We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

AutoCompleteTextBox dropdown issue

Hi,
I am currently evaluating the Essential Tools for ASP.NET suite. I'm running ASP.NET 2.0 and VS 2005, a demo license for Syncfusion, and IE 6.0.
I’m having a problem with the AutoCompleteTextBox and I’m hoping you can resolve it. I started noticing it in some eval code I wrote, and I narrowed it down to the following excerpt:

where the associated CSS file has the following definition for “content”:
#content {
position: relative;
}

The AutoCompleteTextBox works fine if I don’t use the “content” CSS class in my div tag. However, as soon as I do use it, the dropdown for the AutoCompleteTextBox starts behaving very strangely. Instead of showing up directly under the text box, it appears disconnected, a bit below and to the right of the text box, so that it doesn’t even appear to be associated with the textbox. I’m certainly no expert when it comes to CSS, but I don’t think relative positioning is anything unusual, and none of the other ASP.NET controls I am using exhibit behavior like this. Can you please try to reproduce it on your end, and tell me what can be done about it?
Thanks,

6 Replies

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team July 18, 2007 08:59 AM UTC

Hi Ted,

Thank you for posting your query to us.

I am afraid that I was not able to reproduce the issue. Please refer to the following steps that I tried to reproduce it.

1. Created a sample with the AutoCompleteTextBox using the “content” CSS class in div tag
2. The AutoCompleteTextBox works fine

Also I have created a simple sample to test this issue and it is available in the following link.

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Grid.Web/5.1.0.51/F64188/main.htm

Please have a look at the above sample and if still the issue exists, could you please try reproducing it in the above sample or send us the reproducing steps so that we could sort out the cause of the issue and provide you a solution?

Regards,
Melba

TK Ted Konkel July 18, 2007 01:59 PM UTC

Thank you for your response. In your sample, try changing your style in Default.aspx from:

to:

(change from a CSS class to a CSS ID) and you'll immediately see the "disconnection" I was talking about.
To see the "jog to the right", try changing your style to:

Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Ted

TK Ted Konkel July 18, 2007 07:25 PM UTC

While I'm at it, I might as well use this thread for one other bug I found with the autocompletetextbox dropdown. Let's say you have one of those on your page, followed by a
, then followed by an asp:DropDownList, so the asp:DropDownList is below the autocompletetextbox. When you run the page and start typing in the autocompletetextbox, the dropdown menu actually lies behind the asp:DropDownList control, instead of on top of it. So you see the asp control instead of some of the dropdown menu options. The same thing happens if you follow the autocompletetextbox with an asp:ListBox control.
Can you verify that you are able to reproduce this?
Thanks,
Ted

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team July 19, 2007 02:50 PM UTC

Hi Ted,

Issue 1:
-------
The control breaks while applying the styles. Here is the sample for your reference:

http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/user/uploads/Template_62c864f3.zip

Please let me know if this is the issue you are facing. If this is the case, to facilitate tracking the progress of the fix, and timely resolution, we request you to create an incident in our incident database Direct Trac. Our development team would be able to determine the fix and alert you with the service pack download details as soon as they are made available.

Issue 2:
-------
We have identified this issue of "Popup of the AutoComplete Control renders below the DropDown list" to be a defect and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. To facilitate tracking the progress of the fix, and timely resolution, we request you to create an incident in our incident database Direct Trac. Our development team would be able to determine the fix and alert you with the service pack download details as soon as they are made available.

Thanks,
Melba

TK Ted Konkel July 19, 2007 04:38 PM UTC

Concerning issues 1 and 2, yes, those are the problems I was seeing. Thanks for confirming them. As I haven't actually purchased your product (I'm still evaluating), shouldn't you be entering these problems in the DB for tracking? That's what has been done for the bugs I've found with other syncfusion controls.
Thanks,
Ted

VA Valli Syncfusion Team July 23, 2007 01:25 PM UTC

Hi Ted,

We believe that source level changes are needed to resolve this issues discussed above and we thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. To facilitate tracking the progress of the fix, and timely resolution, we request you to follow

1. The incident #35969 in our incident database Direct Trac - regarding the Issue 1 : The AutoComplete control crashes when wrapped by a div tag whose position is set to relative.

1. The incident #35971 in our incident database Direct Trac - regarding the Issue 2 : Popup of the AutoComplete Control renders below the Dropdown list.

Our development team would be able to determine the fix and alert you with the service pack download details as soon as they are made available.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Thanks & Regards,
Valli

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon