We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

General Excel Like Behaviour

Hi,

Are there any good examples or reusable code stubs that I can use to make the Grid control behave more like Excel.

The following is a list of general excel like behaviour that I would like to reproduce.

1: Control + Arrow keys - moves cell cursor to the cells bordering the transition between contiguous blocks of filled and empty cells(have managed this one to a certain extent).
2: Control + Shift + Arrow keys - similar to the above but allows selection of blocks of cells rather than just navigation.
3: Excel like formulae entry - automatic closure of brackets, navigation / selection of blocks of text when using Ctrl key / Shift + Ctrl key etc...
4: Multiple entry of values when selecting range of cells and entering Ctrl + Enter.

In general, I want to implement as much Excel Like behaviour as possible. Some of this should be boilerplate code for most implimentations of the grid control - is there a repository somewhare?

5 Replies

ST steve_randomno September 5, 2007 04:18 PM UTC

Any ideas?

RA Rajagopal Syncfusion Team September 5, 2007 11:11 PM UTC

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion Products.

You need to have a custom MouseController that AutoFills similar to the Excel. If you mouse hover at the bottom right corner of the cell, a cross cursor appears similar to the Excel and you can extend the selection to AutoFill the up/down rows similar to the Excel.

Please check the below sample for more details.
http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/user/uploads/AutoFill%20Non-Contiguous%20Selection_8b754fbd.zip

Please refer our shipped browser samples for forumula support with grid simliar to excel
\\Syncfusion\EssentialStudio\5.2.1.16\Windows\Grid.Windows\Samples\2.0\FormulaSupport\

To have multiple range of cells getting pasted on pressing enter, you need to handle the CurrentCellKeyDown event. Please refer the below sample that shows this working fine similiar to excel.

http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/user/uploads/GC_ScrollIssue_64b6f6f1.zip

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Rajagopal

ST steve_randomno September 6, 2007 06:11 AM UTC

THanks - I will look into the demos you have supplied.

JB James Blibo October 6, 2007 07:05 AM UTC

Will this excel drag example work for the grid grouping control?

JS Jeba S Syncfusion Team October 26, 2007 02:36 PM UTC

Hi James,

Sorry for the delay in response.

The ExcelLikeSelection behavior and the Excel Selection Marker behavior are particulary designed for GridControl not for GridGroupingControl.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards,
Jeba.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon