We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Loading .xls,.xlsx or .csv on client side in SL

Hi,

is it possible to load xls, xlsx or csv on client side in SL? if yes, is there any working sample for that?

Thanks,
VS

9 Replies

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team June 5, 2009 11:03 AM UTC

Hi VS,

Currently it is not possible to run XlsIO in client side in Silverlight. We have logged a feaure request on this regard and will get back to you once it is implemented.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Geetha

TT Tigger Tag May 18, 2010 05:56 PM UTC

Any update on how to open on .xls file that is on the server file system?

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team May 19, 2010 07:31 AM UTC

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

You can the file placed on the server as Stream. Please refer to the sample in the link below and let me know if you have any questions.

http://help.syncfusion.com/samples/XlsIO.Silverlight/F82216/F82216.zip

Regards,
Geetha

TT Tigger Tag May 19, 2010 07:17 PM UTC

Thank you for the sample on how to read the xls file. After I read the file into IWorkbook object, how do I display the data in the grid, so that it looks just like the data in excel file.

Thanks,

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team May 20, 2010 05:09 AM UTC

Hi,

Thank you for the details.

Please refer to the sample in the link below that uses Syncfusion Essential Grid Silverlight to display the sheet values.

http://help.syncfusion.com/samples/XlsIO.Silverlight/F82216/F82216_Grid.zip

Regards,
Geetha

TT Tigger Tag May 28, 2010 02:02 PM UTC

Hi Geetha,
Thanks for the sample on how to read xls file. When I use your sample FindAndExtract.xls file, it opens fine and reads the data, but its not getting the format of the cells (bold font, cell colors..). I see that Range class object has these settings, but I couldn't understand how to pass those format settings to the grid cells.

What I am trying to do is to import an excel file that has all the excel formatting with formulas and display it in the silverlight application. When user enters the data in the cells, it should calculate and update the values of the cells with formulas. I will appreciate if you can send me a sample to do the above.

When I use my own excel file, it throws the following exception with stack trace:

at Syncfusion.CompoundFile.XlsIO.Net.DocumentPropertyCollection.ReadHeader(Stream stream)
at Syncfusion.CompoundFile.XlsIO.Net.DocumentPropertyCollection..ctor(Stream stream)
at Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.WorkbookImpl.ReadDocumentPropertiesManaged(ICompoundStorage storage)
at Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.WorkbookImpl.ReadDocumentProperties(ICompoundStorage storage)
at Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.WorkbookImpl.ParseStgStream(ICompoundStorage storage, ExcelParseOptions options, String password)
at Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.WorkbookImpl.ParseStream(Stream stream, String password, ExcelVersion version, ExcelParseOptions options)
at Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.WorkbookImpl..ctor(IApplication application, Object parent, Stream stream, ExcelParseOptions options, ExcelVersion version)
at Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.WorkbookImpl..ctor(IApplication application, Object parent, Stream stream, ExcelVersion version)
at Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.ApplicationImpl.CreateWorkbook(Object parent, Stream stream, ExcelVersion version)
at Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.Collections.WorkbooksCollection.Open(Stream stream, ExcelVersion version)
at Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.Collections.WorkbooksCollection.Open(Stream stream)
at Syncfusion.Grid.Silverlight.Samples.GridControl_ExcelExport_Demo.MainPage.ExcelImport()

Thank you for all the help.

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team May 31, 2010 05:44 AM UTC

Hi,

Thank you for the details.

Could you please create a direct-trac incident on this regard so that we could check if the problem is with XlsIO or Grid and get back to you accordingly? Also, please send us your input document which would help us to investigate the problem.

Regards,
Geetha

TT Tigger Tag June 2, 2010 05:41 PM UTC

Hi Geetha,
I have submitted direct trac for the exception I was getting for my excel file. Meanwhile can you send me a sample to import an excel file that has all the excel formatting with formulas and display it as it is seen in excel using silverlight. The important thing for me is to retain the excel formating and to retain the excel formula in the cells after it is displayed in the silverlight application.

Thank you.

GK Ganesan K Syncfusion Team June 3, 2010 06:00 PM UTC

Hi ,

Please find the sample under the following location.

http://www.syncfusion.com/uploads/redirect.aspx?&team=support&file=SilverlightApplication11358444746.zip

Let us know if you need any more details.

Thanks
Ganesan

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon