We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Custom Control: OnMouseXXX and OnKeyXXX overrides not called

Hiya, I am writing a custom control that will represent a 3D view and allow interaction with the objects in the scene, thus needs to receive mouse and keyboard events. I derived it from System::Windows::Forms::Control, created protected overrides for OnMouseMove, OnMouseDown, OnMouseUp, OnMouseEnter, OnMouseLeave, OnClick, OnKeyDown and OnKeyUp. Now when I embed my control in a form and start the application, having breakpoints inside each of the mentioned overrides, I never reach them. It seems as if the control doesn't get any mouse or keyboard events. I've tried this->SetStyle(Selectable, true) in the control's constructor, no improvement. I've tried to derive from UserControl instead, same (=no) result. So I'm beginning to wonder whether a) I'm deriving from the right class b) there is some property I need to set or some method I need to call or some other method I need to override to achieve that my control gets mouse/keyboard events. Another question has to do with update: the custom 3D-engine that is used by the control uses Direct 3D. It's supposed to show not only a static scene, but animation. To achieve this, I've created a thread in my control that continously calls the engines's Update() method (which tells the engine draw it's current state). So, when the control is created and it's window handle is valid, I start the engine and the thread; the thread keeps telling the engine to paint over the control's window. Thus, I've got no OnPaint() in my control as it would only call engine->Update() which is being called continously by the thread, anyway. I wonder whether this is the right way to do things, it kinda seems ugly to me. Any comments on that? Anyway, the problem of my OnMouseXXX() and OnKeyXXX() overriden methods not being called bothers me much more as I can come up with no solution, which makes me thing I'm doing something completely wrong here or I leave out something important. Thanks for any suggestions, max hajek www.wootsoft.com known universe/terra/europe/austria/vienna

1 Reply

PS Prakash S Syncfusion Team August 27, 2002 08:31 PM UTC

Max, Looks like there is some code in your class that is interferring with the default Control class's mouse message processing; I am assuming this because I just checked and the OnMouseDown() override in a default wizard generated UserControl(or Control) class always seems to get called. Are you, by any chance, performing Win32 subclassing or intercepting the WndProc method in your class? Prakash

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon