We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Modifying text programmatically without changing the cursor position and scroll offset

Hello,

Is there is way to change the text displayed by the editor (using methods like InsertText or DeleteText) without changing the cursor position and the scroll offset of the editor?

Regards,

Alain

6 Replies

NR Nandakumar R Syncfusion Team September 18, 2009 10:41 AM UTC

Hi Alian,

Please refer to the below forum thread. Here is a sample that shows how you can insert or remove text.

http://www.syncfusion.com/support/forums/edit-windows/89847/test-currentline-for-text-and-relocate-to-end-of-line

Please try this sample and let me know if you have more questions. Posting a simple sample or a screen shot of what you are expecting will be fine for us to easily understand your requirements and update you for that.

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion Essential Studio.

Regards,
Nanda

AF Alain Frisch September 18, 2009 11:31 AM UTC

Thanks for your answer. As my initial message says, I'm aware of how to insert or delete text programmatically. However, the DeleteText and InsertText functions also change the cursor position and the scroll offset. For instance, InsertText puts the cursor at the end of the inserted text. I'd like to know if there is a way to insert or delete text without changing the cursor position.

Regards,

Alain

NR Nandakumar R Syncfusion Team September 22, 2009 04:16 AM UTC

Hi Alain,

Thanks for the update. Currently there is no option to keep the current cursor position in the same place when inserting the text. But, you can achieve the same by the following way.

[C#]
private void btnCurPosition_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
Point cursorPostn = this.editControl1.CurrentPosition;
this.editControl1.FindText("won");
this.editControl1.CurrentPosition = this.editControl1.Selection.Start.VirtualPoint;
this.editControl1.InsertText(this.editControl1.CurrentLine, this.editControl1.CurrentColumn - 1, @"CHA");
this.editControl1.SelectionCancel();
//Try commenting and uncommenting this to note the difference.
this.editControl1.CurrentPosition = cursorPostn;
this.editControl1.Focus();
}

Please try the sample below on the same and let me know if this helps.
http://www.syncfusion.com/uploads/redirect.aspx?file=Edit_Sample_f94b5e0a.zip&team=support

Regards,
Nanda

NR Nandakumar R Syncfusion Team September 22, 2009 04:45 AM UTC

Hi,

I regret for the posting the wrong link. Please refer to the updated link below.

http://www.syncfusion.com/uploads/redirect.aspx?file=Edit_Sample_f94b5e0a.zip&team=support

Thanks,
Nanda

AF Alain Frisch October 1, 2009 01:39 PM UTC

Thanks.

We already do something similar. In addition to saving and restoring the cursor location, we also do the same for the current scroll offset. However, this is not very satisfying and sometimes the restored scroll position is not exactly the same as before the operation. All in all, this is not very satisfying (we can see the text buffer scrolling). We'd prefer it if modifying the text programmatically with changing the cursor and scroll were a basic feature of the editor widget.

Regards,

Alain

NR Nandakumar R Syncfusion Team October 5, 2009 05:08 AM UTC

Hi Alain,

I regret for the inconvenience caused. There are some critical issues existing with the scrolling and we are clearing each of them for the Essential Studio vol.4 refresh release. The scrolling feature will be updated with this release and we are expecting this release to be available by the middle of December 2009.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Nanda

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon