We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Getting DecimalPlaces for formula cells

Hi -

In this workbook A1 contains a constant number and is set to display 3 decimal places, while B1 has a formula (=1/3), and is set to display 5 decimal places.

I can get the decimal places for A1 using:

wb.ActiveSheet[1, 1].CellStyle.NumberFormatSettings.DecimalPlaces

but trying the same thing with B1 (wb.ActiveSheet[1, 2]...) fails with a NullReferenceException.

I'm reluctant to parse the CellStyle.NumberFormat string (especially given that I'm having trouble finding a detailed description of what it might contain).

Any ideas what might be going on here?

Thanks,
Christian

decimal-places.zip

5 Replies

SD Sarathi D Syncfusion Team August 25, 2007 12:36 AM UTC

Hi Christian,

Thank you for posting your query to us.

We are able to reproduce the issue here. One way you can work-around this issue by using the below code snippet.

string s = sheet.Range["B1"].CellStyle.NumberFormatSettings.FormatString;
int l = s.Length - 2;
MessageBox.Show(l.ToString());

Please refer to the attached sample for implementation and let me know if this helps.

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/XlsIO.Windows/67608/main.htm

Regards,
Sarathi

KD Konrad Delong August 28, 2007 10:31 AM UTC

After spending some time on the issue, whe ended up parsing format string, as you suggest.

However, the solution doesn't work for cells with alternative formatting for negatives whose format string look like this:

0.000;[Red]0.00

Do you happen to have full formatString specification?

SD Sarathi D Syncfusion Team August 29, 2007 12:34 AM UTC

Hi Christian,

I am afraid that I was not able to reproduce the issue again.I have applied alternate formatting to the cells but I am not able to see the issue.
I have attached the sample which I have worked and it is available here.

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/XlsIO.Windows/F67608/main.htm

Please have a look at the above sample and if still the issue exists, could you please try reproducing it
in the above sample or send us the reproducing steps so that we could sort out the cause of the issue
and provide you a solution?

A sample from you will help a lot to reproduce the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Sarathi

KD Konrad Delong August 29, 2007 10:40 AM UTC

Whoops, seems like I answered to wrong thread...

sorry

KD Konrad Delong August 29, 2007 10:47 AM UTC

OK, sorry once againg for mess on forum threads.

Format string may contain up to 4 sections defining formatting for positive, negative, zero and text data. What's more: they can describe date, time and fraction formatting. It's a legacy excel feature of course, but unfortunately many excel documents take advantage of this, which means that we cannot simply take the length of format string and subtract 2.

Some examples of valid format strings:

General <- yes, this one too
0.000;[Red]-0.00
0.000;[Red]-0.00;[Blue]"ZERO!"
0.000;[Red]-0.00;[Blue]"ZERO!";"text:"_@

Hope the attached example will be of some help.

DecimalRead.zip

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon