We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Opening a downloaded Spreadsheet

Hi,
I am downloading a excel spreadsheet from a website and then i tried to open it using

ExcelEngine excelEngine = new ExcelEngine();

IApplication application = excelEngine.Excel;

IWorkbook workbook = application.Workbooks.Open(@"C:\test.xls");

However the last line throws an error saying CompoundFileException was unhandled Wrong Signature.

I copy pasted the contents of the original xls file (off the web) into another xls file and the code worked fine.

Please advise.

7 Replies

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team November 6, 2008 04:39 AM UTC

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for the details.

Could you please send us the Excel file that does not open? It would help us to recreate and analyze the problem.

Please let me know if you have any difficulties.

Regards,
Geetha

AD Aditya November 6, 2008 06:35 PM UTC

Hi Geetha,
You can download the file from:
https://www.theice.com/marketdata/nybotreports/getOptionsDailyVolumeOIReportResultsExcel.do?commodityChoice=ALL+COMMODITIES&format=excel

>Hi Aditya,

Thank you for the details.

Could you please send us the Excel file that does not open? It would help us to recreate and analyze the problem.

Please let me know if you have any difficulties.

Regards,
Geetha

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team November 7, 2008 11:11 AM UTC

Hi Aditya,

I am not able to download the Excel file from the above link. Could you please attach it here?

Regards,
Geetha

AD Aditya November 7, 2008 08:51 PM UTC

Attached.

>Hi Aditya,

I am not able to download the Excel file from the above link. Could you please attach it here?

Regards,
Geetha

test_eca69e85.zip

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team November 10, 2008 04:07 AM UTC

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for the attachment.

I was able to see the issue with your spreadsheet. But when I analyzed the file, it appears to be a htm file renamed with .xls extension. Essential XlsIO does not provide support to open such files. After I re saved the file as .xls using MS Excel I was able to open it using Essential XlsIO.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Geetha

AD Aditya November 10, 2008 03:09 PM UTC

Our requirment is to open and process this file on a server which does not have MS Excel installed. Let me know if you think this can be done with any of your products.

>Hi Aditya,

Thank you for the attachment.

I was able to see the issue with your spreadsheet. But when I analyzed the file, it appears to be a htm file renamed with .xls extension. Essential XlsIO does not provide support to open such files. After I re saved the file as .xls using MS Excel I was able to open it using Essential XlsIO.

Regards,
Geetha

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team November 11, 2008 07:25 AM UTC

Hi Aditya,

Essential XlsIO does not provide support to open a htm file. As a workaround if you can convert it to any form which is supported by XlsIO, that is as an .csv, .xml, .txt (Tab demilited), then you may open it using XlsIO and process it.

Regards,
Geetha

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon