We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Questions about Mail merge capabilites

Hello,

I am a lead developer looking for a mail merge product to implement into my application. I just have some questions regarding the mail merge functionality.

1. I assume I would just add the table fields onto the word document, and then the query will fill the definitions, correct?

2. If the document is saved into a database, can you save changes to the word document and is it possible to save the changes directly to file in the database, or does it have to be saved on your desktop?

5 Replies

DW DUPTyson Ware July 16, 2008 03:09 PM UTC

Hello,

I'm trying to answer my own question, but I'm looking forward to your response. I assume if you can save document changes into a stream, I would be able to save the changes back to the database, correct?

>Hello,

I am a lead developer looking for a mail merge product to implement into my application. I just have some questions regarding the mail merge functionality.

1. I assume I would just add the table fields onto the word document, and then the query will fill the definitions, correct?

2. If the document is saved into a database, can you save changes to the word document and is it possible to save the changes directly to file in the database, or does it have to be saved on your desktop?

DW DUPTyson Ware July 16, 2008 03:28 PM UTC

Just adding additional questions to the previous ones. Thanks.

1. can we indeed save the post-merge changes back and attach the modified document to the file upon save?
2. can we edit/redit an already merged, edited, saved document?
3. How do we define the merge templates - front-end using word mailmerge tools or within code?
4. How do we make the merge definitions available within the application?
5. can we make certain paragraphs/sections within a merge template inaccessible/uneditable to the end user?

BP Bhuvaneswari P Syncfusion Team July 28, 2008 11:52 AM UTC

Hi Tyson,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

1. can we indeed save the post-merge changes back and attach the modified document to the file upon save?
We can open the document from Database and store the save changes back to the database by using the streams.

Please refer the below simple sample to save the document from to Database:

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/DocIO.Windows/F75219_1/main.htm

2. can we edit/redit an already merged, edited, saved document?
I am not sure whether you are asking about the document content merge or mail merge feature. However, if you are looking for mail merge then the Mail merge is the process of replacing the merge fields with data and it can be done only once with the same document.

Or if you are looking for the document content merge, this can be done by either using the ImportContent() method or we achieve this by using the cloning concept.

Please refer the below sample browser sample for cloning and merging.
\\Syncfusion\EssentialStudio\X.X.X.X\Windows\DocIO.Windows\Samples\2.0\MailMerge

if this not your requirement then can please provide more details about this? So that I can provide you an exact details.

3. How do we define the merge templates - front-end using word mailmerge tools or within code?
We can create mail merge template either using MS word or using DocIO library.

Please refer the below article to know about the Mail merge.
http://www.syncfusion.com/products/docio/windows/Articles/Mail_Merge.aspx

1). Steps to create Mail merge fields in MS word:
1. Open any word document
2. Goto to Insert menu [Insert-->Field]
3. Select the Mail Merge category, now enter the Fieldname like FirstName ..
4. For inserting next field, Goto step 2

4. How do we make the merge definitions available within the application?
You can insert merge field within the application by using DocIO library. Please refer the below code snippet to do so:

document.LastParagraph.AppendField("FirstName", FieldType.FieldMergeField);

Please refer the below sample from the sample Browser for Mail Merge support
\\Syncfusion\EssentialStudio\x.x.x.x\Windows\DocIO.Windows\Samples\2.0\Mailmerge

5. can we make certain paragraphs/sections within a merge template inaccessible/uneditable to the end user?
No, it is not possible to protect the certain paragraphs/sections inaccessible/uneditable. We can only make whole the document inaccessible by setting the document protection type.

Please refer the below browser sample:
\\Syncfusion\EssentialStudio\X.X.X.X\Windows\DocIO.Windows\Samples\2.0\Document Settings\SecuritySettings\CS

Here is the Online documentation link to get more information about DocIO features and usability:

http://www2.syncfusion.com/ug_61/docio/default.html

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Bhuvana

TW Tyson Ware July 29, 2008 02:38 PM UTC

Thanks for the reply,

I seen you gave me a link to a screenshot of a possible way to save changes to a doc back to a database.

Here is my question. I working with ASP.NET not window forms, just to clarify things. Is it at all possible to save changes to a document without saving the document to the computer. Is there a way for a user to open the document within the browser, (which is possible I know), but after they make changes to the document and somehow hit save and it automatically saves changes to a database rather than saving document to PC, then uploading?

BP Bhuvaneswari P Syncfusion Team July 30, 2008 04:17 AM UTC

Hi Tyson,

Thanks for update.

Currently we don't have support for editor. Essential DocIO is capable of reading, editing and writing Word documents programmatically. But it is not possible to save the document in the Database after opened and edited from the browser. We can just open the document in the browser using the below code snippet:

[C#]

document.Save("Sample.doc", FormatType.Doc, Response, HttpContentDisposition.InBrowser);

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Bhuvana

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon