We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Two rows in Caption Summary

We used GridColumnSpanDescriptor to make each record span across 2 rows.

However, a problem occurred when we tried to group our records and display CaptionSummaryCells. The caption summary cells only come in 1 row. Logically, if each record spans 2 rows, the caption summary cells should rightfully span 2 rows as well.

We tried to simulate the effect of having 2 rows by displaying 2 lines in each caption summary cell, but this doesn't allow us to alternate the row colours. Our users would like the bottom summary caption row to use a different background colour.

We've contacted Direct-Trac on this. While we appreciate their help, the suggested workaround using summary rows isn't what our users prefer. The tree structure just isn't "neat enough". Our users like the neat tree structure offered by the caption summary cells.

Is there any way we can achieve the exact visual equivalent of 2 rows of CaptionSummaryCells that allows for alternate colouring?

Thanks very much in advance.

3 Replies

LS Lingaraj S Syncfusion Team May 27, 2009 10:30 AM UTC

Hi daniel,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion product.

Their is no support avilable to achive the caption summary rows in GridGroupingControl. It can be achived through summary rows.

Please refer sample in below location.
http://files.syncfusion.com/support/samples/Grid.Windows/Forums/ColumnSets.zip

This sample demonstarte how to perform multiple summary rows GridGroupingControl, also the summary row of child group can be viewed without the need to expand the child group.

Let me know if you have any quereis.

Regards,
Lingaraj S.

DC Daniel Chong May 29, 2009 03:30 AM UTC

It seems I could start with the "Virtual Tree Grid Demo" and customize a virtual grid to achieve what I want (see original post).

My idea is (1) to build a custom "tree cell" for the left most column, which will render the indentation and handle mouse actions; (2) each tree cell will span 2 rows, thus matching 2 cells in each of the subsequent columns; (3) the summary values for each parent tree node will be calculated outside of the grid.

Please let me know if this is ok, or is it a disastrous path to follow, as I'm very new to all this.

Appreciate your comments. Thanks.

LS Lingaraj S Syncfusion Team June 8, 2009 08:27 PM UTC

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the update.

1. The GridGroupingControl default property to expand Group Records in GroupCaptionCell. If you choose the GridControl handle the mouse event to expand and span the the Record Rows manually for each records.

2. The Spanning Cell are created easily through the GridGroupingControl. It Can be achieved though the column sets.

3. The Summary also easily calculated automatically in SummaryDescriptors in GridGroupingControl.

Please refer the modified sample in below link:
http://files.syncfusion.com/support/samples/Grid.Windows/Forums/ColumnSets2.zip

This sample created with you requirement. The Records are spanned with to two rows. The SummaryRow displayed always with Grouping Caption. The Top and Bottom summary color used with different colors in GridGroupingControl.

Let me know if you have any queries.

Regards,
Lingaraj S.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon