We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

MulticolumnComboBox With autocomplete function

hi,

i need a combobox with multicolumn function and autocomplete(same like the control ComboBoxAutoComplete).

Is there any Control that can meet what i needed?

if not, do you have any suggestion?
Thanks!

15 Replies

JA JayaLakshmi Syncfusion Team June 12, 2007 06:38 AM UTC

Hi Lim,

Thank you for using Syncfusion products.

Your requirement can be satisfied with MultiColumnComboBox in which AutoComplete functionality is enabled by default.

The code snippet used is as follows :
this.multiColumnComboBox1.AutoComplete = true;

Kindly refer the attached sample in the below link and let me know if you have any queries.
http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Tools.Windows/F62261/main.htm

Thanks,
Jaya

AA aa June 12, 2007 09:13 AM UTC

hi,

Thanks for reply.

The multicolumnCombobox autocomplete feacture is not really same as the ComboBoxAutoComplete.

The one i needed is exactly same as ComboBoxAutoComplete but with multicolumn.

My requirement is when user keyin a "S" then all items in the list start with "S" will be shown.
I dont even have to open the drop down list.

Thanks.

JA JayaLakshmi Syncfusion Team June 12, 2007 02:10 PM UTC

Hi Lim,

Thanks for the update.

Could you please refer the below sample and let me know if this meets your requirement.

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Tools.Windows/F62261_modified/ComboBoxAutoComplete.htm

In the attached sample, multiple columns are added to ComboBoxAutoComplete control.

Thanks,
Jaya

AA aa June 13, 2007 03:17 AM UTC

hi Jaya ,

Thanks for reply!

This is quite near to my requirements.

Is there any properties that can make the DropDown Border auto drop down when each time i keyin something on the combobox? I found out that would happens only at the first time..

And how to make the DropDown border auto resize to fix the contents of each column?

Thanks!

AA aa June 14, 2007 11:37 AM UTC

hi Jaya,

Let me know if you need more information from me.

Thanks!

JA JayaLakshmi Syncfusion Team June 14, 2007 02:33 PM UTC

Hi lim,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

(1) The AutoComplete dropdown gets shown only when the typed text matches with the history list. When you type the text which is not in history list, then the dropdown will not be shown.

(2) I will update you tomorrow on resizing each of the columns to fit its content.

Kindly let me know if I misunderstood your requirement.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Jaya

JA JayaLakshmi Syncfusion Team June 14, 2007 06:18 PM UTC

Hi Lim,

Regarding (2) : The width of the columns in the AutoComplete dropdown window is controlled through the Columns property of the AutoComplete control. The Columns property is a collection of AutoCompleteDataColumnInfo objects (one object for each column). You can set this by clicking on the "Refresh Columns" verb in the property window and then changing the MinColumnWidth property of the AutoCompleteDataColumnInfo object.

The code snippet is as follows :

this.comboBoxAutoComplete1.AutoCompleteControl.Columns[1].MinColumnWidth = 3;

Kindly let me know if this meets your requirement.

Regards,
Jaya

AA aa June 18, 2007 11:43 AM UTC

hi Jaya,

Thanks for your patience!

There are still some issues that i facing now:

1.The dropdown doesn't show no matter typed text matches with the history list or not AT THE SECOND TIME(Close the dropdown border that show at the first time).

2. How to unselect the combobox? The method "comboBoxAutoComplete1.SelectedIndex = -1" doesn't work!

3. The autoCompleteCombobox become extremely slow when there are more than 10k items bind into the combobox. Any trick to solve this?

Your help is important for me!

Thanks Jaya!

AA aa June 21, 2007 02:14 AM UTC

hi Jaya,

Please let me know if you need more information from me.

Thanks!

JA JayaLakshmi Syncfusion Team June 22, 2007 02:13 PM UTC

Hi Lim,

(1)I will get back to you once I found solution for this.

(2) This is known issue. Could you please open a DirectTrac incident with subject line 'ComboBox.SelectedIndex=-1 is not working- F62261'. We will send you the bug fix details through our DirectTrac system.

(3) I am afraid that I could not able to reproduce this. Please take a look in the modified sample and try to reproduce the issue you faced.

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Tools.Windows/F62261_modified1/main.htm

Regards,
Jaya

JA JayaLakshmi Syncfusion Team June 25, 2007 12:55 PM UTC

Hi lim,

(1) I could able to see this issue at my end. Thank you for bringing this issue to our notice.
Could you please open a DirectTrac incident with subject line 'The dropdown of ComboBoxAutoComplete is not shown at the second time - F62261'. We will send you the bug fix details through our DirectTrac system.

Regards,
Jaya

AA aa June 26, 2007 03:44 AM UTC

hi Jaya,

Thanks for your effort!

(3)I've tried the sample that you provided.
I DO face the issue(extremely slow ) that i mentioned. It takes more than 20 SECONDS to dropdown the list!
For your information,
my PC specification is Pentium 4 1.8, 1GB DDRAM,
and i don't face lagging when i used System ComboBox..

Regards,
lim

JA JayaLakshmi Syncfusion Team June 28, 2007 01:40 PM UTC

Hi Lim,

I am able to see the performance issue while opening a ComboBoxAutoComplete popup with more than 10,000 possible matches.

There are two main differences between populating a ComboBox dropdown and an AutoComplete dropdown.

1) The ComboBox dropdown usually only has to be populated once. Any changes after that can be a single addition to list. AutoComplete has to repopulate every time since the list of matches changes frequently.

2) The ComboBox can be populated ahead of time. AutoComplete cannot, since the list of matches is constantly changing.

I will look into this issue further and let you know the details by tomorrow.

Regards,
Jaya

JA JayaLakshmi Syncfusion Team July 2, 2007 07:10 AM UTC

Hi Lim,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

We have already logged 'Improving the performance of AutoComplete Popup when they are more than 10,000 matcing entries" as a feature request and notified our development team. We will implement this feature after next release. We usually have a timeframe of at least three months between releases. The feature implementation would also greatly depend on the factors like product design, code compatibility and complexity. We will get back to you once the feature is implemented.

Thanks for your patience in this regard.

Thanks,
Jaya

LI lim July 3, 2007 02:55 AM UTC

Hi Jaya,

Please email me when the feature is done.

Thanks!

Regards,
Lim

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon