We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Looking for Ideas on how to display multiple loosly associated DataTables

I'm looking for any suggestions on how to display multiple DataTables from a single DataSet. The application allows the user to create a query that extracts data from multiple source DBMS throughout the world. Each source may have different columns but will contain roughly the same kind of data.

Clearly one way to present the data is in a tabbed paged with one grid per page, but my client is concerned that she won't be able to see all the data at one time. A second approach is to "pop-up" multiple windows, each with its own grid, but then the screen becomes cluttered especially if she wants to research multiple queries at the same time.

A "hierarchical" view with the parent being a summary statement (i.e. Source, Record Count, Message) and the child is a grid displaying the DataTable results from that source. But most (if not all) hierarchical grids assume each child is the same format.

To add more complexity to the problem the aplication allows new sources bringing new child grid with its own columns to be dynamically created (and included in the resulting DataSet) so the display cannot reasonably use static templates. That is the number child grids and the format of each child grid varies with each query.

1 Reply

RS Rajarajeswari S Syncfusion Team December 8, 2008 10:40 AM UTC

Hi MithralSmith,

Thanks for using Syncfusion products.

When you are binding Grid with DataSet which has related tables, the Grid will automatically create relationship and will be rendered as an hierarchical Grid.

If we are binding two or more DataSource to the single Grid, it will affect the performance of the Grid. It is better you can have multiple Grid on the same page inside UpdatePanels. Here we can have partial page updates which will improve the performace of the Grid.

Could you please let us know if this helps you out.

Regards,
Raji

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon