We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Filtering Hierarchical Grid

I'm trying to add a filterbar to hierarchical grid. I have a hirarchy of three levels. It works well when I remove the hierarchy completely.
However with hierarchy when doing WireGrid I'm getting : "Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.\rParameter name: rowIndex" - System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
Please help!

7 Replies

NA Nisha Arockiya A Syncfusion Team December 1, 2008 12:53 PM UTC

Hi Leah,

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion Products.

I am afraid that I couldnt see any issues in the filterbar.

The only limitations on the GridFilterBar are:
1) Its grid must have a DataTable as its datasource (will not work with a DataView datasource)
2) It requires special handling to manage foreign key combo columns (requires a derived GridFilterBar)
3) If the Type (as in System.Type) of your column entries are numerical, some of the custom operators do not apply.
4) There is also a problem with date formats trying to match up with the raw values obtained from the datasource.

So, as long as you stay away from these problem areas, I think the default Filterbar will work ok. (This essentially means that the columns you want to filter can be treated as text).

Can you send us a sample reproducing the issue? Or you can edit the below sample and reproduce the issue in it and send us, so that we will work on it here for you.

FilterBar.zip

Regards,
Nisha

SL Schneider Leah December 3, 2008 08:28 AM UTC

Hi Nisha,
Thank you for your answer. I'm actually a customer, but since you were so kind to respond I will continue to use this forum.
I enhanced your exampole adding another table to dataset and thus creating a hierarchy.
An here you can see that Filter gives an error immediately.
The second question I have: how can I make column header one line.

Thanks a lot, Leah

>Hi Leah,

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion Products.

I am afraid that I couldnt see any issues in the filterbar.

The only limitations on the GridFilterBar are:
1) Its grid must have a DataTable as its datasource (will not work with a DataView datasource)
2) It requires special handling to manage foreign key combo columns (requires a derived GridFilterBar)
3) If the Type (as in System.Type) of your column entries are numerical, some of the custom operators do not apply.
4) There is also a problem with date formats trying to match up with the raw values obtained from the datasource.

So, as long as you stay away from these problem areas, I think the default Filterbar will work ok. (This essentially means that the columns you want to filter can be treated as text).

Can you send us a sample reproducing the issue? Or you can edit the below sample and reproduce the issue in it and send us, so that we will work on it here for you.

FilterBar.zip

Regards,
Nisha

Copy of FilterBar_457dfe95.zip

NA Nisha Arockiya A Syncfusion Team December 4, 2008 12:39 PM UTC

Hi Leah,

Thanks for the Updates.

I am afraid that I could not able to reproduce the above stated issue in the sample I have sent you in previous response.Could you please reproduce that issue in the sample or send me your own sample so that it will be very helpful for us to direct you to the exact solution on time.

We appreciate your patience.

Rehards,
Nisha

SL Schneider Leah December 4, 2008 02:17 PM UTC

It was attached with the name Copy of FilterBar_457dfe95.zip

JJ Jisha Joy Syncfusion Team December 8, 2008 11:33 AM UTC

Hi ,

I was able to see the issue. The issue is due to you are adding and rearranging the columns using LayoutColumns. GridFilterBar has many limitations. I highly recommend you to use GridGroupingControl which has inbuilt support for filtering, grouping, summary, expression columns etc.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Jisha

SL Schneider Leah December 8, 2008 12:46 PM UTC

Hi,
Thanks for your response. My main question is: will I be able to view the data as I view it now when using GridGrouping - meaning as a parent-child in the same grid without a child grids being created for me. I would greatly appreciate an example with GridGrouping and related tables since I haven't found any similar in the samples provided. - they all showed complicated multiple grids.
Thanks a lot!

JJ Jisha Joy Syncfusion Team December 9, 2008 11:50 AM UTC

Hi,

Please refer the samples under this category in our Sample browser.

..\\My Documents\Syncfusion\EssentialStudio\6.3.0.30\Windows\Grid.Grouping.Windows\Samples\2.0\RelationsAndHierarchy

Regards,
Jisha

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon