We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Bitmap modes and labels

Hi there !

I just began using your diagram v5 a few day ago - its very nice. BUT I find it quite hard to figure out how to use some of the features because of the limited amount of documentation.
My current problem is this:
I have made a bitmapnode and can display it, but I would also like to associate a label to it. How is that done (if at all possible).

20 Replies

MF Meera Fathima Syncfusion Team May 23, 2007 12:30 PM UTC

Hello Daniel,

I am sorry about this delay in responding.

Regarding your query, if your intension is to add label to a bitmapnode, you can do this by customizing the BitmapNode class and adding labels property into it. Also you need to override RenderContiguousData() method within the custom bitmapnode class which is used to render labels on bitmap nodes.

I have created a sample that shows this functionality. You can get the sample from the following link - http://files.syncfusion.com/support/samples/Diagram.Windows/F61245/Bitmap_Label.zip

A bitmap node is added from the form-load() method. You can also add more labels to the custom bitmap node using the Labels property in the property editor at runtime.

Please let me know whether the above details are helpful.

Thank you for using Essential Diagram.

Best Regards,
Meera.

DP Daniel Preisler Larsen May 23, 2007 01:08 PM UTC

Thank you very much :)

Regards Daniel

>
Hello Daniel,

Regarding your query, if your intension is to add label to a bitmapnode, you can do this by customizing the BitmapNode class and adding labels property into it. Also you need to override RenderContiguousData() method within the custom bitmapnode class which is used to render labels on bitmap nodes.

I have created a sample that shows this functionality. You can get the sample from the following link - http://files.syncfusion.com/support/samples/Diagram.Windows/F61245/Bitmap_Label.zip

A bitmap node is added from the form-load() method. You can also add more labels to the custom bitmap node using the Labels property in the property editor at runtime.

Best Regards,
Meera.

ER ERobishaw May 25, 2007 03:59 PM UTC

Using the example you provided, if you change the label text to something longer, and then resize the shape of the bitmap to something narrower than the text, the text gets clipped until you do smething to the canvas to force a redraw.

the shape continues to have redraw / clipping issues when you move it, or select / deselect it, etc...

My guess is, the BoundingRect needs to be updated to include the widest label in the collection.

What's the best way to go about this?

RR Ramya R Syncfusion Team May 28, 2007 09:36 AM UTC

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the update.

If your intention is to add a label to a bitmapnode and display the entire text of the label eventhough the size of the bitmap node is
decreased, then it can done by customizing the Group class to create a bitmap node with label instead of the BitmapNode class.

I have modified the sample provided to you previously and have attached the same here.

You can download the sample from the below given webpage link,
http://files.syncfusion.com/support/samples/Diagram.Windows/F61245-II/BitmapNode_LabelSample.zip

Let me know whether this helps you.

Thanks & Regards,
Ramya.

DP Daniel Preisler Larsen June 22, 2007 08:31 AM UTC

Hi.

I have now done as you suggested and it seems to work fine. There is one thing Im wondering about though...

When I run my application and the diagram with nodes and labels are drawn, the RenderContiguousData method is called - over and over all the time - even though no changes are made to the diagram what so ever.
Is that the way it is supposed to work?
Intuitivly I would think that the method only needs to be called when the icon has been moved or some other change to the diagram would require the label to be redrawn.

Kind Regards
Daniel

>
Hello Daniel,

Best Regards,
Meera.

MF Meera Fathima Syncfusion Team June 22, 2007 11:55 AM UTC

Hello Daniel,

The RenderContiguousData() method is used to draw the contiguous data such as labels and ports. This method is called from the Node.Draw() method which gets raised while the node is being rendered/displayed on the diagram. And hence the RenderContiguousData() method also gets called if any node is present in the diagram to render the label/port's visual representation.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Meera.

DP Daniel Preisler Larsen June 22, 2007 12:49 PM UTC

Hi

Thank you for your very quick responce :)

I understand what you write but shouldnt the update of the view only be made when changes are made. I mean - Drawing the same things over and over seems quite superfluous. One could expect the drawing of the labels etc. to be triggered by some sort of onChange event.
Are you saying that the nodes and labels will disappear from view if they are not drawn as often as they are now?

Thanks
Daniel

>
Hello Daniel,

The RenderContiguousData() method is used to draw the contiguous data such as labels and ports. This method is called from the Node.Draw() method which gets raised while the node is being rendered/displayed on the diagram. And hence the RenderContiguousData() method also gets called if any node is present in the diagram to render the label/port's visual representation.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Meera.

MF Meera Fathima Syncfusion Team June 29, 2007 01:42 PM UTC

Hello Daniel,

My sincere apologies for this delay in responding. I will look into the source regarding the issue that you have posted and will let you know whether it is an issue or not. And if it is an issue I will try for an workaround if available at the application level.

Many thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
Meera.

MF Meera Fathima Syncfusion Team July 6, 2007 11:53 AM UTC

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your patience.

Could you please post a new Direc Trac incident with the subject of this forum. So that you can get more details regarding your query through the Direc Trac.

Please do let me know if you have any technical questions or I can be of any other assistance. I will be glad to assist you.

Thanks for your support to Syncfusion products.

Best Regards,
Meera.

MF Meera Fathima Syncfusion Team July 6, 2007 12:55 PM UTC

Hi Daniel,

In continuing with my previous mail I would like to inform you that ,we have identified this issue of " The RenderContiguousData() method is getting called again and again" to be a defect and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. To facilitate tracking the progress of the fix, and timely resolution, we request you to create an incident in our incident database Direct Trac. Our development team would be able to determine the fix and alert you with the service pack download details as soon as they are made available.

Please do let me know if you have any technical questions or I can be of any other assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Best Regards,
Meera.

Syncfusion, Inc.
http://www.syncfusion.com/

MF Meera Fathima Syncfusion Team July 10, 2007 11:36 AM UTC

Hello Daniel,

I believe you have posted a new Direc Trac incident(# 35464) with the subject of this forum. Please follow-up with this incident to get more details about the status of this issue.

Best Regards,
Meera.

Syncfusion, Inc.
http://www.syncfusion.com/

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 3, 2008 12:57 PM UTC

Hi,
Does that latest Syncfusion version supports labels in Bitmap node (i mean,without having to customize the BitmapNode class)?

Thanks.

J. J.Nagarajan Syncfusion Team June 4, 2008 05:48 AM UTC

Hi Shimon ,

You can customize the Group class and you can add BitmapNode and labels. Please refer to the attached sample that demonstrates this completely.

http://files.syncfusion.com/support/samples/Diagram.Windows/F61245_June4/QuickStart.zip

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Nagaraj

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 4, 2008 07:33 AM UTC

Hi,
Thank for your quick reply.
I am afraid that it still did not solve my problem.
I created a pallet using the Symbol Designer.
The pallet includes an image symbol.
Now,in the Diagram Builder,when the user drag the symbol from the pallet into the diagram,i want to set a label to the bitmap node (the label should be editable from code).
How can I do it ?

Thanks.

J. J.Nagarajan Syncfusion Team June 5, 2008 11:30 AM UTC

Hi Shimon ,

Currently the BitmapNode does not have the Label property to directly add the labels. We have logged a feature request in this regard and forward this to our developers for more analysis. I will get back to you with more details regarding this feature on or before 11th June 2008.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards ,
Nagaraj

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 15, 2008 08:50 AM UTC

Hi all,

Any updates on this?

-Bracha

J. J.Nagarajan Syncfusion Team June 16, 2008 11:30 AM UTC

Hi Bracha ,

This has been confirmed as a feature. We will implement this feature in our forthcoming new version releases or service pack releases. We usually have a time frame of at least three months between releases. We will get back to you once this feature has been implemented.

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

Regards,
Nagaraj

BR Brian Richards June 5, 2012 07:39 PM UTC

Did this label property ever get added to a BitmapNode, I'm using 10.2 and can't find it, and I can't download the samples from this thread.

BR Brandon March 1, 2013 07:09 PM UTC

I am looking for this same feature?  Is it available yet?  I noticed that this question has been unanswered for some time now.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

AA Amsath Ali M Syncfusion Team March 6, 2013 07:35 AM UTC

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion products.

Since the requested feature has not been implemented yet, and we don’t have any immediate plans to implement this feature in our next release. The feature implementation would also greatly depend on the factors such as product design, code compatibility and complexity. We will get back to you once this feature is planned for our release cycle.

Please let us know if you have any queries.

Regards,

Amsath Ali. M

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon