We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Opening existing Documents

Ok i'm confused, on your FAQ section it states both:

Does Essential PDF have support for reading existing PDF documents?

Yes. Essential PDF has support for PDF merging, stamping, appending, form filling, splitting, rotating and scaling.

and then just by chance I clicked the filter for 5.2 and it then says

No. Currently new version of PDF can not read an existing document and manipulate the same.

OK so can you clarify the situation, and possibly update the FAQ section.

If you are unable to open existing PDFs (which is what I need to do to encrypt them and possibly digital sign as well) then i'm afraid you have lost yourself a customer, as I saw this was one of the most versitle componets on the market.

7 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 1, 2007 08:41 AM UTC

Hi Ric,

The version 5.2 of Essential PDF is a complete rewrite, so the APIs are not compatible with the previous version of Essential PDF.

Currently new version of PDF can not read an existing PDF document.

For applications that use all previous versions of Essential PDF i.e., if you want to open existing PDF document, please refer Syncfusion.Pdf.Legacy.Base.dll which is included with v5.2 for maintaining compatibility and your application should work without any problem.

We recommend using new library for any new development work since it will be actively supported and enhanced. We regret for the inconvenience caused.

Please refer the release notes for more info.
http://www2.syncfusion.com/installs/v5.2.0.25/release_notes/ReleaseNotes.htm

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

Regards,
Jaya

CD Chad Dunham October 30, 2007 04:51 PM UTC

When will the ability to user existing PDF documents be added in? It is the plan to add this functionality, correct??

Thanks

Chad

>Hi Ric,

The version 5.2 of Essential PDF is a complete rewrite, so the APIs are not compatible with the previous version of Essential PDF.

Currently new version of PDF can not read an existing PDF document.

For applications that use all previous versions of Essential PDF i.e., if you want to open existing PDF document, please refer Syncfusion.Pdf.Legacy.Base.dll which is included with v5.2 for maintaining compatibility and your application should work without any problem.

We recommend using new library for any new development work since it will be actively supported and enhanced. We regret for the inconvenience caused.

Please refer the release notes for more info.
http://www2.syncfusion.com/installs/v5.2.0.25/release_notes/ReleaseNotes.htm

Regards,
Jaya

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 31, 2007 02:22 AM UTC

Hi Chad,

The feature 'Ability to open and manipulating existing PDF document' will be available in forthcoming release i.e. after 3 months.

Regards,
Jaya

JK Janet Kropp February 1, 2008 04:24 AM UTC

Is this functionality available in the latest release (6.1.0.34)?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team February 1, 2008 05:41 AM UTC

Hi Janet,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

I regret to let you know that in current version (6.1.0.34) , we do not provide support for this feature in our code library. Anyhow this feature 'Ability to open and manipulating existing PDF document' is still under development and it will be available in next release (after 6.1.0.34). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let me know if you require any more details.

Regards,
Jaya

OB Omid Bayani March 31, 2008 12:48 PM UTC

Hi,

I hope that this feature will be available soon because we bought the component because of this specific feature. What is really strange is the fact that in version 5.1 of your PDF component, the PdfDocument class could take a stream as input. It is not possible with anymore with version 6.1.0.34.

Regards,
Omid.

>Hi Janet,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

I regret to let you know that in current version (6.1.0.34) , we do not provide support for this feature in our code library. Anyhow this feature 'Ability to open and manipulating existing PDF document' is still under development and it will be available in next release (after 6.1.0.34). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let me know if you require any more details.

Regards,
Jaya

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 1, 2008 04:09 AM UTC

Hi Omid,

Thanks for the update.

In version 6.2 we do have support for reading document from streams and reading document directly.

Version 6.2 is scheduled to be released by this Month.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,
Bhuvana

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon