We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

RichTextEditor - Font Property not have an affect at run time.

Dear Support:

In testing the newest Beta, I find that for the RichTextEditor control, if you set the Font property to a Font, and then run the Web application, the control ignores what should be this new default Font setting, and displays any text typed into the text box apparently in Times Roman.

I also tried setting the Font and size in code. For example, I placed the following code within the Page_Load:

RichTextEditor1.Font.Name = "Verdona"
RichTextEditor1.Font.Size = 10

The control likewise ignored this setting as well.

I checked your knowledgebase, and found that there was a single posting dealing with how in code to add "custom tools to the Editor Control." This knowledge base article stated that the following code could be used:

RichTextEditor1.NamedFonts.Add("Verdana")
RichTextEditor1.NamedSize.Add("3");

I tried this as well. The first line in adding the Font was allowed by the control, but had no affect at run time either alone or when used in conjuction with the prior line I offered:

RichTextEditor1.NamedFonts.Add("Verdana")
RichTextEditor1.Font.Name = "Verdona"

The second line of code offered in the knowledgebase article was even less successful:

RichTextEditor1.NamedSize.Add("3")

The above line of code returns an Error when compiled that "NamedSize" is not a member of "Syncfusion.Web.UI.WebControls.Tools.RichTextEditor."

I did see that when the control is running, you can set the Font at that time from the toolbar, and indeed then that Font setting is respected and used.

However, in this case, I had hoped to set the Font in advance and have no toolbar's showing on the RichTextEditor. The control apparently does not support the Font property at this time as programmers have come to expect.

Is this forum where I should be reporting apparent bugs? Could you please tell me (a) if this condition is to be corrected, and (b) when I might see this correction?

Sincerely,

Burton G. Wilkins

1 Reply

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 5, 2007 05:23 PM UTC

Hi Burton,

The Font property is meant to force the font on the text you see in the editor outside the content editor portion (like in the word count label, etc.).

The NamedFonts and NamedSizes properties let you affect the entries in the dropdown that appears in the toolbars.

There really is no good way to force a specific font on the user edited content.

But, there might be an easy workaround or way to support this, I will check with our developers and get back to you asap.

Could you also please elaborate on your requirement? I see that you mention:

"I would like to use your RichTextEditor as an alternative to the TextBox control from Microsoft, for calculated displays of paragraph length text, but also to allow the user to edit or add text to the calculated text placed within the RichTextEditor."

I am not sure how our editor is going to provide you a value-add, if you are going to turn off all toolbars. It makes sense if you are going to add some rich content to the editor by default, But, you also mention the font will be Verdana, so it's going to be html and in Verdana?

If so, if the user edits at the middle of your page, then he will automatically inherit the Verdana setting from the vicinity, but if he appends his content to the end, then he might end up with a default font. Is that what you are trying to avoid?

-Praveen

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon