We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Text not showing on pdf?

The problem I have is I am opening an existing pdf document, getting the 1st page, and writing some text on it using page.drawstring. Then I save the document. When I open the document in adobe reader, I don't see any text.

When I pick the "Select Text" tool, and choose "Select All", and then choose copy/paste into notepad, I see all my written text.

The only thing I can guess is that the text is written behind everything, is that possible? And how would I bring the text to the front if that's the case? I've tried using all sorts of coordinates to make sure that the text is written on the page, everything from (1,1) to (1100,1100).

I have done this numerous times in the past with no problems, but using a different pdf document. I am using the same code that I've used for the other 20 documents that I have done this with. Any ideas?

4 Replies

JS Jason Smith September 11, 2009 05:24 PM UTC

How are you drawing the text. This type of code is working for me:

PdfLoadedDocument doc = new PdfLoadedDocument(@"C:\test.pdf");
PdfPageBase page = doc.Pages[0];
PdfGraphics graphics = page.Graphics;
PdfTextElement text = new PdfTextElement();

text.Font = new PdfStandardFont(PdfFontFamily.Helvetica, 16, PdfFontStyle.Bold);
text.Text = "Hello World!";
text.Draw(graphics, 100.0f, 100.0f);

doc.Save(@"C:\testresult.pdf");

TE Thiruvenkadam E Syncfusion Team September 15, 2009 11:40 AM UTC

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

Draw text on exiting pdf document

We can able to draw a text on a existing pdf document by using the "public void DrawString(string s, PdfFont font, PdfBrush brush, RectangleF layoutRectangle, PdfStringFormat format)" method.

Could you please find the sample from the below location and let me know if this helps.

http://files.syncfusion.com/support/Pdf.Windows/F89879/Text.zip

Please have a look at the above sample and if still the issue exists,

Could you please try to reproducing it in the above sample or send us few documents so that we could sort out the cause of the issue and provide you a solution?

Please let us know if you need any further information.

Regards,
Thiru

JM Jose Mari February 28, 2022 01:13 PM UTC

Example cannot be download, is it still avaiable?

GK Gowthamraj Kumar Syncfusion Team March 1, 2022 01:24 PM UTC

Hi Jose, 

We have created and attached the sample for drawing a text in existing PDF document. Please find the sample from below link,  

Please refer to the below link for more information, 
KB: https://www.syncfusion.com/kb/9789/how-to-draw-multiline-text-in-pdf-using-c-and-vb-net

Please let us know if you have any further assistance about this. 

Regards, 
Gowthamraj K 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon