to be extremely slow as a result of trying to enumerate unconnected network connections etc.

So had to add multi-threaded access to folder contents.

Found out the hard way that WPF collections can only be updated on the UI thread, so had to figure out how to enumerate a folder on a secondary thread and dispatch update notification to the UI thread.

Now the tree does not scroll properly. Multi-select events do not work right...etc.

This should be an example! If you are going to use a tree it might very well be a file tree!

I implemented in 7.3. I think some of my issues are solved in 7.4...will be trying that today.

1 Reply

VM Venugopal M Syncfusion Team December 8, 2009 12:35 PM UTC

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion products. We had some scrollbar related issues in 7.3.0.20 version and we have fixed all this virtualization related issues in our latest release 7.4.0.20. Apart from this, we have implemented more feature and improved performance significantly in 7.4.0.20.

Please have a look into our windows explorer sample which is available in our dashboard under Multicolumn Tree View\Multicolumn-Windows Explorer Demo section. This sample loads the file and directory lists on onDemand. I hope this sample will give you more idea for your requirement.

If you face any issue or complexity on this, please post us your queries with detailed requirements and sample to reproduce the issue If it’s possible. This will help us to assist you very quickly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Venugopal.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon