We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Creating an Outlook ''To'' control

Hi Guys,

I need to create a control similar to the one used by Outlook for managing list of recipients, ie, the TextBox to the right of the 'To' or 'Cc' buttons on a new Outlook message.

So, the control needs to be able to allow the users to type in text. That text needs to be accepted as an item that can then be deleted but NOT edited. Furthermore, the TextBox must grow as the number of items increases. Additionally, the control must offer 'AutoComplete' as the user types into the list.

I don't even know where to start to begin this control! Would you guys at Syncfusion kindly offer me some suggestions as to what I can use to complete the above functionality?

Regards,
Russell

3 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 24, 2007 02:04 PM UTC

Hi Russell,

Thank you for using Syncfusion products.

Please refer the following update :

1) That text needs to be accepted as an item that can then be deleted but NOT edited

To achieve this, you can add list of items using TextBoxExt. Each item that are typed into TextBoxExt must be ended with unique special character for identification purpose. But you cannot directly delete each item since TextBoxExt treats whole text as a single item. You need to write custom functions for deleting items using Trim functions.

2) TextBox must grow as the number of items increases.

You can increase the TextBoxExt length according to number of special characters added into it.

3) AutoComplete support
You cannot have direct AutoComplete support for each items entered in a TextBoxExt. You need to customize AutoComplete class to achieve this.

You can also use MaskedEditBox control for this.

We are working on the sample and update you once it is done.

Please let us know if you have any other queries.

Regards,
Jaya

RC Russell Coombes October 31, 2007 09:42 PM UTC

Hi Guys,

The management here is now pushing more strongly for this control to be implemented.

Were you able to create the sample as promised? We'd be most grateful if you have!

Regards,
Russell

>Hi Russell,

Thank you for using Syncfusion products.

Please refer the following update :

1) That text needs to be accepted as an item that can then be deleted but NOT edited

To achieve this, you can add list of items using TextBoxExt. Each item that are typed into TextBoxExt must be ended with unique special character for identification purpose. But you cannot directly delete each item since TextBoxExt treats whole text as a single item. You need to write custom functions for deleting items using Trim functions.

2) TextBox must grow as the number of items increases.

You can increase the TextBoxExt length according to number of special characters added into it.

3) AutoComplete support
You cannot have direct AutoComplete support for each items entered in a TextBoxExt. You need to customize AutoComplete class to achieve this.

You can also use MaskedEditBox control for this.

We are working on the sample and update you once it is done.

Please let us know if you have any other queries.

Regards,
Jaya

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team November 5, 2007 11:06 AM UTC

Hi Russell,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Your requirement can be achieved by displaying AutoComplete list for each entries in the TextBoxExt separated by comma.

This can be done in AutoCompleteItemSelected and AutoCompleteCustomize event handlers.

Please refer the below sample that demonstrates the same and let me know if you have any further queries.

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Tools.Windows/F68436/main.htm

Regards,
Jaya

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon