We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Secondary Y-Axis Questions

I am considering your product for use in our project. The control I need is a line graph control with these features:

1) Ability to have any number of Y-axis's tied to the data (e.g. say 3, 4 or even 10 secondary axes). Many chart programs have support for 2 (Y1 and Y2). I need more than two. This link on your web site shows two, but can even more be added?

http://www.syncfusion.com/products/chart/windows/features/Axes_Feature/Secondary_Axes.aspx

2) The y-axis legend would stack all on one side showing the minimum/maximum values for each line. Just like the first "Network Load" image on the link above, but instead of stacking on the x-axis it stacks on the y-axis.

3) The axis legends would be color coded to match the line drawn.

4) Zooming the x or y axis would zoom all data lines together. When zooming the y-axis, all the axis legends would update showing the new min/max values for that range.

5) Scrolling the data on x-axis and y-axis needs to be possible.

6) Waving the mouse over line data points will show a popup of the exact value at that point (or if you have some other way of getting an exact value on a graph, let me know).

Its been tough finding a control that will meet these requirements.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dave

3 Replies

RF Rashidha F Syncfusion Team May 24, 2007 10:47 AM UTC

Hi DaveL,

Thanks for evaluating Essential Chart.

You can able to achieve your all requirement using Essential Chart Control.

1)Multiple Axes:

Essential Chart support Multiple X and Y axes. You can able to add more than one secondary xy axes in chart control.

2)Axes Alignment:

Able to align the secondary axes using ChartAxesLayoutMode feature and possible to locate and customize the size of the primary and secondary axes. Also it's support to display an axes Min/Max value as a legend text while zooming using visible range property.

The following code snippet which illustrates how to align axes in different manner.

//Y axes alignment:

this.chartControl1.ChartArea.YAxesLayoutMode = ChartAxesLayoutMode.SideBySide;
this.chartControl1.ChartArea.YAxesLayoutMode = ChartAxesLayoutMode.Stacking;

//X axes alignment:

this.chartControl1.ChartArea.XAxesLayoutMode = ChartAxesLayoutMode.SideBySide;
this.chartControl1.ChartArea.XAxesLayoutMode = ChartAxesLayoutMode.Stacking;

3)Appearance:

Able to customize the Legend item color and series color. You can able to match the legend item color to series color.

4,5)Zooming and Scrolling Support:

Essential Chart Support both primary xy, multiple axes zooming and scrolling.

The following code snippet which illustrates how to enable XY axes zooming.

this.chartControl1.EnableXZooming=true;
this.chartControl1.EnableYZooming=true;

6)You can able to display data points using PrepareStyle Event and tooltip feature in ChartControl.

Please take a look at the attached sample.

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Chart.Windows/F61353/main.htm

The above sample exhibit the following features in chart control.

a)Multiple Y-axes.
b)Axes alignment .
c)Customization of the axes, legend and series color.
d)Axes Zooming and scrolling.
e)Tooltip.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Thanks and Regards,
Rashidha.

DA DaveL May 24, 2007 10:40 PM UTC

Thank you, this was very helpful and looks to be very close to what I need.

One more question. Some of the data I'm plotting has missing data, or gaps. Can the chart handle "skipping" a data point and just drawing a straight line right over the missing data point?

For instance, if I have two sets of data:

Reading Data1 Data2
1 100 53
2 55 23
3 66
4 35 12
5 97 72

Data 2 is missing the 3rd value. I'd like the graph to draw a stright line betwen 23 and 12 skipping over the 3rd data point. When the graph lines are drawn, both lines are the same length (one is not shorter).

Make sense?

Many chart controls can't handle this.

Please advise.

RF Rashidha F Syncfusion Team May 28, 2007 07:19 AM UTC

Hi DaveL,

My apologies for the delay in responding to you.

You can able to achieve your requirements using Essential Chart. Please take a look at the attached sample.

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Chart.Windows/F61353_1/main.htm

Let me if you have any more queries.

Regards,
Rashidha.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon