We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Grouping multiple columns and sorting the group and columns independently

I have been trying to create an outlook style grouping grid that displays tasks and exhibits the following behaviour:
(I have tried to put this functionality into the Outlook2007 example so the example is familiar and I have attached this)

The user can group by any column and by more than one column
If the user groups by the Received date a custom category is derived from the date that groups batches of dates together (implemented using GroupByColumnCategorizer).
If the user clicks on the Received column in the Group drop area the group is sorted according to the group category (i.e. the Received group category sort order is toggled)
If the user clicks on the Received column header the date column is sorted according to the date cell value (i.e. the Received cell value sort order is toggled)

There are two aspects of this that I have not been able to get working

Firstly, the sorting doesn't work as expected, when clicking on the Received grid column header it does the same as clicking on the Received column header in the group drop area. I expect this is by design but I am wondering if it is possible to change this. An alternative would be to sort the columns before the group is applied but when the group is applied the same sort order is used within the group for the date (i.e. the date sort order cannot be changed). Just for info I am using a GroupByColumnCategorizer on the Received column to derive the categories from the date for grouping. My question here is, is it possible to change the sort order of the date when the group has been applied ?

Secondly, when a secondary group is added (I am using Received and then From) it does not perform the grouping correctly. In the supplied example I looked at the Older group and saw multiple Don section when I would have expected to only see 1. This only seems to happen when I am using a GroupByColumnCategorizer to customise the grouping.

Any help with these would be much appreciated

Thanks
James

Outlook Syncfusion Grid.zip

2 Replies

JE James Evans August 16, 2007 12:03 AM UTC

Hi,

Have you had a chance to look at this problem yet. If you would like me to provide any extra information then please let me know or if you would like me to explain the problem in a different way I can do that also.

Thanks
James

GR Golda Rebecal Syncfusion Team August 21, 2007 02:37 PM UTC

Hi James,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

You have to group by Date column instead of Received column in order to achieve the results you have specified.

Issue 1) Sorting doesn't work as expected, when clicking on the Received grid column header it does the same as clicking on the Received column header in the group drop area

Since the categories(Date:Older,Date:Two Weeks Ago...) have been assigned unique IDs in Date column, if you group by the Date column and then click the Received column header, the sort order of date can be changed.

Issue 2)when a secondary group is added (I am using Received and then From) it does not perform the grouping correctly.
If you group by the Date column and then by the From column, you would see the correct grouping behaviour.

Please refer to the screenshot that shows the same.
http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Grid.Windows/F67154/main.htm

Kindly let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best regards,
Golda

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon